Post-Game Talk: 12/17/17 | Flames 6 @ Canucks 1 | All the killer bees now out

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
And you're telling me that wasn't warranted, did you ever track Pouliot before the trade? He was entering his draft + 6 seasons and was yet to crack a NHL roster and was passed on by numerous player in the Penguins system.

He had a good little stretch of games, but has been absolutely destroyed recently. In his past 6 games he has 0 points and is a whopping -10, if anyone needs to sit it's him.
Who hasn't been destroyed lately.?.especially when paired with Del Zotto....Hutton is getting turnstiled on a regular basis,and not doing anything offensively either...Pouliots ice time is increasing,and Huttons is decreasing..When Gudbranson comes back one of the 3rd pairing (Hutton or Stecher) will have a seat in the press box.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Who hasn't been destroyed lately.?.especially when paired with Del Zotto....Hutton is getting turnstiled on a regular basis,and not doing anything offensively either...Pouliots ice time is increasing,and Huttons is decreasing..When Gudbranson comes back one of the 3rd pairing (Hutton or Stecher) will have a seat in the press box.

Literally any defenseman right now could be sitting in the pressbox, I don't see it being limited to Hutton/Stecher. We all know Biega will be sent down when really, he shouldn't be. Only player who shows some compete.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

And as we are seeing increasing Pouliot's minutes is an awful decision. In his past 12 games he only has points in 1 of those games, and is a -9.

At least Hutton has shown he can be a quality NHL level defender in a large sample size, Pouliot had a good few games and now looks like the guy that a good organization in Pittsburgh turfed for essentially nothing.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
And as we are seeing increasing Pouliot's minutes is an awful decision. In his past 12 games he only has points in 1 of those games, and is a -9.

At least Hutton has shown he can be a quality NHL level defender in a large sample size, Pouliot had a good few games and now looks like the guy that a good organization in Pittsburgh turfed for essentially nothing.
When the game goes sideways,so does Pouliots play (he's a work in progress,if he was stronger defensively,he wouldn't have been available) ..On the whole though,his play has been steady,plus he's one of the only Canuck Dmen who has any idea of a clue in the offensive zone...Plus,he is a 'gifted' passer....He's not coming out of the lineup.

The Canuck coaching staff seem to like what he's doing..apparently.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Just because he's somewhat gifted offensively doesn't mean he hasn't been catostrophically bad recently, like worse than replacement level junk.

Patrick Wiercioch is sadly of the better offensive defenders on the team right now, and he hasn't sniffed any NHL action. When Kris Letang went down last year, Pittsburgh chose to keep Pouliot out of the lineup for a reasons we have seen why recently, guys has been junk, imagine if Pittsburgh deployed him in the finals against Nashville, we might have seen a repeat of the -5 game he had against them last week.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Completely irrelevant eh?
Somehow I get the feeling that you just want to be right and reality be damned.
Go ahead and come up with some current players with similar stats as Gaunce.
Derek Dorsett

0-2-2 -11 in 43 playoff games. When it was time to step he made Gaunce look like Gretzky.

Reactions: racerjoe

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Gaunce..

NHL Totals9516743
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

7 points in 95 GP...43 pim
Remeber when Jim traded for Prust. His two 4th liners that would help lead the 4th line in the playoffs had a combined 2 goals in 96 games and they weren't even good defensive players. Good times.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Derek Dorsett

0-2-2 -11 in 43 playoff games. When it was time to step he made Gaunce look like Gretzky.

Manny Malhotra 2 goals 0 assists in 35 games in playoffs. Not sure why we are posting about ex Canucks playoff stats but it is fun

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Just because he's somewhat gifted offensively doesn't mean he hasn't been catostrophically bad recently, like worse than replacement level junk.

Patrick Wiercioch is sadly of the better offensive defenders on the team right now, and he hasn't sniffed any NHL action. When Kris Letang went down last year, Pittsburgh chose to keep Pouliot out of the lineup for a reasons we have seen why recently, guys has been junk, imagine if Pittsburgh deployed him in the finals against Nashville, we might have seen a repeat of the -5 game he had against them last week.
In post #756 you're whining about the "bias" against Ben Hutton,and Pouliot getting a free pass...Everybody likes Hutton,and there is no bias towards him except that he has probably been the worst Dman for the Canucks in the last month..

Looking at your comments on Pouliot......Clearly your the one with the bias here.....A bit hypocritical don't you think.?

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
In post #756 you're whining about the "bias" against Ben Hutton,and Pouliot getting a free pass...Everybody likes Hutton,and there is no bias towards him except that he has probably been the worst Dman for the Canucks in the last month..

Looking at your comments on Pouliot......Clearly your the one with the bias here.....A bit hypocritical don't you think.?
How is me calling a player who in the past 6 games is -10 and has zero points replacement level junk bias? It's completely accurate. The fact that you can defend such poor play shows how you're willing to defend anything Jim Benning does. Pouliot has been junk recently, and should be in the press box for his awful non-NHL quality play. Clearly showing why he couldn't crack the NHL in 6 years despite being a top pick.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
When the game goes sideways,so does Pouliots play (he's a work in progress,if he was stronger defensively,he wouldn't have been available) ..On the whole though,his play has been steady,plus he's one of the only Canuck Dmen who has any idea of a clue in the offensive zone...Plus,he is a 'gifted' passer....He's not coming out of the lineup.

The Canuck coaching staff seem to like what he's doing..apparently.

Is this the same Canucks coaching staff that also likes what Gaunce is doing ... apparently?

Reactions: Peter10

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If Dorsetts career hadn't ended,and for all the injuries...I'm sure that Guance would be in Utica as we speak.

Is that why he played 57 games last year?

But I get it. Pouliot couldn’t make a competitive NHL roster either, which is why he’s here.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Is that why he played 57 games last year?

But I get it. Pouliot couldn’t make a competitive NHL roster either, which is why he’s here.
Thats not really saying a whole lot,Gaunce made Willie's team last year..and was in Utica to start this season...A bit of a different story when your vying to get on the roster a stacked SC squad.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Thats not really saying a whole lot,Gaunce made Willie's team last year..and was in Utica to start this season...A bit of a different story when your vying to get on the roster a stacked SC squad.

Sorry how’s it any different? Gaunce made the Canucks last year and this year. Pouliot made it this year. Yet you “suspect” Gaunce would be in the AHL if not for injuries. Do you have any evidence of that or is your hunch supposed to be a compelling close to this discussion?

As for Pouliot, he couldn’t crack the Penguins line up last year for more than a handful of games (11) even when they suffered significant injuries to their defense, including half a season to Letang and a third of a season to Trevor Daley and Olli Maata. SCF or not that’s as much an opportunity as any player is going to get and he didn’t even get as many games as the horrendous Brendan Gaunce.

But hey, we don’t need to argue. At the end of the day we can agree that if the Canucks “like” Pouliot as evidenced by the fact they play him then it’s also the case that they like Gaunce as evidenced by the fact that they play him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sorry how’s it any different? Gaunce made the Canucks last year and this year. Pouliot made it this year. Yet you “suspect” Gaunce would be in the AHL if not for injuries. Do you have any evidence of that or is your hunch supposed to be a compelling close to this discussion?

As for Pouliot, he couldn’t crack the Penguins line up last year for more than a handful of games (11) even when they suffered significant injuries to their defense, including half a season to Letang and a third of a season to Trevor Daley.
Did Gaunce make the opening night roster on merit.?.From what I recall,he was injured pre season,sent to Utica,and was called up through an injury..If I'm wrong,I'll stand corrected.....He looks like the same player he was last year..Jack of all trades,master of none.

When Justin Schultz was acquired by the Pens,that was pretty much the end of the line for Pouliot (plus he was not a favourite of Mike Sullivan)...A change of scenery has been known to make a difference for some players,believe it or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad