Prospect Info: 14th Overall - Julius Honka

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I like that he'll be with Lamb again next year. He's probably still got a good relationship with Jackson, and he was a good coach for Dallas.
Already a glowing quote from Lamb out there:
“He’s an elite player going to a great organization” said Broncos coach and GM Mark Lamb. “I just spoke to his family and they are overjoyed that he was selected that high” added Lamb.​
http://www.scbroncos.com/article/julius-honka-drafted-14th-overall-by-dallas-stars

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Whoa ..... weird news:

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

Jim Nill just said they will talk to Julius Honka about moving from WHL to play in Finnish Elite League next season.

MetalGodAOD*

That's very interesting. Guess they want him playing against men and maybe less games to bulk up?

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Who could he be compared to? Tobias Enstrom?

I think Marek Zidlicky (who play my favorite team in Finland many years) is very good comparison. But Honka is much better skater and great PP playmaker like Zid was is in his best. You get very good player and yes, there is still room him to grow taller.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's very interesting. Guess they want him playing against men and maybe less games to bulk up?

It's better competition for sure, but IDK. Maybe they think he could work out more, but one of Honka's quotes early on was that he came to NA to prepare of an 82 game NHL schedule.

The WHL schedule does a great job of that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
His junior team in Finland was JYP, and they were 5th in Liiga last year. They play 60 regular season games FWIW.

He'd also for sure be on the WJC team.

MetalGodAOD*

He's an older draft pick and like you said, only has a year before he's AHL eligible. Maybe they think hes proved everything he can in juniors with such a great year, and want him to play against better comp before coming to the AHL.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Clearly they want him closer to Jere.

Nice ... but seriously Takko is over there, but I'd assume they'd try and get him on Assat if that was the case.

Maybe that's what they'll do though ... put him with Lindell in Assat.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He's an older draft pick and like you said, only has a year before he's AHL eligible. Maybe they think hes proved everything he can in juniors with such a great year, and want him to play against better comp before coming to the AHL.

Oh I assume that has to be it.

I'm now just wondering .. assuming he's willing which I figure he would be ... sort of no brainer to go home for a year and get paid to be a pro ... does he go back to JYP or Assat?

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Good if he's coming to Finland to compete against men in the Liiga..

Too bad my team Ässät doesn't have any roster spots ready or maybe Takko could pull some strings. Ässät just signed Garrett Stafford to finish our top6 a week or so ago. We'd have one of the best Finnish D-man ever "Rocky" Rautakallio coming back as our head coach, who'd be perfect for Honka.. If he's not coming to Ässät, he'll most likely will go to JYP which doesn't have a very good or experienced coaching staff..

I personally don't know much about him but the stats TSN kept showing, his name kept constantly showing after Ekblad so I'm certainly not mad about it..

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
It's better competition for sure, but IDK. Maybe they think he could work out more, but one of Honka's quotes early on was that he came to NA to prepare of an 82 game NHL schedule.

The WHL schedule does a great job of that.

That seems such a weird move to me. He can make the jump to the AHL the season after next season right. Just seems like a step back to have him go back to Finland. Yes he will be playing against men, but he will be playing less games and back on the bigger ice service.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Assat has 9 D next year right now. 4 are over 30, and the rest are between 19 and 21. Only 2 are eligible for U-20.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That seems such a weird move to me. He can make the jump to the AHL the season after next season right. Just seems like a step back to have him go back to Finland. Yes he will be playing against men, but he will be playing less games and back on the bigger ice service.

He'd only be playing 12 less games, and Finnish ice is actually not uniform from rink to rink. Most are fairly close to the NHL size rinks, and it's a more physical league than the SHL.

It's honestly sort of a step up. It's just not something you see every day. Vancouver did it with one of their prospects ... the Dane IIRC back to Sweden.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Actually ... he's going to play more games in Finland probably.

The pre-season is much longer, he'll be able to join several other U-20 tournaments that are only attended by prospects in Europe, and the league shuts down during Christmas when he'll be playing U-20. If he was in the WHL ... he' miss several games while with the National team preparing for U-20.

He'll still play quite a few games.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
JYP's lineup looks easier to crack.

They have three 30 year old defenders. The remaining five are 17 to 22 years old. Only the 17 year old is eligible for U-20 time.

It's also his hometown.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Ässät D for next season:

Uusitalo - Sammalkangas
Marttinen - Lindell
Parkkonen - Stafford - Parikka

From those Parikka might be loaned on to a lower league team but even then there's maybe 10-13mins/game time for Honka.. JYP has a bigger role for give to him but still would really like him to come to Ässät and be a part of our system..

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Looking over the profiles of some of the similarly ranked players picked just before and after JH, it seems to me this is a prototypical Nil and Detroit like pick - go for speed, skill and hockey sense. Can't have to much of, or coach, pure hockey talent.

Even the ratings the TV broadcast showed, had some higher picked players with more or all 4/5 ratings for skating, sense, hands, shot, toughness. JH had 3 5/5 rankings, one 4 and I think one 3 for shot. However, some others, including him in the interview, seemed to think his shot was okay, too.

So, based on his track record, how Detroit played and how Stars seem to be moving, this seems like a decent pick.

I saw where Ho Sang went at the end of round one. But, still some more talented guys projected for round 1 that are still available. Got get em Nil!

Some stats on the broadcast were unbelievable, really. Thought I heard them say that AZ had no drafted players in the NHL since like 2008? No wonder they aren't great, even with Tip as coach. Nucks didn't have many players from recent drafts, either, showing why they are on the downslide.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Looking over the profiles of some of the similarly ranked players picked just before and after JH, it seems to me this is a prototypical Nil and Detroit like pick - go for speed, skill and hockey sense. Can't have to much of, or coach, pure hockey talent.

Even the ratings the TV broadcast showed, had some higher picked players with more or all 4/5 ratings for skating, sense, hands, shot, toughness. JH had 3 5/5 rankings, one 4 and I think one 3 for shot. However, some others, including him in the interview, seemed to think his shot was okay, too.

So, based on his track record, how Detroit played and how Stars seem to be moving, this seems like a decent pick.

I saw where Ho Sang went at the end of round one. But, still some more talented guys projected for round 1 that are still available. Got get em Nil!

Some stats on the broadcast were unbelievable, really. Thought I heard them say that AZ had no drafted players in the NHL since like 2008? No wonder they aren't great, even with Tip as coach. Nucks didn't have many players from recent drafts, either, showing why they are on the downslide.
The Full quote with Phoenix(seriously f Arizona), has had nobody play more than 40games since the 08 draft

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Our track record from 2008 isn't exactly spectacular. Reilly Smith isn't here. Larsen and Vincour had games but weren't good. Nichushkin and Chiasson have had one season.

We've got a lot of guys with ELCs and on track to make the NHL full time but our cup hasn't runneth over either.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Smith still counts as having played 40 games. Since 2008 we have had 6 players make the NHL. One per year is a lot better than none per year. Go back to 2007 and you add superstar J Benn and C Scevior and the average goes way up.

We were an average drafting team by analysis of the Hockey News and others. Maybe a bit below. Thanks to JN's last year and now Nil, we are above average by all accounts, but it will take a few more years to know for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad