GDT: #15 - 02/19/2013 | Montreal Canadiens @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG, RDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Bob Richards*

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Galchenyuk play.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'd actually go with the speed of Kreider instead of Mashinter, but thats me. While he wasn't uber assertive on the puck in Boston, i thought Kreider actually played well and was building up his game. Was disappointed he was taken out of lineup, but thought Boyle deserved a shot coming back.

Now that Powe is out I feel like you give the minutes back to Kreider. Even if hes on the 4th. They've been getting some minutes anyway. I dont think a cerebral kid like Kreider benefits from sitting in the press box too much. He needs minutes at this level even if its only 8-12 tonight. Especially since you have the option of moving up the lineup if his motor is going.

If Torts feels like he wants to give Mashinter a shot and he proves he belongs at this level (i dont know how you can do that with just one game ) then you have to send Kreider to the first line in the AHL. Thing is its a risk because if Mash has a good game or two and then falls off a cliff then you are stuck bringing Kreids back again and then he starts to become a ping pong ball.

Itll be very interesting to see what Torts decides to do tonight. My gut is he start Mashinter to get a look but I think its at the expense of Kreiders development to a small degree. I feel Torts needs to show some trust but its got to be a stretch of games. Its one or the other.

Last edited:

*Bob Richards*

I remember when I had ESPN updates for the Rangers on my "dumb" phone. I remember turning them off for the Penguins games last year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The coaches need to sit Kreider down and tell him to watch every play Pacioretty and Cole make on the other side. Bourque is another one. Those are the types of players he should be watching. Those are the types of players he needs to emulate his game after.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
The coaches need to sit Kreider down and tell him to watch every play Pacioretty and Cole make on the other side. Bourque is another one. Those are the types of players he should be watching. Those are the types of players he needs to emulate his game after.
Bourque and patch but not cole this year lol

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Have to take advantage of our games in hand. Montreal always gives us trouble, but I feel good.

LGR!

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Kreider just isn't contributing and needs to work on his game in CT. Figure out how to be an effective player, because at the moment he isn't. This goes for Miller as well to a lesser extent, neither are NHL ready at this point IMO.

The problem is that neither player is making many glaringly bad plays, so the very few good plays they have made sticks out in peoples minds. But the fact is that the Rangers are consistently outplayed when they are on the ice, and they are unable to create or maintain any offensive pressure.

Mash should play, and Boyle shouldn't even be in a discussion whether he should play or not. Call up Ferriero.

Totally disagree, especially on Miller.

Kreider has had his struggles especially with managing the speed of the game and behind hard on the puck, but Miller has been more than fine for a 19 year old.

Miller quietly had a fantastic game against the Caps. He was solid on the puck, covered up for the D to prevent odd-man rushes on a few occasions. Was very hard on the puck in all areas of the ice. Sure he wasnt getting a ton of offensive chances, but he wasnt killing the Rangers defensively. I think he carries a presence on the ice, and being out on the ice with less then 2 minutes to go in a one goal game on Sunday proves that.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Yeah but there comes a time when hes got to do it himself instead of admiring and trying to copy the Hagelins and Paciorettys. This is when you start playing around with the development of a player too much. Let him play... whether its here or in the A. The kid knows how to play, is smart. It will come with time and hell create his own game instead of thinking too much trying to emulate.

The kid can flat out fly. Just skate, be in the right spot and get on the puck. Thats all hes got to do. Simplify it. Work on it, in practice and in games.

I feel like everytime hes building towards it he gets sat. Torts always talks about being a pro. Thats something thats learned though experience. He needs games, somewhere.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Loss in the SO tonight and Saturday they finally go in to the Bell Centre and pee all over it. We all collectively chant "ole ole ole" and "na na na na" in sweet victory.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i think torts wants kreider to force his way into the top-six. so far he really hasn't. and that's fine. let's give torts the benefit of the doubt here. i think kreider is very talented but seems to have some bad habits. or, at least, needs to be in a different state of mind to be effective. and torts is challenging him. nothing wrong with that.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah but there comes a time when hes got to do it himself instead of admiring and trying to copy the Hagelins and Paciorettys. This is when you start playing around with the development of a player too much. Let him play... whether its here or in the A. The kid knows how to play, is smart. It will come with time and hell create his own game.

While that is 100% true, from all of the games I have seen him play (quite a few), that is what he projects as. He needs to figure out how to effective in THAT role. He needs to use his size, strength and skating to create chances like he did in NCAA's. It will come.

The other thing to note is that the Whale don't play for another couple of days which is why, I am guessing, both he and Mashinter are up to practice with the team.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Loss in the SO tonight and Saturday they finally go in to the Bell Centre and pee all over it. We all collectively chant "ole ole ole" and "na na na na" in sweet victory.

Please be up like 4-0 with 5 minutes left and get a "na na na na, na na na na, eh eh eh, goooooooodbye!" Chant going
That would make my week

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
If only we could have Kreider coming off a successful NCAA championship run once a month

This shortened season doesn't look to be too good for Rangers prospect development

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
While that is 100% true, from all of the games I have seen him play (quite a few), that is what he projects as. He needs to figure out how to effective in THAT role. He needs to use his size, strength and skating to create chances like he did in NCAA's. It will come.

The other thing to note is that the Whale don't play for another couple of days which is why, I am guessing, both he and Mashinter are up to practice with the team.

Good point about the schedule.

I dont disagree with you at all B - I'm just deducing from everything ive gathered from the team and Torts - they've given him all the direction he needs - its time for him to work it out for himself. It will come, but at this point you have to be careful with the mental aspect of his game.

I really saw some good things from him in Boston positionally. Its obvious hes really trying to make that part of his game instinctual before he start turning on the jets. I think the only way that comes is if hes in games.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Good point about the schedule.

I dont disagree with you at all B - I'm just deducing from everything ive gathered from the team and Torts - they've given him all the direction he needs - its time for him to work it out for himself. It will come, but at this point you have to be careful with the mental aspect of his game.

I really saw some good things from him in Boston positionally. Its obvious hes really trying to make that part of his game instinctual before he start turning on the jets. I think the only way that comes is if hes in games.

I 110% agree. The system isn't quite 2nd nature to him yet. He is thinking too much.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
As far as tonight goes...

The Rangers just need to concentrate on themselves and putting in a solid 60 minute effort. There are still some breakdowns leading to odd-man situations they need to clean up... and working on getting in the shooting lanes a little more (blocks).

Just keep building on consistency with defense and the forecheck - even if they find themselves down a goal or two - stick to the gameplan tonight and in the third period Montreal will open up, theyve played a lot of hockey.

Bardof425*

But Boyle has been making noise since his benching and with Powe out, replacing him doesn't make much sense.

One good game followed by a Meh game with one big hit. I was there Sunday night and he was awful with the puck. Had the one thunderous hit behind the net. but that was pretty much the end of the positives. Not sure what his FO% was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad