Post-Game Talk: 12/21/17 | Canucks 4 @ Sharks 5 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Kevin Labanc, 6th rounder in 2014 is on pace for 50 points. What is the worth of those depth picks again?

Pfffff, f*** if I know...

download.php

BENNING_TRADE.jpg

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not exactly sure that Markstrom was letting in softies last night. The Canucks were letting guys walk to the dots or below with absolutely no pressure. That’s just target practice for NHL shooters. And Thornton picked top corner. Once with a slap shot. Sure you want less than 5 given up but of the 5 goal games I’d say this is the least concerning one.

The Thronton goals were reminiscent of the ones Boeser has been getting on the PP. All the penalty killers on the one side and a wide open Thornton who is allowed to pick his spot. Meier is essentially a one timer down low. Hertl a 5-on-3 goal...Markstrom maybe should have been over quicker on it but it’s still a cross crease pass and two foot finish. The goal was again a one timer from the slot. They were all high quality scoring chances.

In the end it’s the same thing. The defense is brutal and will continue to let the team down (well except team tank. The defense isn’t letting them down). One night it’ll be 5-on-5 issues. The next PK issues. And some nights everything.

Not sure one point is frustrating to the tank. One point or less a game is pretty much ideal. They are too good for 65 points maybe but they aren’t any better than 80.

Reactions: mossey3535

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Virtanen - the best I've ever seen him. Not just the goals but the forecheck, the forcing off turnovers and even the puck management. You get an average defenseman lined up against him and he's in trouble. Virtanen can simply explode in term of exceleration . Maybe the best since Bure. If he can ever harness this talent he could be special. This would be especially so if he learns to come from the behind the play and hits open holes.

Now, if only we had a prospect in the system who can play centre, has elite hockey sense/vision/puck skills to take advantage of all the time and space that Virtanen is capable of creating for his line mates. Then all we would need to find is real finisher......

I know they're both right wingers, but the idea of Pettersson between Boeser and Virtanen is awfully intriguing, though it probably makes more sense to keep Boeser with Bo and spread the offense around.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I watched only the hilights of the game( went to see the last Jedi) but my go the positioning on our team defensively is pathetic. There was one goal where I though the sharks had a power play but counted our guys and it was 5v5.

Jake from the hilights looked good but he scored how he scored in junior power move with speed down the wing and cut to the net. It will probably work against teams 4-6 dmen but it won’t be a consistent source of goals but he played well.

Best part of the game is that now no one can complain about Gaunce having no NHL goals

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Benning built the team that fans wanted. Now we begin to see the lost value of Desjardins, Sutter, Dorsett, Sbisa, Miller, etc. Too late, unfortunately.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That's a Benning built defense for you. Tanev being out really lets us see his true vision for the defense taking shape.
Please. Blame Gillis for leaving Benning nothing to work with. He'll need at least five more years to sort out the mess he was left. He'll need those future five 1st round picks to keeping on dealing them for Gudbranson clones. One of these days, he'll hit a home run with that trade.

Not surprising that "Arizona top-5 d-core" can't evaluate defence.
heh, Canucks top-5 d-core isn't much better - that's working with a budget that has 14+ million more in cap space to work with.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Are you honestly pretending that it is the norm? Stretching it a bit.

It's not the norm, no. Neither was the point of the reply.

The issue being, depth picks have values that can be realized. They should not be thrown away like candy in exchange for one failed reclamation project after another.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Now that Benning has finally been able to restructure our scouting staff, I doubt he will be so eager to deal away later round picks. Truth is we have done very poorly in the 6th and 7th round thus far, not even producing AHL players which has hurt Utica. Hopefully Palmu indicates a step in the right direction. But expecting Labancs is ludicrous.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Who let Ryan Miller make another account, gotta respect his tenancity though

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Great compete level by the Canucks and it was nice to see them fight back.

I'm going to call out Travis Green here though - Virtanen deserved to play in that overtime. The kid's been stepping up lately and looked good last night. It's moments like these where you need to reward guys like Jake in my opinion. All in all though, nice to see the Canucks competing and giving it their all. Virtanen is also trending in the right direction.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
I cringe whenever the Sedins come over the boards in OT, but at least they came out second this time, after Granlund and Boeser. I believe they deserve that opportunity as leaders on this team, but this time, they just got stuck out there. Don't forget they had an amazing OT against the Sharks just a week ago.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Benning built the team that fans wanted. Now we begin to see the lost value of Desjardins, Sutter, Dorsett, Sbisa, Miller, etc. Too late, unfortunately.

Yeah, this team could realistically finish bottom 3. That's completely unprecedented in recent Canucks history. The stark difference between this team and the ones with the guys you mentioned on it is undeniable.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Great compete level by the Canucks and it was nice to see them fight back.

I'm going to call out Travis Green here though - Virtanen deserved to play in that overtime. The kid's been stepping up lately and looked good last night. It's moments like these where you need to reward guys like Jake in my opinion. All in all though, nice to see the Canucks competing and giving it their all. Virtanen is also trending in the right direction.
There were only two forward pairings before the goal in OT,....Granlund and Boeser,and then the Sedins (who got trapped out there on an extended shift).... Maybe Jake was on after the Sedins ..?...but we never got that far.

Last edited:

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Yeah, this team could realistically finish bottom 3. That's completely unprecedented in recent Canucks history. The stark difference between this team and the ones with the guys you mentioned on it is undeniable.
We get it. The Canucks are bad and it's all Jim Benning's fault. Here are your genius points.

My point in relation to the GDT was there were many fans last year complaining about how boring the Canucks were and how they'd rather lose 5-4, than 2-1. They complained that Miller was holding back Markstrom. Well, Benning clearly listened. But now fans are complaining about defensive structure and goaltending. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad