Confirmed with Link: 13-14 season schedule

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The NHL had divisional playoffs for years.
A lot of those banners hanging in the rafters are from winning divisional playoff series I believe.

Essentially what we have now is a division playoff -- except for one wildcard.

I think you are correct, trouble remembering now, seems so long ago. But pretty sure the banners were for winning the first two rounds and getting to the Conference Finals.

RedWingsNow*

A lot of those banners hanging in the rafters are from winning divisional playoff series I believe.

Well, that's wrong
http://www.detroithockey.net/team/arena/rafters.php

Regardless -- winning your divisional playoff is more impressive than winning your division standings in the regular season.

Just like winning the Stanley Cup is more impressive than winning the President's Trophy.

At the end of the day, you're the only one from your division left standing -- and you are truly divisional champs

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Yeah, the wildcard thing is odd. It takes the logic of the setup, and chucks it into a blender. At that point, just take the top8 from each conference and seed them accordingly.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, the wildcard thing is odd. It takes the logic of the setup, and chucks it into a blender. At that point, just take the top8 from each conference and seed them accordingly.

I kinda disagree. Maybe it's a bit of a compromise to the idea but I think there's some fairness if one division is significantly stronger than the other one. I think the divisions in the East look very even right now but in the West I can really see the 5th placed team in the Pacific beeing a lot more deserving than the 4th placed team in the Central. That'll change each season, of course.

Many of the years I still think we'll still see 4 teams from each division since the divisional play will be so crucial to the standings.

Detroit Sports*

Did you not look at the new forum layout, wings are in eastern conference's Atlantic Division....

Apparently Detroit is located near the atlantic sea :laugh:

No I didn't... I haven't been on here. What are the western divisions called?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Metropolitan division... I'm sure they sat at a desk and thought a long time on that one.

It sounds terrible. Someone said in the main board thread that it could it at least be called the "Metropolis Division," and I agree.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Did you not look at the new forum layout, wings are in eastern conference's Atlantic Division....

Apparently Detroit is located near the atlantic sea :laugh:

We don't have seas in America :)

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

This.

I could eventually get over the unbalanced conferences but divisional playoffs is stupid and if you're gonna do it then don't half do it.

How does the 2nd round work does it re-seed or does it stay within the division until the Conf. Finals.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
And the wild-card format was designed to help negate the numerical imbalance in the divisions/conferences and appease the NHLPA, but still ensuring that the divisional games are more important by having the top 3 in each division getting a guaranteed spot.

this is the bit i don't understand. how is the imbalance negated? in the east, half of the teams will make the playoffs and half will miss out.
in the west, 8/14 will make the playoffs, giving teams in the west a distinct advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad