Confirmed with Link: 13-14 season schedule

Oct 18, 2006
Far out, Olympics, now this.

I am excited. Love the look of the schedule. Exciting times ahead! :)

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada
The 4 division names were also announced. Pacific(West) , Central(West), Atlantic(East) and Metropolitan(East).
We're in the Atlantic.

RedWingsNow*

My only beef with the schedule, really, is the new playoff format with an "play-in"

Makes me ill.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Is it just me, or do we have a crap load of home games packed together in bunches? Not a lot of alternating every game or so which is nice.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Opens one day after my bday...don't think I need any actual presents.

Anyone can do the math and count how many division games we play against each division rival?

No Toronto game until Dec 21st sucks...just one game before the winter classic, no hate build-up.

Very few 1-2pm games... :/

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Opens one day after my bday...don't think I need any actual presents.

Anyone can do the math and count how many division games we play against each division rival?

No Toronto game until Dec 21st sucks...just one game before the winter classic, no hate build-up.

Very few 1-2pm games... :/

That is for the benefit of HBO, we can play what a maximum of five times. They want two of those to fall within the show and some late season hate.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Only seven games start later than 8pm EST. :clap:

This is the best news of the day!
19164309.cms

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So.... now it's just a question of when this forum moves from the Western to the Eastern.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Bruins 4 games
Leafs 4 games
Sabres 4 games
Senators 4 games
Canadiens 4 games
Lightning 5 games
Panthers 5 games

Of course Dertroit got more games against the Florida teams... I smell conspiracy!

crashman

Bruins 4 games
Leafs 4 games
Sabres 4 games
Senators 4 games
Canadiens 4 games
Lightning 5 games
Panthers 5 games

Of course Dertroit got more games against the Florida teams... I smell conspiracy!

Good. They're basically home games with all the Wings fans down in Florida.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Bruins 4 games
Leafs 4 games
Sabres 4 games
Senators 4 games
Canadiens 4 games
Lightning 5 games
Panthers 5 games

It's not all bad. For instance, I might go watch Detroit at Florida on December 28th and Montreal plays in Florida on the 29th. Same thing for early February.

RedWingsNow*

How does it work? I don't remember seeing the details.

Sorry, I was misinformed on the playoff play-in.

Still, i don't like it. You could end up with a Division Champ from a team that's not even in the division

Under this new system, the top three teams in each division will earn an automatic bid to the postseason. Each conference will be allotted two wild card playoff spots, which will be distributed to the two teams who had the highest point totals amongst non-playoff qualifying teams, regardless of division. The wild card teams will be matched against the teams with the highest points.

So say the east turns out like this:
Atlantic
Boston 109
Montreal 101
Detroit 96
Ottawa 90
Toronto 89
Tampa 86
Buffalo 80
Florida 72

Metropolitan
Pittsburgh 107
New York Rangers 102
Washington 98
Philadelphia 95
Columbus 93
New York Islanders 81
Carolina 78
New Jersey 66

So now your playoffs are 1 vs Wild Card and 2 vs 3 (intradivision)
Atlantic Playoff
Boston vs Columbus
Montreal vs Detroit
Metro
Pittsburgh vs Philly
NYR vs Wash

If they have divisional playoffs (which I support) then they should take the top 4.

Sure, in the case above, it would screw Columbus out of a playoff spot... But so what? Columbus should have played better in its own division to get in.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Still, i don't like it. You could end up with a Division Champ from a team that's not even in the division

Division champions are not determined in the playoffs. That's like handing out a banner for being Conference Semi-Final Champions. Division champions are determined in the regular season, just like every other league.

And the wild-card format was designed to help negate the numerical imbalance in the divisions/conferences and appease the NHLPA, but still ensuring that the divisional games are more important by having the top 3 in each division getting a guaranteed spot.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm calling the east like this:

Atlantic
Boston
Detroit
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Florida
Buffalo

Metro
Pittsburgh
New York Rangers
Washington
Philadelphia
Columbus
New York Islanders
New Jersey
Carolina

RedWingsNow*

Division champions are not determined in the playoffs. That's like handing out a banner for being Conference Semi-Final Champions. Division champions are determined in the regular season, just like every other league.

And the wild-card format was designed to help negate the numerical imbalance in the divisions/conferences and appease the NHLPA, but still ensuring that the divisional games are more important by having the top 3 in each division getting a guaranteed spot.

The NHL had divisional playoffs for years.
A lot of those banners hanging in the rafters are from winning divisional playoff series I believe.

Essentially what we have now is a division playoff -- except for one wildcard.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Were supposed to do the Lidstrom retirement in February last year. I think it has a lot to do with when he will be in town. So the date might seem strange, but he might not be around for the opening couple months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad