GDT: 12/6/15 "Independence Day" - Panthers @ Devils, 7PM ET

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
The guys shouldn't feel down on themselves after this game as besides the first ten minutes of the 1st Period, I thought they played a pretty damn good game. Overall, I think it was a much better effort than in Nashville or Columbus, but the pucks didn't bounce our way tonight and did in those two games.

Huberdeau I think had his best game of the season and the top line was flying. I never want to see Gallant pair Campbell and Mitchell again as they were on the ice for three of the Devils goals. The winning streak had to end at some point. It just sucks that it was against a team neck-and-neck with us in the race.

The game on Tuesday should be a good one as both teams are coming off of losses and the Sens are right ahead of us in the standings. Hopefully a decent-sized crowd attends too as it's during the week and against an unpopular opponent.

We definitely won 2/3 periods tonight. A slow start really hurt us tonight, also we were very undisciplined today. I noticed during our streak that we were very responsible not taking bad penalties.

Some unlucky bounces didn't help either tonight,

bjugstadfan

Dec 22, 2014
Negatives: That was loungo's worst game of the season.
Positives: we dominated the the forecheck and cycle in the offensive zone. Just not enough high quality scoring chances. Sadly it seems over the years the games we dominate we find a way to lose.

How do the devils own us?!

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Ok read through the thread, seems like they were the better team, can't win them all, whatever. Lu usually bounces back from a bad game, the problem is Anderson owns the Panthers. And they never play Ottawa well. Still a great road trip.

The unfortunate thing is that while Florida was playing poorly everyone else was as well, but now all the other borderline teams have picked it up.

Last edited:

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Normally I would be down after a loss...but the play from the 2nd period on was really encouraging. It just didn't happen. A win at home vs. OTT would make this all go away.

Wander

May 12, 2014
Negatives: That was loungo's worst game of the season.
Positives: we dominated the the forecheck and cycle in the offensive zone. Just not enough high quality scoring chances. Sadly it seems over the years the games we dominate we find a way to lose.

How do the devils own us?!

To be fair, 2 of those goals are completely on the defence. But otherwise a fairly positive effort, yes.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Not all that encouraged by the play in the 2nd and 3rd period. New Jersey just sat on the lead the same as the Panthers did a few times in their winning streak. You could see the Cats were playing catch up as they were sending dmen on every rush. You are not going to see that kind of play unless your are behind. Just not going to win many games when you only score 2 goals.

Huberdeau and the 1st line had an excellent game. They all came to play. Let's hope this is an indication of what to expect from now on. Tro was totally lost on the last goal and needs to be more aware of players around him in the D zone. He got caught watching the puck.

The young guys looked good and it was definitely Shaw's best game. He was aggressive and did some hitting along with being in good defensive position most of the game. He was beat up the ice and got lucky when either Lu made the save or the guy missed the net. That was his only error in a solid effort.

I think Ottawa has some injuries to Turris (leg injury Sat night, but played today), so maybe they can pull one out at home.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
My oh my, why does it have to end against NJ of all things, currently one of the direct competitors for the WC spots and imo one of the teams to be dislike the most (due to their history but especially for the playoffs in 2011-2012, it still stings each time we play them. Finally saw a bit angry Guds again against Palmieri!)

I'd gladly trade this loss with a win of the prior 3 games...

Favourite moment of the game though: NJ commentators upset with the penalty shot call, just to be told otherwise by John MacLean between the benches. Apparantly you really don't need to know hockey when you are a play-by-play or color commentator :sarcasm:

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Hate playing the Devils, they're a team that always kill us. Even if I think we deserved the win last night.

Schneider was a bit lucky on HUberdeaus PS, and that Barkov miss was bad. Still a great road trip, who would have thought we win that many games?

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Hate playing the Devils, they're a team that always kill us. Even if I think we deserved the win last night.

Schneider was a bit lucky on HUberdeaus PS, and that Barkov miss was bad. Still a great road trip, who would have thought we win that many games?

Barkov never should have had the puck. Huby clearly shoud have shot.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
So Far in the last four games I have heard different people say:

1. We never play St. Louis well

2. We never play Nashville well

3. We never play Columbus well

4. We never play NJ well

Who do we play well against? It appears we matchup poorly with 90% of the NHL. Why?

You didn't get the memo?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Not all that encouraged by the play in the 2nd and 3rd period. New Jersey just sat on the lead the same as the Panthers did a few times in their winning streak. You could see the Cats were playing catch up as they were sending dmen on every rush. You are not going to see that kind of play unless your are behind. Just not going to win many games when you only score 2 goals.

Huberdeau and the 1st line had an excellent game. They all came to play. Let's hope this is an indication of what to expect from now on. Tro was totally lost on the last goal and needs to be more aware of players around him in the D zone. He got caught watching the puck.

The young guys looked good and it was definitely Shaw's best game. He was aggressive and did some hitting along with being in good defensive position most of the game. He was beat up the ice and got lucky when either Lu made the save or the guy missed the net. That was his only error in a solid effort.

I think Ottawa has some injuries to Turris (leg injury Sat night, but played today), so maybe they can pull one out at home.

:dunno:

Are you talking about the Nashville or Columbus game? Surely you are not talking about the Devils game. The 2nd and 3rd periods we played well. I would say it was our best second period all season!

EstConf96*

4. We never play NJ well

Who do we play well against? It appears we matchup poorly with 90% of the NHL. Why?

Have also been noticing this allot. :laugh:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

I'm on the fence. I almost always prefer taking the shot on high quality chances (that was a very high quality chance) but I think Barkov buries that 9.5/10 times. It was a slam dunk and hubby's passing game has been on point. Schneider came out so far, I don't know if Hubs had much to shoot at.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011

4. We never play NJ well

Well when you've been a mediocre to downright awful team for 2 decades, you tend to have poor records vs a lot of teams. Is it that hard to understand? We have awful records vs St. Louis and Nashville. Not sure about Columbus but to deny history is to deny the very thing that makes us human. Capiche?

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Well when you've been a mediocre to downright awful team for 2 decades, you tend to have poor records vs a lot of teams. Is it that hard to understand? We have awful records vs St. Louis and Nashville. Not sure about Columbus but to deny history is to deny the very thing that makes us human. Capiche?

Past performance against any team has exactly 0.0000% impact on the result of the current performance.

Outworking the opponent has a lot more correlation. Last night we outworked our opponent for 2 out of 3 periods and lost.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Past performance against any team has exactly 0.0000% impact on the result of the current performance.

Outworking the opponent has a lot more correlation. Last night we outworked our opponent for 2 out of 3 periods and lost.

I wouldnt say it has 0% impact. If the team maintains the same identity it could be a matter of matchups. We don't match up well against fast teams. Or teams who play their backup goaltenders

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Something like, we have won 6 games out of 19 against them. Considering they have been awful for most of their existence, this one is slightly puzzling.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009

Disagree. Great move by Huberdeau, fooled everybody. You could also see that Barkov knew he should have scored there. When you play in the NHL you always have to be prepared to get the puck, especially infront og the net. If you'd ask Barkov, he would have only blamed himself for that miss.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Disagree. Great move by Huberdeau, fooled everybody. You could also see that Barkov knew he should have scored there. When you play in the NHL you always have to be prepared to get the puck, especially infront og the net. If you'd ask Barkov, he would have only blamed himself for that miss.

Ok.

But he did miss.

Huby could have taken the shot and at best its in, 2nd best juicy rebound.

Im with potivin on this, when a very good player is one on one, shoot the puck...keep it simple.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Ok.

But he did miss.

Huby could have taken the shot and at best its in, 2nd best juicy rebound.

Im with potivin on this, when a very good player is one on one, shoot the puck...keep it simple.

Barkov had a much easier shot. Hubs shot is also pretty terrible. I doubt it would have gone in, and who knows where the rebound would have gone. Normally, shooting would have been best, but Barkov was in a great position, and Hubs made the right play in this case. He served it on a platter for Barkov.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I also thought Ekblad had a great game along with Hubs. He looked like Drew Doughty out there, constantly jumping into the play, getting scoring chances, making moves in the offensive zone. We have a legit #1 in the making, potential Norris guy.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Barkov had a much easier shot. Hubs shot is also pretty terrible. I doubt it would have gone in, and who knows where the rebound would have gone. Normally, shooting would have been best, but Barkov was in a great position, and Hubs made the right play in this case. He served it on a platter for Barkov.

I don't agree that Huby's shot is terrible (and this is the reason why it is frustrating that he didn't use it in this situation).

Just watch some of his last goals of last season. He will not drill pucks top corner of the top of the faceoff dots. But in close he can really place it.

If Barkov had burried it, everybody would have said "what a fabulous pass". If Huby had shot and not scored, everyone would have been let him hear.

Enough with the what ifs, they didn't score. Huby had 2 options, Barky had one, so if we explicitly want to blame someone (which I don't) it is on Barky because the pass was perfect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad