News Article: 12/22 Canadiens at Rangers Postponed

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Is it me or there's significantly less (if any at all) discussion (not even in a doomsayer manner) of hospitalizations, severity, symptoms, death rates, (re)vaxxing (not)affecting it etc.
This time it's just like OMICRON IS COMING OMICRON IS COMING !!!
cersei-lannistare-walk-of-shame.gif
There’s an informative article in the Times today about efficacy of various vaccines on omicron. Short version: Moderna works pretty well.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Reactions: Cmox

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The NFL has given the NHL the way out of this. Just do what they do. I'd even be ok if we went back to the previous divisional alignments to limit travel if that meant getting more games in.

Reactions: Ruggs225

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Not convinced the league will play all 82 games. Good thing the Rangers banked all these points early.

This is a great point.

I think the league will try to get in as many games as they can, but they are gonna be forced here during the break to hold off on playing a lot of games. I doubt a lot of the postponed games will actually be played. Omicron is exploding. The case and infection rate charts are going straight up.

Sending players to Beijing is in serious jeopardy (At this point it is all but decided they wont imho). But the problem is they really won't be able to reschedule many games within that Olympic break because all of the rinks went out and booked other events, even though the league told them to wait (like they were ever going to do that given the economics of Covid).

Maybe the only way we will see some games rescheduled within that time frame is if they come up with an outdoor stadium series in 6 locations where every team can get to play 2-4 outdoor games. But given the logistics, expenses of setting up the rinks, ticket sales, etc. its doubtful they would be able to pull that off.

Its looking like we may be headed towards the worst part of the pandemic.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Is it me or there's significantly less (if any at all) discussion (not even in a doomsayer manner) of hospitalizations, severity, symptoms, death rates, (re)vaxxing (not)affecting it etc.
This time it's just like OMICRON IS COMING OMICRON IS COMING !!!

I'd say that with this variant its going to be a vastly different experience with those who are vaxxed (with & without boosters) vs the unvaxxed. But it will affect all of us, sick with Covid or not.

Theres a hope that Omicron wont be as virulent as Delta but with the transmission rate seemingly much higher, the math says that the hospitals will be packed. The kicker is, if its just serious enough to put non-vaxxed people in hospital beds but not kill them (which is good thing) it may become a much more dire situation in that more care facilities wont have any room for more patients, both suffering from COVID AND Non-covid issues that require hospitalizations.

People seem to forget that we need hospital beds for many other diseases, issues, emergencies etc not Covid related. People can argue that getting vaxxed isnt helping anything because those who are vaxxed are still getting infected and/or still transmitting it into the community. But they never developed the vaccines to completely stop the virus. They did so with the understanding it would keep people out of the hospital beds, and it's doing just that.

But with so many resistant to getting vaccinated its going to put a real strain on the healthcare systems. And nurses and doctors and workers are already beyond stressed given what they've had to endure of the last two years. I really feel for them, because its going to get worse again really quickly

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Seems like omicron--a more transmissible but less deadly variant--is a step in the right direction, when you look at the evolutionary cycle of a virus.

This is a great point that I've stressed to a lot of people that I know. We're getting closer to the end of this thing. The combination of immunity gained by exposure and vaccination, and for some both, is going to end this. Once we get closer to the spring, this wave will likely be the last one that causes any level of scare.

Not to this point, but to the point of others talking about fans being in the stands, but only the players being tested and that some fans might bring it in. Where are the players being in close contact with fans for sustained periods of time? They're already pretty isolated from fans. This isn't the NBA where you have people sitting courtside. There is tall glass between the players and fans. I do not see fans causing an issue with players catching COVID while playing. Maybe after a game, but not during the game.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Anyway the interesting part is how this affects the season. So far I'm not sure beyond the matter of fact reports of cancellations and ppl "in the COVID protocol".

Canada... refuses to disappoint and does what canada does. Maybe having an actual PM/party at helm instead of a numpty clumsily scoring woke echo chamber political points might have helped after all... Or maybe not.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is it as effective as my immune system?

Have you had Covid recently? If so, then your immune system will have generated the antibodies needed to fight off Covid. If not, the vaccine will trigger your immune system to create those antibodies. Neither is going to keep you safe from it indefinitely.

It's science, but it's not rocket science.

Reactions: Lua

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Any population undergoing mass compulsory testing is probably never again going to find results they're comfortable with. Seriously, never again. This is just a thing now.

Testing is not a method that makes sense anymore. The crisis has changed.

I hate to give Yzerman credit but he's right.

If the league wanted to do a break to do boosters, that at least makes some sense to me. Anything else is just kicking the can down the road.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is a great point that I've stressed to a lot of people that I know. We're getting closer to the end of this thing. The combination of immunity gained by exposure and vaccination, and for some both, is going to end this. Once we get closer to the spring, this wave will likely be the last one that causes any level of scare.

Not to this point, but to the point of others talking about fans being in the stands, but only the players being tested and that some fans might bring it in. Where are the players being in close contact with fans for sustained periods of time? They're already pretty isolated from fans. This isn't the NBA where you have people sitting courtside. There is tall glass between the players and fans. I do not see fans causing an issue with players catching COVID while playing. Maybe after a game, but not during the game.
The experts finally admitting it's airborne was necessary, but I get why they hesitated. "Airborne" causes panic because it sounds horrible and people don't understand what it means.

A lot of people I talk to think this virus has wings. Airborne means it can linger in a space after a sick individual has departed. It doesn't mean it's going to fly from the seats to the ice in a massive, well-ventilated building.

I can't even picture that without chuckling a bit.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This is a great point.

I think the league will try to get in as many games as they can, but they are gonna be forced here during the break to hold off on playing a lot of games. I doubt a lot of the postponed games will actually be played. Omicron is exploding. The case and infection rate charts are going straight up.

Sending players to Beijing is in serious jeopardy (At this point it is all but decided they wont imho). But the problem is they really won't be able to reschedule many games within that Olympic break because all of the rinks went out and booked other events, even though the league told them to wait (like they were ever going to do that given the economics of Covid).

Maybe the only way we will see some games rescheduled within that time frame is if they come up with an outdoor stadium series in 6 locations where every team can get to play 2-4 outdoor games. But given the logistics, expenses of setting up the rinks, ticket sales, etc. its doubtful they would be able to pull that off.

Its looking like we may be headed towards the worst part of the pandemic.
It’s going to be interesting to see how certain players who have already been very vocal about wanting to play in the Olympics (Ovechkin, etc.) react when the league pulls everyone out.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad