TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
You mean Edmonds? He's the worst. Too many years stuck alone in the booth calling unaffiliated minor league ball games has turned him into a gravelly voiced lone-wolf who can spin a 30 second anecdote into a 10 minute epic of boredom. They need a pro, preferably with a good sense of humour, who can mesh with the other guys. What's Joe Aiello doing?

Oops yes Edmonds lol. I realize he's far from the best, but we need someone who has a deeper connection to the jets than anyone currently on that show. Heck I might even accept Munz, despite what he has said regarding Pavs in the past.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Could be a win-win.

Matt goes on to a new role in his life, and TBS can bring in someone that breathes new life into the show. Perhaps takes it in a new direction.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Oops yes Edmonds lol. I realize he's far from the best, but we need someone who has a deeper connection to the jets than anyone currently on that show. Heck I might even accept Munz, despite what he has said regarding Pavs in the past.

Be nice to have a smooth pro to keep the ball rolling, a Bomber guy and a Jets guy. Aiello, Westwood, Hnidy might be good. Didn't Sportsnet just fire a dozen people from their hockey broadcast? Not Healy or Stock. Johnson? Hirsch? Leah Hextall?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
TSN 1290.....what can we say.....The morning show....Westwood is only listenable about 65% of the time. I give him the benefit of the doubt because he is an ex-jock and can speak reasonably well on the radio. When he hosts he's a disaster though. The other two guys, including the guy that used to host the show, are horrible. The phone in portion of the show is a disgrace. The same callers, some with a stupid schtick, and they are completely clueless. If I was Boston Pizza I'd want nothing to do with sponsoring that hour.....Roundtable....Rick Ralph is the only professional broadcaster on this station. He knows what he's doing and it shows. He must look at the rest of the stations lineup and shake his head. You can hear the frustration in his voice when he brings up topics that were discussed on the morning show. His pre and post games shows are top notch.....Warmup/H&L.....Hus is ok. I don't have the hate for him that some do. Both him and Lawless have got better over the years. They talk too much CFL. I realize TSN has Lawless as their "Insider" but c'mon, nobody needs to have three or four segments a show dedicated to the CFL. Instant channel changer for me.....The rest....Edmonds....How does an ex-semi-pro baseball announcer suddenly become an expert on all things Jets? The morning show and H&L have him on frequently and what he doesn't know could fill a warehouse. His insight is next to nothing. When he fills in as host on various programs he's an embarrassment. I don't listen to the radio call of the Jets so I don't have an opinion on that.....Munz....He's ok. More of a professional radio guy and can speak somewhat intelligently on various subjects.....The Illegal Curve guys....Ok at what they do but I believe they buy their airtime from 1290 and are not employees. Makes me wonder what an hour of airtime goes for.

What does this all mean?? How does a radio station with the rights to carry the local NHL games have two hours of reruns through the heart of the day? It's simple. Bell does not care about this radio market. Their on air talent budget is virtually nothing compared to other cities with radio rights. And the fact that they's rather run 2 repeat hours than pay another host reflects that. Their ratings during non-hockey months are abysmal and makes me wonder if they just shut down for July and August would anybody know or care.

Edmonds completely rubs me the wrong way. Usually turned the station off when he hosts anything or comes on as a guest. A while back I didn't change the station when they were discussing CFL and Edmonds mentioned that he is only a fan of football and doesn't know the intricacies of the game. I wish he would do the same for hockey. I do give him kudos for this but he should never be discussing the Jets aside from his PBP. He is not only out of touch with what is going on on the ice but also the business side of things. When Ladd was traded to Chicago he figured the Hawks would re sign him. Did he have no clue of the Hawks cap situation and Ladds contract demands?

Edmonds PBP often seems forced and at times seems scripted and does not flow easily.

1290 should let him call games and keep him off the airwaves the rest of the day. Now that I have Satellite tv at the lake I won't have to listen to Edmonds call games anymore.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
TSN 1290.....what can we say.....The morning show....Westwood is only listenable about 65% of the time. I give him the benefit of the doubt because he is an ex-jock and can speak reasonably well on the radio. When he hosts he's a disaster though. The other two guys, including the guy that used to host the show, are horrible. The phone in portion of the show is a disgrace. The same callers, some with a stupid schtick, and they are completely clueless. If I was Boston Pizza I'd want nothing to do with sponsoring that hour.....Roundtable....Rick Ralph is the only professional broadcaster on this station. He knows what he's doing and it shows. He must look at the rest of the stations lineup and shake his head. You can hear the frustration in his voice when he brings up topics that were discussed on the morning show. His pre and post games shows are top notch.....Warmup/H&L.....Hus is ok. I don't have the hate for him that some do. Both him and Lawless have got better over the years. They talk too much CFL. I realize TSN has Lawless as their "Insider" but c'mon, nobody needs to have three or four segments a show dedicated to the CFL. Instant channel changer for me.....The rest....Edmonds....How does an ex-semi-pro baseball announcer suddenly become an expert on all things Jets? The morning show and H&L have him on frequently and what he doesn't know could fill a warehouse. His insight is next to nothing. When he fills in as host on various programs he's an embarrassment. I don't listen to the radio call of the Jets so I don't have an opinion on that.....Munz....He's ok. More of a professional radio guy and can speak somewhat intelligently on various subjects.....The Illegal Curve guys....Ok at what they do but I believe they buy their airtime from 1290 and are not employees. Makes me wonder what an hour of airtime goes for.

What does this all mean?? How does a radio station with the rights to carry the local NHL games have two hours of reruns through the heart of the day? It's simple. Bell does not care about this radio market. Their on air talent budget is virtually nothing compared to other cities with radio rights. And the fact that they's rather run 2 repeat hours than pay another host reflects that. Their ratings during non-hockey months are abysmal and makes me wonder if they just shut down for July and August would anybody know or care.

:handclap:

Munz actually impressed me when he did the PxP on the TV side of TSN and after listening to Edmonds for a few years maybe Munz wasn't all that bad after all!

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
I used to bemoan the fact that Munz was gonna go from Moose pxp man to the Jets. But now that I've listened to a few games by Edmonds (it's almost always TV...not radio), I realize what we have there. Munz has grown on me a lot and I think his pxp is quite good.

On a side note, I hope we have Beyak for a while yet. He'll be tough to replace.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Joe Aiello is on Power 97 mornings with Shadoe Davis.

Jim Toth is looking for work. Also, Jay Richardson mentioned on Twitter he had something in works he couldn't talk about. And also recently did a podcast with Troy Westwood.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Joe Aiello is on Power 97 mornings with Shadoe Davis.

Jim Toth is looking for work. Also, Jay Richardson mentioned on Twitter he had something in works he couldn't talk about. And also recently did a podcast with Troy Westwood.

Sad to see Matt leave the Big Show as he was the best of that group. Would like to see Jay Richardson return or have Jim Toth take Matt's place.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
JRich was good, would like to hear him back.

Rick Ralph on the morning show would be the best,he could carry the morning slot by himself, he is the best interviewer TSN1290 has, and would do well with the better guest the morning slot gets. If he hosted the morning show, should be just him and Westwood, no Brandon.

Hustler would be my other choice, I like his opinions most time, does a good interview.

I like Westwood but it would be a mistake to have him host the morning show. Its not his wheelhouse, better as the second guy, interjecting when needed but not having to carry the show.

Wish Curt Keilbach was still doing the PxP. Would be awesome if they had him call the Heritage Classic Alumni game.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Dick Rivers.

We have a winner!

Used to LOVE his show when I was a kid / teenager. Did you ever try Dick's pizza?

Edit: In all seriousness, probably not for TSN1290. But I did actually enjoy his show when I was younger.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Richardson was a complete moron when he was on the radio before and big fat NO to him.

Liable was frankly annoying on the radio with a whiny voice and torrid ranting. Good riddance!

Who would be my pick? Toth would be ok.

Bauming would be a good addition as well.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
We have a winner!

Used to LOVE his show when I was a kid / teenager. Did you ever try Dick's pizza?

Edit: In all seriousness, probably not for TSN1290. But I did actually enjoy his show when I was younger.

what ever happened to his show and himself? got canned for some reason and was never heard from again

GGSmitty

Sep 25, 2012
Winnipeg
I have heard from a friend that Sean Asore (don't think I spelled his name correct) is to replace Matt on The Big Show. If it is true hopefully it works out.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
JRich was good, would like to hear him back.

Rick Ralph on the morning show would be the best,he could carry the morning slot by himself, he is the best interviewer TSN1290 has, and would do well with the better guest the morning slot gets. If he hosted the morning show, should be just him and Westwood, no Brandon.

Hustler would be my other choice, I like his opinions most time, does a good interview.

I like Westwood but it would be a mistake to have him host the morning show. Its not his wheelhouse, better as the second guy, interjecting when needed but not having to carry the show.

Wish Curt Keilbach was still doing the PxP. Would be awesome if they had him call the Heritage Classic Alumni game.

Once again, Keilbach was brutal on PxP near the end of his run calling games, couldn't keep up with the play, mistake prone and not good anymore. Don't get this yearning to re-live the 80's. Keilbach is done, lets move on!:help:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Once again, Keilbach was brutal on PxP near the end of his run calling games, couldn't keep up with the play, mistake prone and not good anymore. Don't get this yearning to re-live the 80's. Keilbach is done, lets move on!:help:

In his prime he was a great PxP guy, had a polished voice, interjected energy and a solid flow to the games he called.

Back in the 80's, I would hazard a guess that I probably listen to 80% of the games on the radio, and Curt's voice was the soundtrack to my Jets growing up.

He has one good game calling left in him, hearing him call Ducky and Essssensssa!!!!!!!!!! with the save for the heritage alumni game would be awesome.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Used to like Hustler,; now he does way too much crap with Assiniboia Downs, eating contests, wager networks, etc. & constantly discussing NFL. Although he's usually good on H & L, the warm-up which he coordinates is usually a total waste of time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but all the eating contest talks, sports betting ect.. are all summer time talk that fizzles out once the NHL season starts.

You are really limited in sports content for the summer months. Baseball and CFL are it, and there really is only so many ways you can regurgitate the same Trouba topics.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
I'm clearly in the minority hear, but I much prefer the Big Show to H&L and Illegal Curve to almost all of the TSN programming. I find the Rick Ralph, Hustler and Lawless triumvirate (along with the Edmunds/Beyak duo) to be too arrogant and dismissive for my tastes, and quite frankly don't think they know all that much about sports in 2016; Lawless in particular.

The Big Show and IC are the only programs that don't fall over themselves to profess their love for Chevy and TNSE and whenever a caller points that out to RR or H&L, they shout him down before carrying on their love fest. BS and IC are not traditional sports experts, but I find their conversations follow the kinds that other sports fans have, with more than enough insight to have constructive debates.

Matt has his moments, like every radio personality has, but the fact of the matter is, it would be a pretty poor show if they all agreed all the time. Sure, he plays the role of $**t disturber from time to time, but somebody has to.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Pretty much agree with you Powder except that I can't stand the IC show.

I enjoy just listening to the BS more than any of the other shows. It's just guys talking about sports. None of them are pretending to be "insiders" or "capologists" or anything like that. Hell, they really barely even pretend to be radio hosts. I enjoyed richardson because he was a genuinely funny guy who regularly got conversations going about sports or pooping or whatever that made me laugh out loud. That hasn't happened in ages. But I still enjoy the BS most just because there's none of the "serious" attitude of the other shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad