Prospect Info: 135th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Kristoffer Gunnarsson (Frolunda)

cc

Feb 28, 2002
these are cederholm and gunnarson's writeups on eliteprospect

I think when cederholm is described as "not the fastest skater" translates into not a good skater

They describe gannarsson as a decent skater

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Tbh this is the 1st pick i dont like and 135 i dont mind and considering the previous picks i would say this is bennings first blunder to me but one i could live with

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Lets be honest, few if any of you have ever seen him play a game.

I think it would be hilarious if he turned out to be a solid D given the amount of whingeing in this thread.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It seems like we draft a defensive Dman out of Sweden every few years.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

I think it would be hilarious if he turned out to be a solid D given the amount of whingeing in this thread.

Seen enough drafts to know that's nearly impossible from an overage who has never really done anything.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta

ill gladly laugh at myself. i have zero issues doing that. This pick sucks.

hopefully the guy doesn't read hfboards. We are jackasses.

Last edited:
May 31, 2006
It looks like a bad pick, but this guy has been playing against men for two seasons now. Those who are criticizing his production need to realize that most defenders his age don't even play at that level at all, let alone put up points.

Let's hope he moves up Frolunda's depth chart next season. Look at his game logs in the 10 SHL games he played:

http://www.shl.se/lag/087a-087aTQv9u__frolunda-hc/qQ9-62316fDCK__kristoffer-gunnarsson/gamelog

Guy had almost no icetime. I wonder what kind of turnover Frolunda's blueline is having. I know Tommernes is playing in Switzerland next year and he was their best player, and Jacob Larsson should be with the Ducks full time.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Wasn't entirely happy with this pick at first because Tyszka was available (14th picks later)... but i've come around on this pick. He's a punishing dman and I think is eligible for Utica this year? Will he come over is the question?

We need more guys in the defensive pipeline since we picked Rathbone who won't be eligible for 2-3.5 years from now at least.

If we have the Gudbransons, Pedans, Briseboises and Sbisas of the world, the bar isn't very high for Gunnarsson to beat. Seems like a solid shutdown guy potential ... too bad we gotta face McDavid-Draisatl / Kopitar-Vilardi / Monahan-Gaudreau / Strome-Duclair-Joseph for the next little while..

I love Swedish players anyways

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
It looks like a bad pick, but this guy has been playing against men for two seasons now. Those who are criticizing his production need to realize that most defenders his age don't even play at that level at all, let alone put up points.

Let's hope he moves up Frolunda's depth chart next season. Look at his game logs in the 10 SHL games he played:

http://www.shl.se/lag/087a-087aTQv9u__frolunda-hc/qQ9-62316fDCK__kristoffer-gunnarsson/gamelog

Guy had almost no icetime.
He had zero points in 38 SuperElit games his original draft year. I think that's worthy of some criticism.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Just like we all looked stupid after considering Stewart to be an automatic bust.

May 31, 2006
He had zero points in 38 SuperElit games his original draft year. I think that's worthy of some criticism.

Yeah, which is why he wasn't drafted then. As I said, it looks like a bad pick.

However to go from zero points in the junior league, to playing in the world juniors and having a full season against men two years later should indicate a relatively steep development curve.

We'll see if he gets regular role in Frolunda next season. They're a top club, so if he does that should be a good sign.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Just like we all looked stupid after considering Stewart to be an automatic bust.

Haha, good old Mac Stewart.

Gunnarsson, at least from the WJC games I watched, can make effective breakout passes (so he's no Sbisa/Gudbranson) plays the body, and is a good skater. While not exceptional, he has solid hockey iq, and makes good safe plays. Not really a Stewart/Cedeholm comparable for me outside of the defense first style. Likely projects as a 6/7 D in the NHL of all goes well, but we'll see.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If he can't generate any offended at any of the levels he's played at, it's EXCEEDINGLY unlikely that he has the skill level to play in the NHL, and he'll be a massive outlier if he does.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Like I said, we draft a zero offense defensive Dman out of Sweden every few years: Cederholm, Peter Andersson, Rahimi. Who is responsible for this?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id be a liar if i knew ANYTHING about any draft picks around this range but hopefully works out for us so does he go to AHL next year or echl maybe???

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Like I said, we draft a zero offense defensive Dman out of Sweden every few years: Cederholm, Peter Andersson, Rahimi. Who is responsible for this?

If we're going to give Gradin credit for the good Swedish picks I think we have to put the bad ones on him too. Unless we have more than one Swedish scout which would shock me.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
We definitely need some physical shut down defenders but spending a pick in the top half of the draft for an unrated player with no discernible offensive upside doesn't seem like good drafting strategy.I'd be ok with Gunnarsson in the 6th or 7th round but 135th seems too high.

I don't mind the player,though,it sounds like there's something there with his WJC selection and being able to compete with men at his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad