Pool: 12th Annual Statsy's WJC Pool

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
Just nabbed 6 pts in the bronze match which should…should keep me out of the basement. Having a goalie would’ve actually put me in the melee with the whole lot of yaz. Nice work everyone…lots of parity and competition right to the very end. Go Sweden!

Reactions: Statsy

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
STANDINGS (After BMG)

Rank​
Team Name​
G​
A​
W​
SO​
Points​
1st​
GrandLarseny
20​
29​
6​
2​
57​
T 2nd​
Statsy
20​
25​
6​
0​
51​
T 2nd​
Khabby
15​
30​
6​
0​
51​
4th​
FightingSioux
17​
23​
6​
2​
48​
5th​
WeThreeKings
13​
28​
6​
0​
47​
6th​
Tomsburninghat
16​
24​
0​
0​
40​
7th​
Canada4Gold
16​
21​
2​
0​
39​
8th​
Christien​
7​
13​
8​
4​
32​

One down, one to go! And what a Bronze Medal game that was! Jiri Kulich stepped up big, pretty much putting a stranglehold on the Gold for GrandLarseny. But wait! Statsy still has five key players left (mostly American) while GL has 3 Swedes still around. Then there's Khabby, who just got a massive 5 point effort from Becher to storm up the standings into a tie for second with Statsy at 51. This is crazy! Khabby still has 4 guys remaining as well. Fighting Sioux got nothing from the last game as he was unable to cash those three Czechs, but he remains within striking distance with 4 Americans still alive. We ThreeKings is just one point back with technically 5 players remaining, but one's a backup goalie and two are not point producers. Tom finally got some production from his vaunted Finns that had struggled, and the 6 points do indeed take him out of the basement, and a point ahead of Canada4Gold for 6th. Chrsitien got nothing that game and continues to flounder, but is just really happy to be able to hang around with all of us on this forum! I can't believe how wild this pool has gotten. Bring on the Gold!

Reactions: Khabby

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
STANDINGS (Final)

Rank​
Team Name​
G​
A​
W​
SO​
Points​
Gold
Statsy
23​
28​
8​
0​
59​
Silver
GrandLarseny
20​
30​
6​
2​
58​
Bronze
Khabby
17​
31​
6​
0​
54​
4th​
FightingSioux
18​
26​
6​
2​
52​
5th​
WeThreeKings
13​
29​
6​
0​
48​
6th​
Canada4Gold
17​
22​
2​
0​
41​
7th​
Tomsburninghat
16​
24​
0​
0​
40​
8th​
Christien​
8​
13​
8​
4​
33​

I honestly don't know what to say. Trailing this pool at one point by 16, Statsy's players went on a tear, including an unreal 10 points in just the last two games when it really mattered, to take the Gold! He eclipses GrandLarseny by a single point, who will no doubt consider this to be grand larceny. Khabby also had a tremendous final day, picking up an impressive 8 points to pick up a well deserved Bronze. Fighting Sioux seemed like a strong podium candidate for most of the week, but just fell short. A tough last day for WeThreeKings leaves him in 5th. An interesting battle at the bottom saw Canada4Gold just pull past Tomsburninghat for 6th. Christien comes in last, sadly.

In the dozen years we've done this pool, that has to be one of our very best! What a tremendous finish. I look forward to seeing you all again next year for more awesomeness!

GrandLarseny

Jersey Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for hosting us again and great comeback, Statsy!

It feels only fitting that I feel the bitterness of Silver alongside the Swedes, y'all should've seen how crestfallen I was seeing Leonard and McGroarty score those last two goals.

See y'all next year, one day I'm gonna win this pool I swear.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
STANDINGS (Final)

Rank​
Team Name​
G​
A​
W​
SO​
Points​
Gold
Statsy
23​
28​
8​
0​
59​
Silver
GrandLarseny
20​
30​
6​
2​
58​
Bronze
Khabby
17​
31​
6​
0​
54​
4th​
FightingSioux
18​
26​
6​
2​
52​
5th​
WeThreeKings
13​
29​
6​
0​
48​
6th​
Canada4Gold
17​
22​
2​
0​
41​
7th​
Tomsburninghat
16​
24​
0​
0​
40​

8th​
Christien​
8​
13​
8​
4​
33​

I honestly don't know what to say. Trailing this pool at one point by 16, Statsy's players went on a tear, including an unreal 10 points in just the last two games when it really mattered, to take the Gold! He eclipses GrandLarseny by a single point, who will no doubt consider this to be grand larceny. Khabby also had a tremendous final day, picking up an impressive 8 points to pick up a well deserved Bronze. Fighting Sioux seemed like a strong podium candidate for most of the week, but just fell short. A tough last day for WeThreeKings leaves him in 5th. An interesting battle at the bottom saw Canada4Gold just pull past Tomsburninghat for 6th. Christien comes in last, sadly.

In the dozen years we've done this pool, that has to be one of our very best! What a tremendous finish. I look forward to seeing you all again next year for more awesomeness!
The fix is in!!!

• Haha

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
After the first few days I said it would be a fight for Bronze, and it looks like I won it! Crazy to think how today went that I even had a shot at higher after my pool start.

Cant wait for the next one!

Thanks Statsy again for hosting this! 12 years and running!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Finland cost me.. if they wouldn't have gone shell after they went up 2, they likely get Augustine pulled and Fowler takes over.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Finland cost me.. if they wouldn't have gone shell after they went up 2, they likely get Augustine pulled and Fowler takes over.
No, Owen Beck cost you. You were actually lucky to get as many Fowler points as you did. Augustine was scheduled for a start during the preliminary round and then he came down with flu, not to mention the team happened to draw the only QF opponent that would allow them to deploy their backup.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No, Owen Beck cost you. You were actually lucky to get as many Fowler points as you did. Augustine was scheduled for a start during the preliminary round and then he came down with flu, not to mention the team happened to draw the only QF opponent that would allow them to deploy their backup.

I meant late in the game, the Owen Beck pick was unproductive but that's also some genius coaching by Canada.

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
Late to the after party....CONGRATS @Statsy for your big win! That easily was one of the most interesting finishes and most contested pools. It's always fun to participate and thankful for Statsy for hosting and the fact the same gang comes back every year. Takeaway lesson: is 'timing' when drafting. I needed a goalie sooner and didn't look at everyone else's needs. Having another 6+ points wouldn't have won me the pool but it would've changed the order of everyone else's picks too...it's amazing how if I took a goalie 2 picks prior it would've made others take other positions sooner and then maybe I'd nab one of the Americans...who knows. Fun pool nonetheless, looking forward to next year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad