STREAMS:
1: nutjob.eu - 2: lag10.com

mlkf.png

1z8k.png

t5t8.png

Last edited:

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
We often struggle against the Isles, hopefully we can dominate them in the Jon Cooper era.

If Kooch doesn't get PP time I am going to write Coop a very angry letter.

4-0 Lightning. Marty, Johnson, Kooch and Gudas

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They really need to find a way to break up that second line. Purcell and Flip are like the bad side of two magnets.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
While I agree, what are our options?

The only real option is switching Brown with Purcell. It's not ideal, and leaves Flip without a truly gifted offensive winger, but the alternative is Killorn/Flip/Purcell. Flip and Killorn are fine, but Teddy and Flip are water and oil.

So I would prefer:

Killorn/Flip/Brown
Kucherov/Thompson/Purcell (<-- I actually think this line would do damage. Has all the ingredients, chemistry-wise)

But again, it's not ideal. I would love to see Flip with a real shooter to work with. Kucherov could fill that role, but it would leave our third line without much punch.

I'm losing faith in Purcell. He has a lot of tools and an unwillingness to use them. But because he's basically a perimeter player, he actually seems to mesh very well with Kucherov, who likes to dart into dangerous areas.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
It would be swell if the Lightning were to score more goals than they allow the Islanders to score against them in the contest of hockey taking place this eve.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
So I would prefer:

Killorn/Flip/Brown
Kucherov/Thompson/Purcell (<-- I actually think this line would do damage. Has all the ingredients, chemistry-wise)

I think at this point, we don't have much to lose by juggling things up. I'm loving Thompson's play lately and maybe he can get Teddy some passes.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
The only real option is switching Brown with Purcell. It's not ideal, and leaves Flip without a truly gifted offensive winger, but the alternative is Killorn/Flip/Purcell. Flip and Killorn are fine, but Teddy and Flip are water and oil.

So I would prefer:

Killorn/Flip/Brown

But again, it's not ideal. I would love to see Flip with a real shooter to work with. Kucherov could fill that role, but it would leave our third line without much punch.

I'm losing faith in Purcell. He has a lot of tools and an unwillingness to use them. But because he's basically a perimeter player, he actually seems to mesh very well with Kucherov, who likes to dart into dangerous areas.

Someone (it might have been you) made a very good point that when Purcell gets the puck, he doesn't go into the danger areas, he skates right to the perimeter and looks for a pass. It's something I'd always noticed, but never REALLY noticed until someone said something.

Teddy needs to get his ass in gear.

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
Totally winnable game. I will be very disappointed if we manage to give this game away. These kids don't really know that we suck at Nassau Coliseum.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Someone (it might have been you) made a very good point that when Purcell gets the puck, he doesn't go into the danger areas, he skates right to the perimeter and looks for a pass. It's something I'd always noticed, but never REALLY noticed until someone said something.

Teddy needs to get his ass in gear.

Yeah, that was probably me. It's basically because I hear a lot of people saying Teddy is an elite puck-handler and I just don't see it. That's not to say he's not a good puck-handler, but what he mainly does is skate the puck out of trouble rather than into an area where he can score.

But there are spots where a guy like that can be useful. Along the wall on the powerplay, for one, although, in my opinion, that doesn't make him a good PP partner for Marty, who's better at getting the puck out of trouble.

But if you compare what Purcell does with the puck to what Kucherov does with the puck, I think the difference is obvious. Kucherov challenges the opposing team and drives to the net. Which is why I think he and Purcell work well together, and why I think Purcell was pretty good with Johnson.

Also, I think we sometimes underestimate what non-offensive guys can bring to the table on scoring lines. Not all three guys on every line need to be a scoring threat. Sometimes it's better to have that one guy who's main asset is digging pucks out of the corner and scrapping in front of the net. I'm thinking Nate Thompson here.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Coop's pregame comments about the powerplay weren't encouraging in terms of seeing Kucherov on it any time soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad