GDT: 12/17/13 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ New York Islanders

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Go have a peek at our main competition, the Leafs and Wings.

Fair point but the Wings won't stay injured forever. Zetterberg and Howard should be back in 2-3 weeks. We're trying to stay a hair above flat-lining offensively and while that might work, it's certainly not maximizing our odds.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Sarcasm is a great thing (I'm a big fan, ask anyone I know) but let's look at our goals scored recently. 30 actual goals for in the last 15 games is a problem (excluding the two shootout winners). Though he has been amazing, you can't expect Bishop to stand on his head every single game. We do have too many good F prospects and a lack of D in the system. Purcell has forgotten how to score, everyone else is hurt etc.

If we wait the 7-9 weeks it takes to get Stammer back, will we still be in the playoff race? The only way is if Bishop is out of his mind the whole time.

Are we winning games? It's not ALL Bishop this year guys. Our team defense is vastly improved and our recovery time is phenomenal. In years past we would make a mistake and a guy would get a wide open shot at the net, but this year when we make a mistake we almost always recover and get a stick in the lane or block the shot. Don't get me wrong, Bishop has been AMAZING, but it's not like he's being left all on his own like our goaltenders of the past few years.

We could always upgrade the D or the F core (there's not a team in the league that can say there is no way to upgrade the roster), but you can't blame Yzerman for not wanting to just start throwing all of our brand new depth around for short term solutions. His key is going to be to build via the draft and sign free agents that fit the team. That is the Detroit Red Wing model. They didn't make the playoffs 22 years in a row by panic trading off depth whenever they had an injury bug.

I would understand where you're coming from if we were losing several games in a row and just not showing any sort of effort or compete level, but we have points in 6 of our last 7 games. Would we be picking up these points, given these circumstances, last year? The correct answer is no. We would already be floundering near the bottom of the standings. Hell, we were near the bottom WITH Stamkos, now we are in the playoff race without him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Fair point but the Wings won't stay injured forever. Zetterberg and Howard should be back in 2-3 weeks. We're trying to stay a hair above flat-lining offensively and while that might work, it's certainly not maximizing our odds.

The Wings weren't great with Zetterberg in the lineup. Boston and Pittsburgh are the clear frontrunners in the conference, and after that, we match up pretty well, even banged up.

The reality is we have a 9 point cushion on a playoff spot with a game at hand (over Ottawa). So the sky isn't falling. And we can't properly assess our team right now because what we're seeing on the ice isn't our team. If there's a move available that makes us better for when Stamkos gets back, by all means we should make it. But we shouldn't be trying to patch up the holes we have right now because they're not real holes. They're temporary.

We're 5-3-2 in our last ten. Points in 6 of our last 7. It hasn't been pretty, but this group of AHLers has gotten the job done. We're gonna lose some games, but luckily, we can afford to.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Everyone *****ing about us not scoring goals...

We only have to score one more than the other team. As long as we keep doing that, I'm fine with it. When Stamkos went down the team had to close up and try to win 1-0, 2-1 rather than 5-3. We're doing that pretty well. It's not always pretty, but ugly wins count just as much as pretty ones.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
The Wings weren't great with Zetterberg in the lineup. Boston and Pittsburgh are the clear frontrunners in the conference, and after that, we match up pretty well, even banged up.

The reality is we have a 9 point cushion on a playoff spot with a game at hand (over Ottawa). So the sky isn't falling. And we can't properly assess our team right now because what we're seeing on the ice isn't our team. If there's a move available that makes us better for when Stamkos gets back, by all means we should make it. But we shouldn't be trying to patch up the holes we have right now because they're not real holes. They're temporary.

We're 5-3-2 in our last ten. Points in 6 of our last 7. It hasn't been pretty, but this group of AHLers has gotten the job done. We're gonna lose some games, but luckily, we can afford to.

You are one of my favorite posters on here man, you always have a very reasonable view point. Exactly what this man said.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
20-11-3

Only thing that counts.

What would any of us say last June if someone told you Tampa would have that record right now?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

We only have to score one more than the other team. As long as we keep doing that, I'm fine with it. When Stamkos went down the team had to close up and try to win 1-0, 2-1 rather than 5-3. We're doing that pretty well. It's not always pretty, but ugly wins count just as much as pretty ones.

I <3 you. This.

Ricebox

Feb 7, 2013
Norway - Florida
Keys for the rest of the season: early offense

coming back with 2 goals to tie it in 3 minutes wont keep happening every game, especially against tougher teams.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary

I have nothing to add.
so here is a gif showing how I feel

tumblr_mbyaohQmxM1rh5yb2o1_r2_500.gif

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I believe, missed first game in a couple years cause am in san diego working.

FLIPPER FOR PRESIDENT

Bishop in charge of boldly taking us where no man has gone before.

Kucherov clutching aint easy.

What a win. Looks pretty even by the stats. They blocked a ton of shots a TON meaning we really outplayed them even with the gripes.

Hedman please come back soon he is needed.

Kids doing ok you guys spoke about wayyyyyyy too many odd man rushes to me.

Gonna miss next game also so hope we can keep the train running.

Toronto seems to be in a little trouble.

Red wings are in a TON of trouble with the walking mash unit.

Very happy get me two more points before I return home:)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I believe, missed first game in a couple years cause am in san diego working.

FLIPPER FOR PRESIDENT

Bishop in charge of boldly taking us where no man has gone before.

Kucherov clutching aint easy.

What a win. Looks pretty even by the stats. They blocked a ton of shots a TON meaning we really outplayed them even with the gripes.

Hedman please come back soon he is needed.

Kids doing ok you guys spoke about wayyyyyyy too many odd man rushes to me.

Gonna miss next game also so hope we can keep the train running.

Toronto seems to be in a little trouble.

Red wings are in a TON of trouble with the walking mash unit.

Very happy get me two more points before I return home:)

This is why you can't trust stats to tell the story.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
20-11-3

Only thing that counts.

What would any of us say last June if someone told you Tampa would have that record right now?

This. Our record is phenominal, all things considered. I would have been happy if we had simply looked competent out there this year. I didnt think we would look like this for another year.

Has it been pretty? No. But it has been wins. We have a glaring offensive whole without Stamkos, but somehow we keep getting points. It shows how impressive our AHL Depth is, all things considered.

I agree that trading Purcell to keep building for the future might be good, as he seems to be completely out of it right now. Hopefully that changes quickly.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Bishop (god), Kucherov (19:32 TOI :yo:), Flipster (shoot more!)... I love those guys.

That's what happens when you drive the effin net. Takes a 20 year-old in his 11th game or something to show these guys how it's done.

So much this. We were discussing this during the game already but it took them till late in the 3rd to finally remember how they scored their goals against Detroit.

NHLeitner

Jan 2, 2013
Carolina
It sucks that Gudas will get no love for the Calder. 2nd in hits for defensemen despite playing 5 fewer games than the leader, and the leader in hits among rookies by a huge margin, not to mention playing 22-24 minutes per night lately.

If Seth Jones gets nominated over him, I hope Gudas shows up at the awards and stares down the presenter.

Same with Hampus Lindholm. Hard to get impressed by a guy playing 17-18 minutes a night when Gudas is holding down 23 regularly on a second pairing.

Unfortunately, the defensemen who get Calder trophy nominations aren't ones that finish with 200 hits, 200 PIMs, and only 20 points.

Which is a real shame, because his highlight package would be dynamite.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
I am curious if a poll was made as to the reason of Tampas success so far would the HF community say Bishop should be a candidate for Vezina or Cooper for Adams?

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I am curious if a poll was made as to the reason of Tampas success so far would the HF community say Bishop should be a candidate for Vezina or Cooper for Adams?

For me it's:

1) Bishop for Vezina
2) All the organizational depth
3) Cooper

Its hard not to imagine what the last two years would have been like if we had a goalie at Bishop's caliber. We may have won a lot more games, given how well we scored. I dont know how much of this is Cooper, and how much of it is just timing and depth.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I honestly think Bishop is a Hart candidate, and should maybe be the frontrunner.

I checked ESPN last night: In his 18 wins, ESPN named Bishop our top performer 13 times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad