1290 funny (review) New Sports Radio coming?

David Mandel

Mar 11, 2021
2 months in and Funny 1290 is not doing great in ratings. Ive tried to listen to it when in Winnipeg and 1) Hard to listen to stand-up on radio 2) Programming lineup is terrible. Maybe if they had audio of a late show (though these shows arent as good as when Letterman/Leno hosted) or a talk comedy show..... Cant see this lasting unless they literally do not care about ratings.

----

There has always been rumors and always will be rumors about sports talk returning. In Vancouver there has been talk about a new sports talk radio station that was leaked last month from a former TSN Vancouver host.

I have heard the same from radio executives around Winnipeg that a current station could be going all Sports and that leads to speculation of which station. The leading candidate would likely be 97.5 as it makes sense for a sister station of CJOB to be sports.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
2 months in and Funny 1290 is not doing great in ratings. Ive tried to listen to it when in Winnipeg and 1) Hard to listen to stand-up on radio 2) Programming lineup is terrible. Maybe if they had audio of a late show (though these shows arent as good as when Letterman/Leno hosted) or a talk comedy show..... Cant see this lasting unless they literally do not care about ratings.

----

There has always been rumors and always will be rumors about sports talk returning. In Vancouver there has been talk about a new sports talk radio station that was leaked last month from a former TSN Vancouver host.

I have heard the same from radio executives around Winnipeg that a current station could be going all Sports and that leads to speculation of which station. The leading candidate would likely be 97.5 as it makes sense for a sister station of CJOB to be sports.
I’m not sure a FM station is the way to go. Not nearly enough range to get to rural areas or into lake county. 1290 sucked for range a FM station would be far worse.

Reactions: Moe Mantha

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Sounds hopeful. I just hope if CJOB/CORUS does commission a sports radio station, they do it justice. A 9 hour all day extension of CJOB's Jets post/pregame show would suck. They should hire some of the 1290 guys and look at radio talent that are actually living in this century not the last one

Reactions: 10Ducky10

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It really sucks because on part of my drive through the Northern Rockies, you can only get 1060 AM - fine to listen to sports chat for a couple hours... painful to listen to stand up.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Sounds hopeful. I just hope if CJOB/CORUS does commission a sports radio station, they do it justice. A 9 hour all day extension of CJOB's Jets post/pregame show would suck. They should hire some of the 1290 guys and look at radio talent that are actually living in this century not the last one

NO! only Hustler and RR were any good

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I had always hoped 1290 would go to FM because the sound on AM was so awful. From my perspective would be great news if the new sports channel is FM.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
If so please don’t let Kelly Moore anywhere near it. Cant stand listening to him, his voice, the way he asks questions, or his opinions.

I’d take Kevin O over Kelly any day of the week.

David Mandel

Mar 11, 2021
I’m not sure a FM station is the way to go. Not nearly enough range to get to rural areas or into lake county. 1290 sucked for range a FM station would be far worse.

Whats funny about 1290 is that it does get a good range around lake country. Its not BAD or you really cant complain about it but FM dial is awful. Jets games on 97.5 is great but you will never get a great feed at the lake. Yup very true about that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The problem with sports radio is it's very resource intensive. What's likely to happen is a nationally syndicated station with perhaps a few hours of local content. So, welcome to TSN and Sportsnet - radio! 23 and 1/2 hours of Leafs talk, and 30 minutes for the other 6 teams.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Confused as to how the OP has any information about how it’s doing in the ratings. The ratings for the period it’s been operating isn’t out yet and won’t be out for months.

Also should point out 1290 did terrible in the ratings. This is essentially close to no cost and would make far more sense financially even with far lower ratings.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Whats funny about 1290 is that it does get a good range around lake country. Its not BAD or you really cant complain about it but FM dial is awful. Jets games on 97.5 is great but you will never get a great feed at the lake. Yup very true about that.
I get CJOB way better than I got 1290 up in the Interlake. You have no hope with FM.

Reactions: sipowicz

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The problem with sports radio is it's very resource intensive. What's likely to happen is a nationally syndicated station with perhaps a few hours of local content. So, welcome to TSN and Sportsnet - radio! 23 and 1/2 hours of Leafs talk, and 30 minutes for the other 6 teams.

So it would still be a comedy station, more or less

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Stand up radio doesn't need great ratings because it is really inexpensive to operate.

In Canada they are routinely some of the stations with the lowest ratings but they keep running.

From a viewership, fanbase building, perspective it is a big plus for the Jets games to be on CJOB that can be listened to across most of the province.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

My experience was that 1290 was about the same as a typical FM station. A few of the stronger FM stations come in stronger than 1290 does.

But generally agree. 1290 is a poor yardstick.

It was a poor yardstick for quality of content too. It was horrible when they had Lawless. Became much worse after he left.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Confused as to how the OP has any information about how it’s doing in the ratings. The ratings for the period it’s been operating isn’t out yet and won’t be out for months.

Also should point out 1290 did terrible in the ratings. This is essentially close to no cost and would make far more sense financially even with far lower ratings.

Yeah I pulled the information back when 1290 was shut down comparing the ratings in Calgary of their all sports channel (Sportsnet), and their all comedy channel. Sportsnet 960 had fairly poor ratings, but the comedy channel was abysmal - absolute dead last in the market.

I can guarantee that the comedy channel's ratings in Winnipeg will be just awful. But it's extremely cheap to produce. And apparently that's good enough for Bell.

Reactions: Jet

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

With FM you have access to lots of people who listen to the radio on their phone (many if not most Androids have an FM tuner), and lots of people have portable FM-only radios. That could offset the loss of far flung rural listeners.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Stand up radio doesn't need great ratings because it is really inexpensive to operate.

In Canada they are routinely some of the stations with the lowest ratings but they keep running.

From a viewership, fanbase building, perspective it is a big plus for the Jets games to be on CJOB that can be listened to across most of the province.

Yeah they fully do not care about ratings. I wonder what the costs actually are for the comedy station and if some of what they are playing is somehow public domain because I haven’t heard a bit on there that’s even from the last decade. It’s all 2000s and earlier.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
They should include the guys from illegal curve for a good chunk of the day if they get another sports radio station...Hustler too.
Is CKRC 630 available???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad