122nd US Open - June 16-19

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t see Fitzpatrick 3-putting so Zalatoris has to make that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well that was a pretty electric final round. Disappointed we didn’t get a playoff. That shot out of the bunker will be remembered forever.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
The difference in Fitzpatrick's attitude between the PGA Championship final round and today is stark. A month ago, he looked defeated after like two holes for some reason. Today, he was strutting and picking up his tees with swagger.

Gotta feel for Zalatoris. These aren't Westwood-tier close calls where he limps across the finish line again and again. He's playing lights out golf, and is just getting beat regardless.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
He’s going to get his. My new favorite player. Class act is right
CCDE0AB8-A19F-4B47-9DCE-1CDD1C3DD566.jpeg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Course playing much easier, and suddenly the Denny McCarthys and the Nick Hardys of the golf world are suddenly creeping back into it. Really sad and disgraceful.
USGA doesn’t want to be criticized anymore by the players. We may never get another US Open where the winning score is over par.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fitz is a proper top golfer. Dude has won at a high rate at every level he’s played at. People can say his first PGA Tour win was a major, but he has a lot of European Tour wins. Just bad luck really that he hadn’t won PGA Tour events yet. He’s been putting up good finishes for a few years now. Willy Z is getting a little bit of a reputation of a player who plays a lot better in majors than regular events. Sorry to him. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but I don’t want to see someone who hasn’t won on a big tour yet win his first big tour event as a major. Let’s see him win a Tour event before he wins a major. There’s only four of these a year. Shouldn’t be for guys that don’t win regular events.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Fitz is a proper top golfer. Dude has won at a high rate at every level he’s played at. People can say his first PGA Tour win was a major, but he has a lot of European Tour wins. Just bad luck really that he hadn’t won PGA Tour events yet. He’s been putting up good finishes for a few years now. Willy Z is getting a little bit of a reputation of a player who plays a lot better in majors than regular events. Sorry to him. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but I don’t want to see someone who hasn’t won on a big tour yet win his first big tour event as a major. Let’s see him win a Tour event before he wins a major. There’s only four of these a year. Shouldn’t be for guys that don’t win regular events.

Your use of the word "regular" is rather ironic. Kind of like complaining that a playoff warrior doesn't deserve to win the Cup because they aren't as good in the "regular" season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Your use of the word "regular" is rather ironic. Kind of like complaining that a playoff warrior doesn't deserve to win the Cup because they aren't as good in the "regular" season.
I think winning the big championships in sports is largely about proving yourself over the long haul, and then getting rewarded for sustainable long-term success. I don’t think it’s the Habs getting the 8 seed, fluking their way to the final, and then getting a chance to win the Stanley Cup with 4 more wins. I like to watch these sports to see what the best in the world can do at the peak of their powers. If Zalatoris is so good, let’s see it in the regular tour events. I’m not saying he isn’t. I think it’ll all even out eventually, but in my estimation he doesn’t deserve a major yet.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I think winning the big championships in sports is largely about proving yourself over the long haul, and then getting rewarded for sustainable long-term success. I don’t think it’s the Habs getting the 8 seed, fluking their way to the final, and then getting a chance to win the Stanley Cup with 4 more wins. I like to watch these sports to see what the best in the world can do at the peak of their powers. If Zalatoris is so good, let’s see it in the regular tour events. I’m not saying he isn’t. I think it’ll all even out eventually, but in my estimation he doesn’t deserve a major yet.

He is a player that appears to rise to the occasion in the most pressure packed environments. That brings out the best in some players while many others wilt away and never win a major despite winning regular tour events. He is fully deserving of a major and could care less if that's all he wins.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

He is a player that appears to rise to the occasion in the most pressure packed environments. That brings out the best in some players while many others wilt away and never win a major despite winning regular tour events. He is fully deserving of a major and could care less if that's all he win
It could be that unlike many good golfers Zalatoris doesn't succumb to the added pressure of the majors. Lots of really talented guys can win on easier tracks that most people don't care about but put them in a difficult venue with everyone watching they can't perform like they normally do. Zalatoris could be similar to Brooks Koepka, who when healthy, has played his best golf at the majors.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia

Cool graph that shows how players perform in majors relative to their performance in regular Tour events. Obviously, Willy Z's showings so far are unsustainable, but it is cool to see how the idea that great players elevate at the majors is not just some romantic make believe.

And then there's Tiger, who just goes full throttle, whether he's playing at Augusta or your local pitch and putt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad