Connecticut
wow, you learn something fun every day

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 9.55.11 PM.jpg

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Kind of wish Gritsyuk could come over next year.
This is my heart opinion, but my brain opinion is that two years will be perfect timing. He'll more or less be a finished product, and hopefully the team will be in a much more stable place with goaltending and coaching sorted out. It'll be the perfect environment to insulate Gritsyuk.

Reactions: My3Sons and ZYXWVUT

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
No chance for Gritsyuk to come over next season? Feels like we have been waiting forever on this kid. I’m excited to see what he can do at the NHL level!!

Both Grits and Lenni in 25-26 season?

Depends when his KHL season wraps up. Gagarin Cup playoffs usually start in early March and wrap up late April. Back in 2019, Nikita Gusev's team was knocked out on April 9th. He signed his ELC with Vegas on April 14th and joined them for practice on April 17th. The next day was Game 4 between Vegas/San Jose in the opening round of the playoffs. They understandably didn't want to throw Gusev directly into the playoffs, but he would have been eligible since he was on their reserve list prior to signing.

SKA seems to make the final four every season, so maybe at best Gritsyuk makes a cameo in practice if we qualify for the playoffs.

It'll be interesting if he has enough leverage to have his ELC start immediately like Gusev did. Since Gritsyuk would be 24 when signing, it'd be a 1 year ELC. So if it was burned he'd be an RFA (without offer sheet privileges) in the summer of 2025.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Can't believe we drafted this guy almost five years ago and he's still not able to come over this fall. LMAO.
If he was here this season and was ok but not great would it have moved the needle? This has been a lost season. NJ can probably see him in time for the playoffs next season.

Reactions: Shakir ONeal

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Can't believe we drafted this guy almost five years ago and he's still not able to come over this fall. LMAO.

That might be why certain GMs/teams passed up on him (and other Russian prospects who needed more time). GM might not be there by the time the player comes over. Minnesota drafted Kirill Kaprizov in 2015, he signed in the 2020 offseason and debuted the following season. Nikita Gusev was drafted in 2012 and didn't sign until 2018.

One of my rituals in my keeper league was adding defenseman Ilya Nikulin (and dropping him a few months later). Atlanta drafted him in 2000 with their 2nd rounder. He was perpetually teasing about coming to the NHL. But once the ELC system was modified in 2005, he'd be taking a pay cut (initially) to come to North America.

When he was finally old enough to not be required to sign an ELC, he was firmly entrenched in Russia and not as motivated to move with a young family. He flirted with the NHL one last time in 2015 with Washington (Ovechkin is his son's godfather) but opted to remain in Russia.

Comically CapFriendly still lists Nikulin on Winnipeg's reserve list even though he retired in 2019. Although maybe that means he wasn't able to sign with Washington in 2015 and would have had to arrange a trade?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Сant believe except Gritsyuk we have only one prospect forward after the next 4 drafts with some visible NHL potential.

Its not that hard to believe Gritsyuk doesnt want to waste his time in garbage league and want to achieve money without playin minor minutes in NHL for peanuts after garbage league for even smaller peanuts.

This is way better situation with how Devils treat Holtz. Yeah. Thats how 5th rounder should treat for better and for people who cant believe.

Imagine if we would not waste this 5th round pick for this Russian dum and would draft some real NCAA talent. Like Moynihan and McCarthy.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Сant believe except Gritsyuk we have only one prospect forward after the next 4 drafts with some visible NHL potential.

Its not that hard to believe Gritsyuk doesnt want to waste his time in garbage league and want to achieve money without playin minor minutes in NHL for peanuts after garbage league for even smaller peanuts.

This is way better situation with how Devils treat Holtz. Yeah. Thats how 5th rounder should treat for better and for people who cant believe.

Imagine if we would not waste this 5th round pick for this Russian dum and would draft some real NCAA talent. Like Moynihan and McCarthy.

Oh yeah I don’t blame him for not wanting to play in the AHL

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Oh yeah I don’t blame him for not wanting to play in the AHL
I dont know whats wrong with AHL, may be salaries, may be relationships, but I think AHL and NHL should work on image of AHL, make conditions of life better and pay more. I think AHL has good potential but when I look at how Devils treating their Utica team (@Bad Goalie will approve), Im not surprising at all why not so many players have desire to play and working hard for wins there. And Devils are not the only one who dont care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad