Blue Jays GDT: ('14 v9) Next Game: vs StL|Jun 7|1pm ET/10am PT| Miller vs Buehrle

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I certainly agree that I wouldn't do Stroman/Sanchez + Hutchison for Samardzija, but I think being practical about it we have:

Dickey - pitching like a #3, at best a #2 from what we've seen this year/last year
Buerhle - pitching like a #1, I'd expect him to regress to a #2/3 as he has been over his career
Hutchison - Happy with him pitching like a #3. Has been both fantastic and less than stellar.
Happ - solid #5.
Stroman - I hope he continues to pitch like he does, but still the most I'd expect out of him is to hold the #4 spot. Keep in mind he has only started 2 games, and will falter at some point this year.
Morrow - lets see what he can do when he comes back.

Who of those 5 can you expect to pitch in a playoff series? You ideally want 3 solid starters going into the playoffs. Buerhle for sure, maybe Dickey, maybe Hutchison, unlikely Stroman, definitely not Happ. Consider the Tigers have Verlander, Sanchez and Scherzer...

I wonder what we would have to give up to get Cliff Lee... though his contract might be too much for the Jays to eat with Romero in the minors. I wouldn't target Samardzija, too expensive... I doubt the Rays trade Price within the division... I wonder who else is out there...
Sheilds maybe?
Still would be expensive but probably not as much as the others with his contract expiring.
I hope to see the jays trade Rasmus to a playoff contender that needs a CF and maybe a little power in the lineup. They could probably get an alright prospect for him and then flip that prospect + some of our own (Sanchez?) for Sheilds. Might be a high price to pay but how many chances like this are the Jays gonna have again.

A move like that would also really help the bull pen. It would move Happ back to the long man and maybe Morrow too when he return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad