Post-Game Talk: 12/5/17 | Hurricanes 0 @ Canucks 3 | Markstrom's first career shutout

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Awful first period, then had a solid last 40 minutes to get the win. Carolina is a well-coached team but just have no talent/finish up front.

- Markstrom played well and happy for him to get this 'record' thing off his back. Dumbest thing is that he wasn't even close to the actual record - Don Beaupre played over 150 games before getting a shutout and I don't even know if he's the real record holder.

- Horvat was a horse tonight and the team's best forward. Was a game breaking presence despite average linemates. Huge loss if he's out for any length of time.

- Gaunce carried his line and was the team's 2nd best forward. Winning puck battles all over the ice and playing with an edge. Only player moving his feet in first period. Is in the lineup for keeps at this point as a key player.

- Virtanen also had a good game, if a bit erratic and turnover prone. Positives outweighed the negatives, though, and he had lots of jump and some good chances. He and Gaunce look good together.

- Tanev was massive tonight and Edler very good as well. Carolina barely got a sniff with them on the ice.

- Pouliot was very good and is starting to show some swagger and confidence. Breakout passes were consistently quick and accurate and had one of his better defensive games.

- Gagner made a nice play on the PP on the 2-0 goal but man was he weak otherwise tonight. So easily outmatched in puck battles in his own zone.

- Goldobin looked deadly for 4 seconds tonight on the play where he scored but was otherwise very poor and did nothing to help Horvat who was all over the ice. Needs to find a way to get his feet moving more and inject himself into the offense more consistently.

- Granlund was a bit better tonight than other games recently but was decidedly the 3rd best player on his line.

- Baertschi ... very poor. Showing why he's a complimentary player and nothing more. Looked good as a 3rd wheel on a good line but separated does nothing by himself. 0 points, -6 in his last 6 games. Only 6 SOG in his last 10 games. His ~70 point pace has now dropped to a 49-point pace.

- Hutton looked great in a huge role when Tanev was hurt and is now oddly struggling in a smaller role.

- Vanek is so steezy and hilariously fun to watch. Did he even look at the net after he scored tonight?

The record was the most games played by someone who never recorded a shutout, not "longest time to get your first shutout". It was obvious he wasn't going to break that record unless his career abruptly ended anyways though.

I definitely agree about the whole Carolina coaching thing though, if Peters is available I'd can whoever we had right at that second.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. I don't know. Its a tough situation because Hutton plays on the left side and he's played his best hockey with Gudbranson so it makes me think they've developed some chemistry. That being said, I'd hate to sit Stecher as I believe his compete level is inspiring to others. It does look like Pouliot is there to stay and seems pretty comfortable on the right side.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and when Gudbranson comes back so we'll see but it looks like it could be a difficult decision for Greene.

Stecher should be the guy coming out. Of the 6 guys in the lineup right now he's making the least impact and playing the lowest overtime.

Gaunce is now a key player?

Led our forwards in TOI tonight and was one of the best players on the ice.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
glad marky got the so.

i don't think it's right to take any goaltending records held by 80s goalies, let alone pockey.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Stecher should be the guy coming out. Of the 6 guys in the lineup right now he's making the least impact and playing the lowest overtime.

it might be stecher because pouliot is blossoming on the right side. i think hutton is really struggling though. his body language tonight seemed to telegraph frustration. he's getting bottom six minutes regularly now and i think is coach green's doghouse.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

Led our forwards in TOI tonight and was one of the best players on the ice.

17 minutes without a shot on goal.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I like what Green is doing with the ice time. Shows confidence in his players. It gives guys a boost, knowing your coach believes in you enough to play you in big minutes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
it might be stecher because pouliot is blossoming on the right side. i think hutton is really struggling though. his body language tonight seemed to telegraph frustration. he's getting bottom six minutes regularly now and i think is coach green's doghouse.

He's played bottom-pair minutes for literally one game. He was over 20 minutes for 22 of the previous 24 games, averaging ~23 minutes/game over that stretch.

Agreed he's fallen off in the past couple games but he was the team's best defender (and on several nights best player) for most of November.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Did you actually watch the game tonight?

He isn't going to score if he doesn't shoot on net, with 17 minutes of ice time you would expect to hit the net at least once. Unless, perhaps the stat keepers are holding out on him.

He had a good game but I hardly think of him as a key player.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He's played bottom-pair minutes for literally one game. He was over 20 minutes for 22 of the previous 24 games, averaging ~23 minutes/game over that stretch.

Agreed he's fallen off in the past couple games but he was the team's best defender (and on several nights best player) for most of November.

i stand corrected. i thought he has been swinging back and forth for a while now but it looks like he is mostly seeing big minutes other than the last 3. could be an injury.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He isn't going to score if he doesn't shoot on net, with 17 minutes of ice time you would expect to hit the net at least once. Unless, perhaps the stat keepers are holding out on him.

he is contributing in much the same way sutter and granlund have contributed with high minutes. looks good to me other than maybe a little slow footed. i'd be patient.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Only Boeser and Horvat are getting SOG at ES at a higher rate than Gaunce. That he didn't get one tonight was an anomaly, especially considering how well he played. Also his linemates got 6 ES SOG thanks in large part to his strong work.

Who would you say was the most important/most effective defensive forward in the lineup tonight?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed it might be Stecher..this isn't like last year with Willie... Green has cut his minutes back..It was also very obvious tonight that Hutton was having problems reading the play,and getting stripped of the puck in the d-zone,.....He was far to easy to play against.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks were second best in many parts of this game but ultimately didn't matter. Stuck to the system in their own end and got enough good goal-tending to hang in.

Good

Markstrom - another outstanding effort. Looks unbeatable at times

Virtanen - thought he had a very good game. Maybe a case of comparing him to how he was in the past but he is so much more in the play. Doing a good job getting the puck out of zone and competing in his own zone. Too bad he couldn't complete plays on offense but he look dangerous. Is becoming a better player and kudos to Green for this.

Horvath - not his best game but still a solid effort. Canucks are in tough if he is out for any time. Imagine Burmistrov will get some time if Horvat is out.

Pouliot - clever with the puck and making little moves to get himself space to make plays. Progress has been impressive.

Edler - really assertive since returning from injury. Backbone of the defense whose play deep in his zone has been critical to the Canucks success

Stecher - had to do lot work to get puck out of his zone and to cover up for Hutton. One player that could push the puck thru the neutral zone

Gaunce - still never looks like doing anything offensively but he worked the boards well and was effective on the fore check. Increased ice time for him and Virtanen is a reflection of better play

Not so good

Hutton - doing everything too slow. Shows up in his inability to take out people around his net and do anything from the point in the offensive zone. Taking way too long to get his shot off and too slow to support the puck in the neutral zone. I think he has become consistently the worst defenseman and is likely the player out if Gudbranson returns

Others

Goldobin - can see he needs to get his confidence. treats the puck like a hot potato at times. Also his play in his own zone is need of work. Hopefully goal can take a little pressure off. A player that needs to play with swagger.

Boeser - like the way he is playing in every zone. Becoming a much better overall player although you don't want that to detract from his offense.

Vanek - guy has a great stick. Not very good in his end but the effort is there.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Was at the game tonight.

Virtanen had an extremely good game, clearly has the tools to succeed, clearly doesn't have the same shot since shoulder surgery which is extremely disappointing. Looks like a guy that will be a good middle 6 forward long term though, been a good season for him.

Pouliot was excellent, transitioned the puck extremely well and was extremely solid in his own end. Like him as a #5 ish guy for this team.

Gaunce was very good, pushed the play well with Virtanen, love the forecheck on that line. I try and move Sutter to the wing and have him take Granlund's spot on that line.

Tanev was quietly extremely solid as always, Edler is rounding back into form after a tough start.

Hope Horvat isn't out long term, he was very good again tonight.

Sedins created a few chances and still look like they have gas left in the tank, again don't mind keeping them for another season in a 3rd line role.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Carolina is a remedy we needed, remember, 9 games losing streak? Finally broke them with Burrows' shorty. Needed to break a streak without a shutout? Play Hurricanes. Congrats Marky for avoiding that dreaded record breathing down your neck.

Markuss

Dec 2, 2017
Vancouver
I'm happy we don't have to talk about this anymore. The most talked about thing going into the Toronto game was the start time. The most talked about thing against Carolina was Marky not having a shutout.

I sometimes feel like the media makes these into stories and then the fans talk about them and it seems like it's a big deal. Start times sometimes get changed for networks. I don't love playing Sunday afternoon playoff games to accommodate NBC but I don't remember it being big news. If we had started at 7 on Sat or if Carolina got a late one tonight, we'd be in the same situation we're in now.

Happy to see Marky get the goose-egg but it feels like all this pressure on him to get a shutout wasn't real. Nobody was talking about it until he came close on Sat. I know the media want to create talking points and they definitely did that. I just think it makes it seem like the fans are whining about start times or going on about a shutout streak when we didn't really think it was a big deal.

I can only speak for myself so I could be wrong. Was this really a big deal to everyone or did media coverage just make it look that way?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
How do you guys feel about the play of Goldobin? Do you think he'll stay on the top line? Do you think he'll get any regular PP time?

Goldobin put in some good work in Utica and will be in the lineup at least until Sutter returns. Putting up points will help his case, but being solid on the other side of the puck will be just as important.

I don't see him getting at PP time right now because 1) Green hands out those rewards sparingly and judiciously, and 2) more importantly, both our PP units are gelling right now for the first time in years.

Liking what I'm seeing from Goldobin. His development is definitely ongoing, but the hands he's got are terrific.

I looked up how Hansen was doing last night. 1 assist in 17 games with San Jose and a minus player...yeesh. He needs a change in scenery.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

I looked up how Hansen was doing last night. 1 assist in 17 games with San Jose and a minus player...yeesh. He needs a change in scenery.

It'd be nice to see him rebound and a change of scenery might make a difference.

Hansen is about a year younger now than Higgins was when his production fell of the proverbial cliff.
The effects of age hit players at different times, but not everyone is Gordie Howe or Jaromir jagr and it isn't unusual for production to drop markedly as a player hits his early thirties. I'd have guessed he'd have another year or two before that would be a major factor in his career (after all, he's younger than Higgins was, younger than Vanek is and there are certainly other players who remain effective later than age 31) but he's reaching an age at which it is a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad