13-14 Prospects Thread Version XXI: Finn 2nd. in PPG OHL Defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Are you guys serious with the whole Bustier thing or is it a running gag in the prospect threads or something?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
that is true. though I think teams in the first round should have chosen Finn

Calgary is a great example.

if the flames should have picked anyone, it should have been maata. but they are still pretty high in jankowksi. he's growing a lot in the NCAA, learning how to be the guy that stirs the pot for a line, and how to play defensively. its a lomg term pick.

and Calgary still got one of the better defenders in the 2nd with seiloff.

Ace88*

Johnson not coming over for at least another season is probably a good thing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
if the flames should have picked anyone, it should have been maata. but they are still pretty high in jankowksi. he's growing a lot in the NCAA, learning how to be the guy that stirs the pot for a line, and how to play defensively. its a lomg term pick.

and Calgary still got one of the better defenders in the 2nd with seiloff.

I think Feaster did a good job.

I'd like to see the Leafs add him and his NCAA guy to the group.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
If you are from calgary and a partial follower you would make the first person I know who liked the jankowski pick. Even the people on sportsnet 960 dislike it.

Last years was a lot better though.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I'm starting to think that the "homeless man's bergeron" development path is expecting too much out of freddy g now, I mean even jmac cracked 30 goals in junior......... the thing is, I bet you if mantha was still available, they probably still would of picked bustier, we dont need any more of these picks ffs, get some more boom/bust prospects please

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
I'm starting to think that the "homeless man's bergeron" development path is expecting too much out of freddy g now, I mean even jmac cracked 30 goals in junior......... the thing is, I bet you if mantha was still available, they probably still would of picked bustier, we dont need any more of these picks ffs, get some more boom/bust prospects please

Freddy Bustier is a boom/ bust pick though. We get an elite 3C (highly unlikely) at best and a pedestrian AHL scrub (more likely) at worst. I usually have a decent eye for developing players mostly due to watching a ton of games on HS.

Players like Leivo, Brown, Finn, Percy, Ruperts, Rielly, Kadri (in AHL), Kegger, etc. They all stand out for something. May that be hits, scoring, competitiveness or just having a presence. 2 of the most underwhelming players I have watch in recent memory have been Tyler Biggs (although I'm slowly starting to appreciate his game on the marlies) and Freddy G.

Fred doesn't do anything well in my eyes other then having sound positioning. His awareness and anticipation on the ice is exceptional BUT only on the defensive side. On offense he is either not confident in his abilities or his brain totally shuts off. He's not a slick passer or a great shooter either. I'm a fan of boom/ bust picks but that didn't go too well with Ty Biggs 2 seasons ago and the so called safer pick in Freddy isn't paying off much either. I guess drafting is really hit or miss, you never know what you'll have.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
No points for Connor Brown tonight in North Bay, as the Battalion win 2-0 over Erie.

Brown looked dangerous on several occasions, but the Battalion played a tough, defensive brand of hockey tonight. Erie's lines were in the blender for most of the night, with McDavid up on his line at times.

It was hard to get a read on his defensive game. The Otters wingers often stretch and fly the zone to generate speed and attack the lanes, so it was hard to get a handle on his positional play due their offensive brand of hockey.

Overall, he seems like a fairly decent skater (not good nor bad), and thrives in open space in the offensive zone. Cycled the puck decently vs. a stellar defensive team, however this is still not his forte, although can create space for himself fairly well when needed.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
The way I see it Freddie Gauthier still has time as he is quite young still. I believe he can still put it all together. People have to remember that by drafting is how you get those big centers.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Freddy Bustier is a boom/ bust pick though. We get an elite 3C (highly unlikely) at best and a pedestrian AHL scrub (more likely) at worst. I usually have a decent eye for developing players mostly due to watching a ton of games on HS.

Players like Leivo, Brown, Finn, Percy, Ruperts, Rielly, Kadri (in AHL), Kegger, etc. They all stand out for something. May that be hits, scoring, competitiveness or just having a presence. 2 of the most underwhelming players I have watch in recent memory have been Tyler Biggs (although I'm slowly starting to appreciate his game on the marlies) and Freddy G.

Fred doesn't do anything well in my eyes other then having sound positioning. His awareness and anticipation on the ice is exceptional BUT only on the defensive side. On offense he is either not confident in his abilities or his brain totally shuts off. He's not a slick passer or a great shooter either. I'm a fan of boom/ bust picks but that didn't go too well with Ty Biggs 2 seasons ago and the so called safer pick in Freddy isn't paying off much either. I guess drafting is really hit or miss, you never know what you'll have.

I wanted rattie so bad in that draft... idk I was really talking about either top 6 or ahl bust type of guys like leivo or something. Leivo isnt a grinder or heavy back checker or anything, basically he can only be like a 2nd line winger maybe 3rd line or nothing in my eyes.
They say the great shooters in the game never have to look at the net to know where it is, I think if you blind folded bustier he would just fall over, hes such a mess offensively and I hate these defensive picks. You can teach players defence (player 43 for example) but you cant teach offensive instincts and intuition. In a perfect world he would eventually replace bolland, but bolland has some offensive upside and was certainly tearing it up a lot more then bustier in junior and there really is no hope for the guy. I've never heard of a player increasing production when they get into the nhl, it never works that way. Player 43 gets crap all the time around here when he doesn't produce every other game or whatever, just imagine freddy g..... its going to be a nightmare at 3c and hes honestly just going to be a 4c in all likelihood, such a bad choice with that high of a pick imo

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Everyone needs to calm down about Gauthier...

I am apathetic about him now, my expectations are fairly low for him given his skill sets. if he can be a better Mcclement, this is the best we can hope for.

This Bergeron lite type player is a pipe dream folks.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I'm not sure why some people get so upset when people criticizes Gauthier. This is a prospect discussion thread and so far he hasn't done anything to warrant praise.

Number13

May 21, 2007
I'm not sure why some people get so upset when people criticizes Gauthier. This is a prospect discussion thread and so far he hasn't done anything to warrant praise.

But he hasn't played enough to label him a bust either.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

I find it odd that this many people are so upset about it. It's the 21st pick in a rather mediocre draft, IMO. I was never to pumped about it, but I don't mind going after role players and I don't feel the need to take the biggest gamble payoff. But I thought we had a safe bet in Biggs...... We'll see.

But I see the choices after him as sort of ho hum. I don't expect a lot out of the later half of the draft, outside of Mantha. But it'll be a few years before any of it really shows.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm not the biggest fan of Gauthier, heck, I'm not even a fan of him. But some people in this board are going way overboard.

I personally wanted McCarron or Shinkaruk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad