Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro

bannergdt.png

[FIELDSET="THE MATCHUP"]
2016/2017 REGULAR SEASON
GAME #15 - 11/12/2016

vs
NYR: 10-4-0_______________CGY: 5-9-1

TIME | 10:00 PM ET VENUE | SCOTIABANK SADDLEDOME - CALGARY, AB TV | MSG+, CBC, SN1

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="ONLINE STREAMS/RADIO"]
ONLINE STREAMS: NOT ALLOWED | RADIO FEED: CLICK HERE

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEWS & NOTES"]

GAME LINKS:

Game Preview - Last Matchup; NYR@CGY 12/12/15 - NHL.com - RANGERS.com - FLAMES.com
Larry Brooks - NYDN - Rangers Report - MSG.com - Yahoo Sports - ESPN - CBC - SNET - TSN

AROUND THE LEAGUE:

aroundtheleague.png

NOVEMBER SCHEDULE:

novemberschedule.png

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="QUOTES TO NOTE"]

That’s the worst thing that can happen, when you’re sitting on the bench and you have to go in a tie game and the other team has got some momentum going.
We didn’t play that well tonight, so I felt bad for Hanky, but that’s the league rules so you just have to come off and do the testing. So it’s tough.
- Antti Raanta

AV told us these were a big two points that we needed really badly.
I don’t think we were unprepared or there was a lack of energy in the room before the game, but it was just ugly, ugly hockey for two periods.
And then in the third when we finally found a little jam, we opened ourselves up.
- Derek Stepan

Our execution was nonexistent. We couldn’t make a 10-foot pass, and when you execute like that.
You can’t pass, and you can’t put your speed on display, we didn’t deserve to win tonight, that’s it. It’s that simple.
- Alain Vigneault

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="CALGARY FLAMES"]

TEAM STATS / STANDINGS:

GP | 15 | GF | 38
W | 5 | GA | 55
L | 9 | GF/G | 2.47
OTL | 1 | GA/G | 3.60
Pts | 11 | PIM/G | 11:27
HOME | 2-5-0 | PP% | 8.0
AWAY | 3-4-1 | PK% | 72.1
L10 | 4-6-0 | FO% | 50.5
STREAK | L3 | S/O | 1-1

Division | 6th
Conference | 13th
League | 28th

TEAM LEADERS:

Goals | Michael Frolik | 5 Assists | Backlund, Gaudreau | 6 Points | Frolik, Gaudreau | 6 + / - | Deryk Engelland | +9 Shots | Dougie Hamilton | 41 Hits | Troy Brouwer | 40 Blocks | Mark Giordano | 43 PIM | Sam Bennett | 26 FO% | Matt Stajan | 56.7 TOI/G F: | Johnny Gaudreau | 19:17 TOI/G D: | Mark Giordano | 24:59

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
johnny GAUDREAU | sean MONAHAN | alex CHIASSON
micheal FERLAND | mikael BACKLUND | michael FROLIK
hunter SHINKARUK | sam BENNETT | troy BROUWER
linden VEY | matt STAJAN | freddie HAMILTON

LD | RD
mark GIORDANO | t.j. BRODIE
jyrki JOKIPAKKA | dougie HAMILTON
brett KULAK | deryk ENGELLAND

Scratched
dennis WIDEMAN

STARTING GOALIE:

Elliott-Brian_1.png

Brian Elliott

GPI: 10 | W: 3 | L: 7 | OT: 0 | PIM: 0
SV% .885 | GAA: 3.30 | SA: 286 | GA: 33 | SO: 0

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

Matthew Tkachuk | Wrist (DTD)
Lance Bouma | Upper body (IR)
Kris Versteeg | Groin (IR)
Ladislav Smid | Neck (IR)

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEW YORK RANGERS"]

TEAM STATS / STANDINGS:

GP | 14 | GF | 58
W | 10 | GA | 34
L | 4 | GF/G | 4.14
OTL | 0 | GA/G | 2.43
Pts | 20 | PIM/G | 5:51
HOME | 8-2-0 | PP% | 22.4
AWAY | 2-2-0 | PK% | 84.2
L10 | 8-2-0 | FO% | 49.8
STREAK | L1 | S/O | 0-0

Division | 1st
Conference | 2nd
League | 3rd

TEAM LEADERS:

Goals | Grabner, Nash | 7 Assists | McD, Skjei, Stepan | 9 Points | Hayes, Miller | 13 + / - | Grabner, Miller | +12 Shots | Rick Nash | 42 Hits | Brady Skjei | 27 Blocks | Kevin Klein | 28 PIM | Jesper Fast | 10 FO% | Mika Zibanejad | 53.6 TOI/G F: | Mats Zuccarello | 18:44 TOI/G D: | Ryan McDonagh | 24:20

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
pavel BUCHNEVICH | mika ZIBANEJAD | mats ZUCCARELLO
chris KREIDER | derek STEPAN (A) | rick NASH (A)
jimmy VESEY | kevin HAYES | j.t. MILLER
mike GRABNER | brandon PIRRI | jesper FAST

LD | RD
ryan MCDONAGH (C) | dan GIRARDI (A)
marc STAAL (A) | brady SKJEI
nick HOLDEN | kevin KLEIN

Scratched
adam CLENDENING |
oscar LINDBERG |

STARTING GOALIE:

LundqvistHenrik2.png

Henrik Lundqvist

GPI: 11 | W: 7 | L: 4 | OT: 0 | PIM: 0
SV% .908 | GAA: 2.39 | SA: 262 | GA: 24 | SO: 1

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

Josh Jooris | Shoulder (IR)

[/FIELDSET]

bannerboys5.png

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Tonight is going to be gooooooooooooooooood. Going to my alma's game, and then by the time that's done, the first period for this will be just about over. So...I get to have like...5-6 hours of hockey in a row.

Great night :yo:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Really positive to see how much urgency the management and coaching staff share on the problem down the right side. They aren't blind to the problems between Marc Staal and Girardi's situations and they're not delusional about Nick Holden anymore. Moving Brady to the right side is a determined move so that's good to see.

At this point, Girardi with McDonagh isn't the worst thing ever. It weighs down McDonagh a tremendous amount but as far as the team is concerned, that's the best way to use Girardi.

The coaching staff came to the conclusion that Staal-Holden is not a workable pair. Those three shifts against the Canucks where we got pinned in our zone that lead to multiple chances and the 1st goal against was caused by the ineptitude of Staal and Holden and the coaching staff see it as a problem stemming from Holden not playing his natural position hence Brady being moved to the right side now. The AV philosophy on our RHD situation is to create balanced pairings. We're hoping to see a dynamite McDonagh-Skjei or McDonagh-Trouba type pairing but until our entire RHD depth is fixed enough that we have a genuine 2nd pairing and 3rd pairing guy, McDonagh is always going to be paired with a 3rd pairing guy i.e. Girardi or Holden because that's the best way to insulate our horde of 2nd/3rd pairing guys. We need a proper 2nd and 3rd RHD that can handle their own **** so AV doesn't feel compelled to create two good but not great pairings. AV is high enough on Klein that he never puts him with McDonagh.

With Klein struggling a bit to start the season (injury or no), The right side is down right hippo poop. At best, Klein has played like a 2nd pairing defenseman this year. Girardi has been a decent 3rd and Holden has been a solid ECHL call up.

People rag on Marc Staal but I think Staal has been fine. Not good and at times unable to get the puck out and losing battles and getting into some real "oh ****" moments but considering he's been used a decent amount against top opposition and paired with a combo of Holden, meh Klein and Girardi, I'm not too concerned about Staal. He's seeing the ice better and moving the puck better. Needs to stop jamming himself along the boards or behind the net and move that puck to a better spot quicker. That's the issue with Staal-Holden. Two natural LHD trying to do the same thing in the same spots and they're not supporting each other. They're just doing their own thing and the puck never gets the Dora the Explorer one two three move out of the zone. It just goes 1-1-2-1-1-2-1-2 and then in the back of our net.

That said, lots of ice time for Brady now. Brady is now our #1 RHD. From the humble beginnings in October as our #3 LHD to our #1 puck moving RHD in November. Management really likes what he brings. If Gorton, Vigneault, & co. hated McIlrath's lack of speed, puck moving, and skill then they must love Brady's speed, puck moving, and skill all the more to compensate for the McIlrath debacle. Hopefully Brady can succeed as our #1 RHD.

Now there's a good puck mover on every pairing. Staal and Holden was a disaster from day 1. Neither can move the puck well below the faceoff dots and neither has foot speed with Staal looking like Sonic the Hedgehog compared to Holden. Once the puck is behind them, it's not going to go well unless they're way backed up. When you have two guys that wants to get into the dirty spots and fight for the puck, you end up relying too much on the forwards to not only get the puck out (maybe even transition) but also play defense in front of the net which is never a good idea. That's pretty much everything that went wrong with the Staal-Holden pairing last game and Buch failed to clear twice. That's where Brady comes in to help Staal.

Hoping real badly that Brady shines.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Expecting big things from Kreider-Stepan-Nash today.

Have also enjoyed the way Zib and Buch play together. These lines could work. Think they'd be more optimal if Zucc and Kreider were flipped, but oh well.

LGR

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Yep. Damn time zones.

Actually, I thought it was going to start earlier. But since it's starting at 10pm ET, this means I can get home from my hockey game, throw on some comfy clothes, and then pull up the game on my computer. No having to rush anymore :D

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Yep. Damn time zones.

Actually, I thought it was going to start earlier. But since it's starting at 10pm ET, this means I can get home from my hockey game, throw on some comfy clothes, and then pull up the game on my computer. No having to rush anymore :D

It's at 10 because it's on HNIC.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
The Flames have problems in pretty well all areas right now. The offense seem to be missing on a lot of good opportunities that they would have put away last season. They are just not getting good enough contributions across the team. They look scrambly out there. It's not just their special teams. Without even wearing my Rangers-coloured glasses, they should definitely beat the Flames. The same old sports cliche of not taking anything for granted applies as always, written in 5 point typeface prefixed by an asterisk down below the more exciting stuff.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wearing my Zucc shirsey today. Rongos are 7/7 when I wear it. Don't worry, I got this in the bag.

*knocks on wood*

Morten

May 24, 2014
these 4am starts are cruel, guess i'll be firing up my playstation tonight to keep myself awake

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
So excited for the new lines *cross fingers*
Grabner back on the 4th, all good. ;)

By the way do you need a subscription to watch videos now?
I sent a support mail to NHL, and they were asking for one without answer the video issue, and my friend couldn`t watch videoes from NHL and this changed like three days ago (He also tried satellite connection with his phone, but it didn`t work?)

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So excited for the new lines *cross fingers*
Grabner back on the 4th, all good. ;)

By the way do you need a subscription to watch videos now?
I sent a support mail to NHL, and they were asking for one without answer the video issue, and my friend couldn`t watch videoes from NHL and this changed like three days ago (He also tried satellite connection with his phone, but it didn`t work?)

Nope. I have never needed a subscription to watch videos on NHL.com. Check your plugins and Flash player.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The Flames have problems in pretty well all areas right now. The offense seem to be missing on a lot of good opportunities that they would have put away last season. They are just not getting good enough contributions across the team. They look scrambly out there. It's not just their special teams. Without even wearing my Rangers-coloured glasses, they should definitely beat the Flames. The same old sports cliche of not taking anything for granted applies as always, written in 5 point typeface prefixed by an asterisk down below the more exciting stuff.

In the 4 or 5 times I've seen them this year,they have looked as bad as anyone. Their personnel isn't great, but it's not this bad. At least I didn't think it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad