GDT: #12 Isles at Ducks - Wed Nov 5th 10:30pm| F/OTW 3-2

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Lee is an incredible HORSE with that puck down low. Very under-used and mis-used on this team.

I'm not going to jump on the Capuano disasterness in coaching because I feel he's also used as a scapegoat in cases where it's not HIM, it's the players - BUT, his LACK-OF awareness of how individuals are performing, their individual strengths and weaknesses and how to complement players to maximize results just doesn't exist. He seems to only see "puck management, gap control, good stick and battle level" - all very important things but a very SMALL PART of what makes an effective coach.

What (I believe) Capuano does well:
- He seems like a good motivator in a general sense, a player's coach, one who stresses the importance of a consistent approach to games/practices, support the puck, don't turn it over, work haad, etc. And I don't mean to diminish this because I also hear (via media) that there are some awful coaches that often don't even speak to players and give nothing but negative/destructive feedback (both Ron Wilson and Randy Carlyle have been accused of this in the Toronto media - mind you, I'd read the same thing of Scotty Bowman)

BUT:
- I don't think Capuano sees the game or the players, strategically. He seems to have fallen in love with his own idea of using that 4th line as an energy line BUT now that means they start every period, after every goal scored and get more minutes than what's best for the team.

- He cannot recognize that Conacher's not the right fit on the top line. It was clear in pre-season and maybe even before that, just a style of play, let alone skill/ability. This is also true of how he uses Tavares, how he uses Strome, Nelson, Lee - essentially his whole lineup.

- It also doesn't seem like the coaching staff can do anything with special teams. Doug Weight was an excellent hockey player and pretty impressive on the PP but looking at how the Isles play, they seem very erratic and unstructured. The PK is a colossal disaster in every way. They may as well throw JT and KO out there and try to get some shorthanded goals.

I can't see Cappy as a great motivator when every game there is a prolonged letdown, and we are not talking about a shift or two, but more like a period or more.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I went to the ducks boards to get their prospective on the game and man, very very sour group of posters.

I understand they were without two key players but points are points and at the end of the day your depth will get tested.

I mean not for nothing we were without players too for a period of time and one of our better forwards to start the year has a broke hand.

All-in-all my point is, well points are points and you need to get them early and often.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
I went to the ducks boards to get their prospective on the game and man, very very sour group of posters.

I understand they were without two key players but points are points and at the end of the day your depth will get tested.

I mean not for nothing we were without players too for a period of time and one of our better forwards to start the year has a broke hand.

All-in-all my point is, well points are points and you need to get them early and often.

yeah seriously, and at least their players will recover from the flu eventually. There's no vaccine for Jack Capuano. :naughty:

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
All I watched was the first period before I fell asleep. I woke up during the 3rd and saw 2-2 to turn there TV off and was glad to see they won in OT on my phone when I woke up this morning. Good to see the PP scored twice, JT scoring twice (first ES goal of the year I believe). Halak stopped 32 of 34 shots. First period looked good, I imagine the rest of the game went well too?

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Non Islander Fan here, big nhl fan, attended last nights Ducks game.
Here are a couple of observations.
1. Seriously, can Cappy see? Sometimes he wears his glasses other times not at all. Wear the glasses it cant hurt.
2. Cappy paces the bench like a lab rat. This doesn't give fans or the players a lot of confidence.
3. Has Cappy lost the team? Seems like the players have tuned him out.
He appears lost and just seems like the players are reading his actions.
4. Aside of that the lines he puts together are strange. Lee a young physical force is misused. There just doesn't seem to be a game plan or set approach, hence at times like in the second Halak is under a total peppermint. Strange approach and coaching.
5. Its scary the youth and speed the Islander team has, but coaching is
a real killer here as the youth development just wont happen under Cappy or the current coaching staff. A student of the game that can mold and teach the talent on this team is surely needed for them to live up to there potential.

tag0519

Jan 28, 2013
1. Seriously, can Cappy see? Sometimes he wears his glasses other times not at all. Wear the glasses it cant hurt.
2. Cappy paces the bench like a lab rat. This doesn't give fans or the players a lot of confidence.
4. Aside of that the lines he puts together are strange. Lee a young physical force is misused. There just doesn't seem to be a game plan or set approach, hence at times like in the second Halak is under a total peppermint. Strange approach and coaching.
a real killer here as the youth development just wont happen under Cappy or the current coaching staff. A student of the game that can mold and teach the talent on this team is surely needed for them to live up to there potential.

preachin' to the choir my friend ...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
All I watched was the first period before I fell asleep. I woke up during the 3rd and saw 2-2 to turn there TV off and was glad to see they won in OT on my phone when I woke up this morning. Good to see the PP scored twice, JT scoring twice (first ES goal of the year I believe). Halak stopped 32 of 34 shots. First period looked good, I imagine the rest of the game went well too?

Haha....that's funny ****. Good one, 86'.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Some notes:
- I'd rather see Sundstrom than Conacher. At least he can D up and PK, too.
- Moving Kulemin to #1LW really helps the first line, and really kills the matchup line.
- I really liked Strome on the PK. I'd like to see him get far more PK time.

Eye test plus numbers indicate:
- Leddy is a major difference-maker. That pairing is dynamic and balanced. NYI would be well below .500 without them.
- Visnovsky is having to carry Hickey who appears to be regressing.
- Strome needs to see more ice with better linemates.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Can you please explain the bolded parts? Especially after making these assessments after one game.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Can you please explain the bolded parts? Especially after making these assessments after one game.

Since Anders Lee's call up, he's been receiving 12:06 TOI per game which is equivalent to 4th line mins.

Ryan Strome 12:53 TOI per game.

Conacher has been receiving more ice per game and has put up a whopping 2 pts in 12 GP.

Tavares is playing pissed off, just look at his body language.

The best thing right now would be for the players to turn on there coach because Capuano is not a competent coach plain and simple. His lineup is absurd and the rotation of his goalies are absurd as well.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Haha....that's funny ****. Good one, 86'.

Hey like I said I fell asleep during the first intermission...stupid NHL.com doesn't really do good highlights anymore, they have some dude yapping and show 1/4 of the highlights they normally do. Held the Ducks (minus Perry and Getzlaf) to 2 goals, it couldn't have gone that badly? I was just looking at the stat sheet and noticed good things like JT with 2 goals, PP cashing in twice, Halak with 32 saves, only giving up 2 goals etc etc. I know it's not the best way to analyze a game, but I'm working with what I have

Since Anders Lee's call up, he's been receiving 12:06 TOI per game which is equivalent to 4th line mins.

Conacher has been receiving more ice per game and has put up a whopping 2 pts in 12 GP.

The best thing right now would be for the players to turn on there coach because Capuano is not a competent coach plain and simple. His lineup is absurd and the rotation of his goalies are absurd as well.

Unfortunately, for every game this team wins, it buys Cappy more time. Had they gone 0-5 on this trip, the odds of him going bye-bye are drastically increased. But they didn't get embarrassed by the Sharks and they beat the Ducks (Yes I know, No Perry, No Getzlaf, LaBarbera in net....but 2 pts is 2 pts) sooo...unless they drop the next 5 games in disasterous fashion, Cappy will be here for a while longer

Last edited:

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I WISH our players had it in them to turn on the coach, but they are way too professional to do that (not necessarily a bad thing, but it kind of is in this situation). If Tavares went to Snow and said if he didn't fire Cappy, then he was skipping town the first chance he got, then your damn right Snow would fire Cappy.

This game was ugly as ****. We got dominated by a team missing TWO elite players. If Perry and Getzlaf were in, we would have gotten absolutely destroyed last night.

It's really a shame that my rooting for us is being challenged at the moment. We NEED to keep getting points when we can to stay in the mix of things until the end, but at the same time I feel like Cappy is holding us back so much that we NEED some embarrassing losses so Snow can't turn a blind eye anymore (specifically in a season this important).

That's why I wish the players would outright oust Cappy themselves somehow, it'd be the best situation for the team overall, rather than waiting for the inevitable losing streak that would get him canned AND ruin our season at the same time.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Hey like I said I fell asleep during the first intermission...stupid NHL.com doesn't really do good highlights anymore, they have some dude yapping and show 1/4 of the highlights they normally do. Held the Ducks (minus Perry and Getzlaf) to 2 goals, it couldn't have gone that badly? I was just looking at the stat sheet and noticed good things like JT with 2 goals, PP cashing in twice, Halak with 32 saves, only giving up 2 goals etc etc. I know it's not the best way to analyze a game, but I'm working with what I have

Unfortunately, for every game this team wins, it buys Cappy more time. Had they gone 0-5 on this trip, the odds of him going bye-bye are drastically increased. But they didn't get embarrassed by the Sharks and they beat the Ducks (Yes I know, No Perry, No Getzlaf, LaBarbera in net....but 2 pts is 2 pts) sooo...unless they drop the next 5 games in disasterous fashion, Cappy will be here for a while longer

Exactly which is why I have hopped off of the hate wagon. It is what it is, I have come to accept Capuano will be here for at least another two seasons because then Ledecky and Malkin will be calling the shots.

I don't want to see the team lose, but I don't like Capuano so its a lose lose situation for me might as well have the team win but it just sickens me because he is holding this team back.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Lee and Strome need to EARN their ice time. This is the NHL, not middle school intramurals. Agree about Conacher. I predict (hope) this fascination ends soon.

Glad that Tavares is playing pissed off. The team was in the middle of a losing streak. He's the leader. The captain. And best player.

To turn on the coach would be an unprofessional, immature temper tantrum. Not to mention giving up.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Lee and Strome need to EARN their ice time. This is the NHL, not middle school intramurals. Agree about Conacher. I predict (hope) this fascination ends soon.

Glad that Tavares is playing pissed off. The team was in the middle of a losing streak. He's the leader. The captain. And best player.

To turn on the coach would be an unprofessional, immature temper tantrum. Not to mention giving up.

Is it immature if you've dealt with Cappy's BS for so many years and he's holding your team AND your career back? I guess the mature thing to do then would just be getting up and leaving at the first chance he gets, but we don't want that now do we? When someone is clearly holding a team back big time and NOTHING is being done about it, I think something should be done. I understand it's not the players responsibility, this all falls on Snow, but they could help get something done by putting pressure on Snow and saying "we're tired of his dumb decisions".

It's sad. Snow really should be getting rid of Cappy, but he won't. Everything Snow did this offseason is being negated by keeping Cappy around.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Is it immature if you've dealt with Cappy's BS for so many years and he's holding your team AND your career back? I guess the mature thing to do then would just be getting up and leaving at the first chance he gets, but we don't want that now do we? When someone is clearly holding a team back big time and NOTHING is being done about it, I think something should be done. I understand it's not the players responsibility, this all falls on Snow, but they could help get something done by putting pressure on Snow and saying "we're tired of his dumb decisions".

It's sad. Snow really should be getting rid of Cappy, but he won't. Everything Snow did this offseason is being negated by keeping Cappy around.

If JT, KO and especially Boychuk/Leddy who came from successful well coached teams had a closed door meeting with Ledecky/Malkin and voiced their concern, I'd have to believe the owners would be willing to make a move, particularly if they have no loyalty to him

Last edited:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
If JT, KO and especially Boychuk/Leddy who came from successful well coached teams had a closed door meeting with Ledecky/Malkin and voiced their concern, I'd have to believe the owners would be willing to make a move, particularly if they have no loyalty to him
Personally, if I was the owner I would lose all respect for those players if they did something like that. Esp, Boychuk and Leddy, who have only been here for a dozen games.:shakehead These players have to look in the mirror and ask themselves, "can I play better"? The answer should be YES I can.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Personally, if I was the owner I would lose all respect for those players if they did something like that. Esp, Boychuk and Leddy, who have only been here for a dozen games.:shakehead These players have to look in the mirror and ask themselves, "can I play better"? The answer should be YES I can.

Bingo.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Personally, if I was the owner I would lose all respect for those players if they did something like that. Esp, Boychuk and Leddy, who have only been here for a dozen games.:shakehead

Exactly. This is the difference between being a fan and being a player.

Look at this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1767321

Fans of every team are blasting their coaching and management decisions. No team is happy. Look at the fans complaining: Red Wings, Blackhawks, Bruins, Devils, etc. Teams that have had more success in a 6 month period than we have had in 20 years combined.

I'm not defending Capuano at all. He is horrible. I'm just pointing out the difference between what we know and see versus what people surrounding the team know and see.

It's what been a fan-atic is all about. Never happy.

9439e3b7594d27df185baacfc7259bdc2123520b61ae91aab19b45727d56525d.jpg

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
During OT, All the players were huddled around Weight who was drawing something up. Simple Jack was in the backdrop with a stuck on stupid face . There were a few times I noticed Boudreau was pacing back and forth behind his players and definitely lighting a fire under their ass, on the Isles bench Capuano is just standing there like he belongs in Madame Tussauds wax museum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad