GDT: #12 New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders 7PM: Still Broken Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
As for Barclays, you couldn't pay me enough to try that commute during the week.
Plus I am not too fond of how that The Rat stole our state's NBA team as part of his real estate fortunes.

The only reason I would have to go to that arena was to see the Devils play, so maybe I'll hike out there on a weekend day game to see our Devils.

Devils fans typically brought a large contingent to the NVMC, from the looks of it on tv last night, there seemed to be a good amount of red-cladded NJD fans in the stands.

For those that attended, was there more or less red compared to our games at the NVMC?

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
I assume you're a Ranger fan, don't you go to the Garden? I can understand you take in the occasional game at Barclay, but if you don't like it, don't go. I enjoyed my experience there, however, now that I saw the arena, it's back to the Rock for me.

Me? A Ranger fan? That'd be like asking Donald Trump if he's a Rosie O'Donnell fan.

I hate the Garden and I hate the Rags.

I've been to Barclays many times, as I'm, like yourself, from Brooklyn. But I've been a Devils fan for over 20 years.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Me? A Ranger fan? That'd be like asking Donald Trump if he's a Rosie O'Donnell fan.

I hate the Garden and I hate the Rags.

I've been to Barclays many times, as I'm, like yourself, from Brooklyn. But I've been a Devils fan for over 20 years.

:handclap:

That automatically makes you a good person IMO. ;)

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
As for Barclays, you couldn't pay me enough to try that commute during the week.
Plus I am not too fond of how that The Rat stole our state's NBA team as part of his real estate fortunes.

The only reason I would have to go to that arena was to see the Devils play, so maybe I'll hike out there on a weekend day game to see our Devils.

Devils fans typically brought a large contingent to the NVMC, from the looks of it on tv last night, there seemed to be a good amount of red-cladded NJD fans in the stands.

For those that attended, was there more or less red compared to our games at the NVMC?

There was a big contingent of Devil fans there last night, I do not think it was as big as the crowds that used to go to the Coliseum though.

Camille the Eel

From what I could see on TV replays, we got outmuscled down low on both goals. Gionta on the first one and Larsen on the second.

(We saw that a lot last year, less this year - but that's how the Islanders score, they are one of the rare NHL teams in the past two years of lightning speed that still believes in brute force down low).

And on the game winner, no matter what Greene says, it was Larsen who was the goat and twice during the same extended play. Cizikas beat him first along the boards, and then he beat Larsen again right in front of the net when actually scoring the puck. That was the view of the Islanders' broadcasters in their post-game anatomy, anyway, and the replays show it.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
:handclap:

That automatically makes you a good person IMO. ;)

I'm not, though.

Last year, I went out with a girl I had just met. During the first date she mentioned being a huge die-hard Ranger fan who went to MSG all the time, so for the second date I wore my 2012 Eastern Conference Champions shirt, and I said "Henrique, It's Over!" as we were walking into the restaurant. Needless to say after that night she wanted nothing to do with me anymore.

You can be a bad person (or a bad fella) and root for the right teams. :D

elias026

Jul 12, 2006
montreal
From what I could see on TV replays, we got outmuscled down low on both goals. Gionta on the first one and Larsen on the second.

(We saw that a lot last year, less this year - but that's how the Islanders score, they are one of the rare NHL teams in the past two years of lightning speed that still believes in brute force down low).

And on the game winner, no matter what Greene says, it was Larsen who was the goat and twice during the same extended play. Cizikas beat him first along the boards, and then he beat Larsen again right in front of the net when actually scoring the puck. That was the view of the Islanders' broadcasters in their post-game anatomy, anyway, and the replays show it.

https://youtu.be/wsfsws2EnSg?t=157
Larsson was covering Martin both times

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

Larsson wasn't on Cizikas until the puck came off Schneider's pad. Greene couldn't tie CIzikas stick fast enough to where Larsson could take the puck out of danger. They lost the board battle initially which Larsson could have won between him and Cizikas but the ultimate deciding play wasn't on him. Doesn't really matter Greene and him have made enough great defensive plays to be caught quite a few times and get a pass for it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Larsson wasn't on Cizikas until the puck came off Schneider's pad. Greene couldn't tie CIzikas stick fast enough to where Larsson could take the puck out of danger. They lost the board battle initially which Larsson could have won between him and Cizikas but the ultimate deciding play wasn't on him. Doesn't really matter Greene and him have made enough great defensive plays to be caught quite a few times and get a pass for it.

I don't even think Greene understood what happened.

If you want to microanalyze the goal, sure it was Greene's fault. But the shot was tipped and Greene even had Cizikas' stick tied up in the air until right after it hit Schneiders pad. Cizikas just made a nice move and managed to free himself long enough to get a stick on the puck.

It was just an overall nice play from the Islanders. The tip from Martin caused Schneider to have to adjust and left a rebound in front of the net and Cizikas made a nice quick play. That's it. Devils had the play covered relatively well.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I don't even think Greene understood what happened.

If you want to microanalyze the goal, sure it was Greene's fault. But the shot was tipped and Greene even had Cizikas' stick tied up in the air until right after it hit Schneiders pad. Cizikas just made a nice move and managed to free himself long enough to get a stick on the puck.

It was just an overall nice play from the Islanders. The tip from Martin caused Schneider to have to adjust and left a rebound in front of the net and Cizikas made a nice quick play. That's it. Devils had the play covered relatively well.

Yeah true so often on these plays we criticize guys but never give credit to the other guy for making a good play.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Agreed on the bolded. Didn't like to see it happen, but they have saved more then their fair share of goals so it is what it is.

Maybe if Gely doesn't boot the 1st goal in its a different game. Whatever move on to Friday.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Main problem with that goal is just that the Devils were trapped in their own zone so long. Team needs to get better at breaking out of their own end. That's more of a skill issue than an effort issue, but at least the guys were apparently doing skill drills in practice today.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Main problem with that goal is just that the Devils were trapped in their own zone so long. Team needs to get better at breaking out of their own end. That's more of a skill issue than an effort issue, but at least the guys were apparently doing skill drills in practice today.

Fatigue plays into it. It is hard to try and play a faster game when we are only rolling 3 lines at best. Guys were starting to look gassed in the third.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I am not a fan of 7D. I am also not a fan at all of trying any defensemen at forward. How many times has that worked in the NHL? Burns and Bfuglien are the only two I can think of that at least put up some numbers at forward.... but if I am not mistaken, they are both back on D now.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Fatigue plays into it. It is hard to try and play a faster game when we are only rolling 3 lines at best. Guys were starting to look gassed in the third.

True too. When the forwards are tired, it's more likely that we'll see people trapped out on the ice like what happened with the winning goal.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not, though.

Last year, I went out with a girl I had just met. During the first date she mentioned being a huge die-hard Ranger fan who went to MSG all the time, so for the second date I wore my 2012 Eastern Conference Champions shirt, and I said "Henrique, It's Over!" as we were walking into the restaurant. Needless to say after that night she wanted nothing to do with me anymore.

You can be a bad person (or a bad fella) and root for the right teams. :D
Haha that's a BAD move man! That's a surefire way to get rejected!

But that's still awesome that you actually did that though!:laugh::handclap:

I actually wouldn't mind going out with a girl that was into the Rangers, as long as she was actually a hockey fan. But she better prepared for me to bust her chops about it from time to time.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, but she better be able to take the heat!

Camille the Eel

Agree on that play. But in general the breakouts have been much better this year. They are coming through the neutral zone better too. Maybe we're just a better skating club. No maybe, certainly we are.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I miss Ruutu.

Brian O'Neill makes Ruutu look like a good offensive player.

That fan was super embarrassing, looked like a pee wee player out there on the ice with NHL players.

GDDevils*

Watch the first 5 seconds...that might be the worst turnover by a Devil dman in his own zone all season.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Did you actually watch the game? The ice was terrible all night. Both teams had issues with it.

Larsson was fine. It wasn't his best game but he was far from terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad