GDT: #12 New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders 7PM: Still Broken Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDDevils*

Ugh...

If Larsson was bad, who was good?

A bad game from a defenseman who played 20+ minutes would have resulted in a much different score.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Are you ****ing kidding me? Did you actually watch the game? The ice was terrible all night. Both teams had issues with it.

Larsson was fine. It wasn't his best game but he was far from terrible.
I watched the game 3 times, live the 2nd broadcast right after the game and today at lunch time. Larsson was horrible. He was chasing the play all night, scrambling to get into position and he was caught flat footed more than once. Just watch that highlight film...he's chasing and scrambling throughout the whole thing, not to mention flat out burned at the 2:37 mark of that video.

GDDevils*

I watched the game 3 times, live the 2nd broadcast right after the game and today at lunch time. Larsson was horrible. He was chasing the play all night, scrambling to get into position and he was caught flat footed more than once. Just watch that highlight film...he's chasing and scrambling throughout the whole thing, not to mention flat out burned at the 2:37 mark of that video.

Apparently we watched two different games. Like I said he wasn't fantastic, but far from terrible.

The ice last night was some of the worst I've ever seen. It made players on both teams look silly at times. I'm not going to hold one player to a higher standard of play than the rest. As far as his actual play, Larsson was good but not great. Same can be said of most of our defense though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A regular season loss in November you watched three times?

I watch every Devil game at least twice. Usually the live and the second broadcast that same night. I also record everything "New Jersey Devils". So I get the same game recorded on msg 3 or 4 times and will always watch the 60 minute replay if I have it recorded.

So with this game, I probably see it again before I delete all the recordings.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Our two most reliable defensemen had a bad shift and it ended up costing us. It happens. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell we were doing on the first goal. Somehow Schlemko ended up halfway to the blueline and Gionta was where Schlemko should have been. Then Gelinas kicks it in. That pairing always seem to be an adventure.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Our two most reliable defensemen had a bad shift and it ended up costing us. It happens. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell we were doing on the first goal. Somehow Schlemko ended up halfway to the blueline and Gionta was where Schlemko should have been. Then Gelinas kicks it in. That pairing always seem to be an adventure.

Its more one of those two who is the true adventure and should be sitting Friday IMO.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Haha that's a BAD move man! That's a surefire way to get rejected!

But that's still awesome that you actually did that though!:laugh::handclap:

I actually wouldn't mind going out with a girl that was into the Rangers, as long as she was actually a hockey fan. But she better prepared for me to bust her chops about it from time to time.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, but she better be able to take the heat!

She had repeatedly claimed that she had a sick sense of humor, and demonstrated it by telling me on the phone that she had just found out that she was pregnant... and then revealed a few minutes later that she had said it only to gauge my reaction, and that she was far from pregnant. So I felt like she had it coming to her. :naughty:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Larsson and Greene had a tough game, definitely their worst of the season, but they were not terrible.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Agree on that play. But in general the breakouts have been much better this year. They are coming through the neutral zone better too. Maybe we're just a better skating club. No maybe, certainly we are.

Oh, we're definitely better than last year. It's just still something that the team struggles with, mostly because of the personnel, and it ended up costing us on the gamewinner. We're moving in the right direction, but we're obviously not at our destination yet, or even particularly close to it, although we didn't really expect to be this season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oh, we're definitely better than last year. It's just still something that the team struggles with, mostly because of the personnel, and it ended up costing us on the gamewinner. We're moving in the right direction, but we're obviously not at our destination yet, or even particularly close to it, although we didn't really expect to be this season.

I don't think we match up well with the Isle's either to be honest. Out of all 12 games we played. The two we played against them were definitely the worst we have played this year IMO.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We haven't matched up well with the Isles in years because of their speed and our lack of...same with the Jets (and that was a horrendous game on Opening Night). Honestly the Saturday game I was impressed they didn't allow the Isles speed to be a huge factor, despite the fact they themselves couldn't get squat going. Yesterday was probably a different story, and they played both games without JT.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We haven't matched up well with the Isles in years because of their speed and our lack of...same with the Jets (and that was a horrendous game on Opening Night). Honestly the Saturday game I was impressed they didn't allow the Isles speed to be a huge factor, despite the fact they themselves couldn't get squat going. Yesterday was probably a different story, and they played both games without JT.

It really wasn't. Speed wasn't an issue, they were just extremely disruptive against our break outs and better on the boards. Aggressive forecheck was causing problems too.

Our success has come from solid breakouts and good cycling and possession time, we couldn't do that against the Isles effectively

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't think we match up well with the Isle's either to be honest. Out of all 12 games we played. The two we played against them were definitely the worst we have played this year IMO.

Good point. Sometimes there are just teams that you don't match up well against. At least we've won one game against them this year. Now we just have to move onto Friday.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Larsson is so good that when he's mediocre he gets jumped on. I watch every Devils game at LEAST 4 times before I make a judgement, btw. :sarcasm:

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
All game I was wondering where our wingers were in the defensive zone. The isles points were always open. The wingers are always chasing and throwing themselves out of position.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
All game I was wondering where our wingers were in the defensive zone. The isles points were always open. The wingers are always chasing and throwing themselves out of position.

Excellent observation, one I also made yesterday.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
the team just had a ****** game. wonder if they dialed it down a notch given the lack of tavares. the other game vs nyi wasn't exactly inspiring either

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
the team just had a ****** game. wonder if they dialed it down a notch given the lack of tavares. the other game vs nyi wasn't exactly inspiring either

It's just simply that is and the Islanders are a bad match-up.

Okposo seems to have Larssons number for whatever reason and we always struggle against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad