GDT: #13| New York Islanders @ Los Angeles Kings | November 6th 10:30 PM | F/SOW 2-1

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
:handclap:

I find it funny how they hide behind the whole 'this thread is tongue and cheek' as if that justifies all the ill will and over the line comments from their posters. It's the same as the sham that Tim Murray is actually trying to improve the team rather than sticking to his predetermined plan to tank the season in order to get McDavid or Eichel - both of whom are not even at the Tavares level of hype and accomplishment at the same age.

I'm glad the NHL instituted the revised odds this year (there was a thread on the main board complaining how the NHL is against Buffalo for changing the odds - hilarious) and that in 2016 - the top 3 picks are determined via lottery balls. Funny how Buffalo gets to host the 2016 edition with the new rules... coincidence?

I am just going to enjoy our season since that's what matters. Let them have their fun since they have almost nothing to be happy about except their shiny draft picks which is basically their only hope. Everyone knows they are doing a tear down rebuild so which prime UFA's would even consider signing with them? All the pain and disappointments that we suffered in our long rebuild is coming to them and their arrogance of how they are executing their rebuild better than us, Edmonton, etc. is just going to add to their pain. Being the pariah of the NHL and a running joke, denial is their chosen method of dealing with the pain.

If all of their posters actually had an ounce of humility then I would be more sympathetic. I hope McDavid winds up in Edmonton, they deserve him as our sister organization.

It's also funny that people think an 18 year old kid is going to magically change a franchise, especially when they are THIS bad. To be as bad as Buffalo is right now takes ineptitude at every single level of the organization. And it's funny that they are watching our franchise this closely but willingly ignoring that fact we are pretty much proof of that.

This is Tavares' SIXTH year. And it's taken all of these top 10 picks to come in an support him for us to even get out of the basement because he can't do it by himself. Some of those posts are so funny, because they are saying that if we didn't get Leddy and Boychuk we would be so bad. And I'm not arguing that fact because they've really helped, but it is funny that the same thing isn't obvious to them. We are still somewhere around a bubble team WITH all of the additions we had this off-season, but McDavid is going to make them good by himself. :rolleyes:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I hope McDavid winds up in Edmonton,

I hope if Arizona misses the playoffs they end up with McDavid. I think that franchise could use a top level forward. That would also be a lethal combination because they already have a young defense that by time McDavid is 21-22 will start hitting their peaks

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006

I find it funny how they hide behind the whole 'this thread is tongue and cheek' as if that justifies all the ill will and over the line comments from their posters. It's the same as the sham that Tim Murray is actually trying to improve the team rather than sticking to his predetermined plan to tank the season in order to get McDavid or Eichel - both of whom are not even at the Tavares level of hype and accomplishment at the same age.

I'm glad the NHL instituted the revised odds this year (there was a thread on the main board complaining how the NHL is against Buffalo for changing the odds - hilarious) and that in 2016 - the top 3 picks are determined via lottery balls. Funny how Buffalo gets to host the 2016 edition with the new rules... coincidence?

I am just going to enjoy our season since that's what matters. Let them have their fun since they have almost nothing to be happy about except their shiny draft picks which is basically their only hope. Everyone knows they are doing a tear down rebuild so which prime UFA's would even consider signing with them? All the pain and disappointments that we suffered in our long rebuild is coming to them and their arrogance of how they are executing their rebuild better than us, Edmonton, etc. is just going to add to their pain. Being the pariah of the NHL and a running joke, denial is their chosen method of dealing with the pain.

If all of their posters actually had an ounce of humility then I would be more sympathetic. I hope McDavid winds up in Edmonton, they deserve him as our sister organization.

On the main board there is a thread about how Buffalo would react if they lost out on McDavid and ended up with Eichel. There was one poster who said Eichel was better than JT and MacKinnon. ROFL

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
On the main board there is a thread about how Buffalo would react if they lost out on McDavid and ended up with Eichel. There was one poster who said Eichel was better than JT and MacKinnon. ROFL

IF you tell a Buffalo fan they are 100% guaranteed to pick 2nd in this years draft I think most would take that over the uncertainty of picking 1st or 5th

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
IF you tell a Buffalo fan they are 100% guaranteed to pick 2nd in this years draft I think most would take that over the uncertainty of picking 1st or 5th

My point was that one of them was delusional to put Eichel up there in JT and Stamkos level.

I am sure they would be fine with Eichel, thus I want them to finish with the 3rd pick overall. :laugh:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I'm not the biggest fan of the new lottery, I think they needed to up the odds for the bottom 5-8 but I don't like giving teams that just miss the playoffs a chance.

Clock

May 13, 2006
The seriousness came into play when fans from that board came in here gloating about crap last year, specifically laughing and posting gifs of Tavares going down in Sochi.

I stay out of that thread because it's a waste of my time, but that juvenile crap pulled by those posters is not really forgotten nor can be hidden behind 'tongue-in-cheek'.

I'm only speaking to that thread, not the idiots that every fanbase has that pulls garbage like that.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

Personally, I don't care what they do in that thread on their own board. I'm glad the mods on the main board are no longer letting Sabres fans interrupt essentially every single thread on the Islanders (as happened over the summer) with the stuff about Vanek and the pick.

Heck, if you look just a little while you'll see a thread where Sabres fans claimed that the Vanek trade shows how easy it will be for them to obtain Brock Nelson.

In any case, we should also understand why their excited about our pick, and even though most of their posts are attacking the Island, I'd say it is all in good fun part of the rivalry. Some of the guys on that board just have a wicked sense of humor.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Personally, I don't care what they do in that thread on their own board. I'm glad the mods on the main board are no longer letting Sabres fans interrupt essentially every single thread on the Islanders (as happened over the summer) with the stuff about Vanek and the pick.

Heck, if you look just a little while you'll see a thread where Sabres fans claimed that the Vanek trade shows how easy it will be for them to obtain Brock Nelson.

In any case, we should also understand why their excited about our pick, and even though most of their posts are attacking the Island, I'd say it is all in good fun part of the rivalry. Some of the guys on that board just have a wicked sense of humor.

Really, I haven't found anything funny in that thread.

Now if you want funny then go visit the Kings HFBoard. Those guys are awesome.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Really, I haven't found anything funny in that thread.

Now if you want funny then go visit the Kings HFBoard. Those guys are awesome.

I was at the King's game last night! I sat center ice, about 15 rows up, absolutely surrounded by King's fans - most of whom were rabid season tickets holders. The response that I got when I jumped up and down screaming when the Isles scored/won/made a good play? Smiles and casual acknowledgements. Nobody was anything but polite and warm to me - and I've seen that happen with other fan bases at virtually every Kings game I've been too.

Great group of fans, no doubt.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I was at the King's game last night! I sat center ice, about 15 rows up, absolutely surrounded by King's fans - most of whom were rabid season tickets holders. The response that I got when I jumped up and down screaming when the Isles scored/won/made a good play? Smiles and casual acknowledgements. Nobody was anything but polite and warm to me - and I've seen that happen with other fan bases at virtually every Kings game I've been too.

Same for me. Actually, I got pulled aside by one of the attendants saying that if anyone said anything to me that was insensitive that I should tell him and they will handle. I said, "ahh it's all in good fun" and he said "yes, but sometimes people go overboard and we are here to protect you."

But I didn't hear anything close to that. Most people were just asking about our team and discussing how tough it is for people to play all the California teams in a row.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006

The Kings are my West Coast team. Nothing but friendly HFBoard members. Only time I've seen the Kings fan base riled up was with ................ the Ranger fans.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
As soon as you cross the Mississippi people exhibit much less passion and intensity. The East Coast is wound really tight and that's why you won't see as much anti-road team behavior in arenas on the left coast.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Wait...I thought you were supposed to yell from half a section over (so you're insulated in case the other guy happens to actually step up) to "Sit the **** Down!" every time a fan of the opposing team decides to cheer?????

That's what I learned at the Coliseum growing up. :dunno:

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...860?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

LOS ANGELES - Kyle Okposo would like a word with those who tried writing off the "Same Old Islanders" after their losing streak hit three games on Saturday in San Jose.

"We went on a three-game skid and everybody wanted to hit the panic button," Okposo said. "Not in here, though. We're not the same team we've been."

The Islanders took another big step toward proving that point Thursday night, grabbing a 2-1 shootout win over the Kings at Staples Center. It gave them wins on back-to-back nights in Southern California, a rare feat for any team, much less one that entered dates with the NHL-leading Ducks and defending Stanley Cup champion Kings on a three-game slide.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau

wow, refreshing to hear that not everyone is low-class white trash. You do that at the garden rangers islanders you can expect a beer shower

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
So I finally got to see the game everyone raved about. I finished the first period, but what was so different right off the bat:

- It is a very physical game so far. Kings got away with several boardings but I saw chipyness both ways.
- Strome was more active than normal.
- Johnson looked pretty focused. This is a much better game than the last.
- The Isles had three guys back for much of the transition plays.
- Islanders are not seeing 3 forwards trapped on a tunrover deep in the offensive zone.
- Leddy looks really good despite the goal in front of him.
- So far, Clutterbuck has really shown some tenacity. If he finishes this way he gets a vote from me.
- Martin was also playing well. Funny, the first period they were used a normal number of times.

So Cappy goes conservative on his system and the team plays well because of it. Like RedBull said, "He finally listened to us." That is what I am seeing. I still see the defense activating at times but not like a crack head in Bogota.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
wow, refreshing to hear that not everyone is low-class white trash. You do that at the garden rangers islanders you can expect a beer shower

Its not the same as it used to be, I'll tell you that much. I took my 7 year old to the Garden earlier this year, in full Islander gear. Not a single problem. Granted we scored Club seats at the last second (for 1/3 of face price) so most around us were either NYI fans who did the same thing as us or suits who were talking deal points or looking at their CNBC app.

The only even remotely confrontational moment came when we were going up the escalator. The guy behind us looked at my son's jersey and was like "Nielsen? Nielsen? WTF? Why would you wear that jersey? Gave him a smirk and shrugged and then he says "Where's Nielsen from anyway? My son turns around right away and says "Denmark". The whole group was extremely impressed with his knowledge gave him his due and then was like "What is he the only Danish **** on the team?" And he responds with "Well, there was Peter Regin last year."

And after that, we were all buddies.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
I'm only speaking to that thread, not the idiots that every fanbase has that pulls garbage like that.

True, but it's far more than a few idiots. It has become an obsession thread for many to solely bash and spew ill will towards the islanders and their fans that goes beyond just rivalry conversation, and it appears to be acceptable to the so called moderators of that forum. This "tongue and cheek", or it's just a joke BS, is nothing but a guise.

In all honestly, I couldn't care less what Buffalo fans say or think, and I get the whole idea of how we finish determines the pick you guys get, but it can be done with some class.

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I have been to games at about half the arenas in the NHL. I find most fans everywhere to be respectful of the opponent's fans. The one glaring exception: Rangers fans at the Coliseum. They are some of the most repulsive people I've ever seen. Even at the Garden the fans are reasonably decent with opposing fans. Too many of those Rangers fans who go to Nassau are disgusting.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Keep in mind two things: This is a relatively young team and there are 7 (5 skaters) new players brought into the fold. There will be some growing pains and lessons learned, which seems to be happening already.

The team got off to a hot start, heard some praise from opposing coaches, and maybe let their guard down for a few games. This league is a grind and it takes all of your physical and mental strength each and every shift. This is how they played last night and what it will take to make the playoffs and have some success. The new depth we have is a great thing and the coaches have to use it. Earn your spot, earn your PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad