GDT: 12/16/23 - 10:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Calgary

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Coop ain’t gonna get fired during or after this season. Too much recent success + cap hell. I think the earliest would be after next season. No way he gets axed midseason.

I'm not absolving the other players but aside from the other night, Vasy has been objectively mediocre to bad. Too many of the goals are long range muffins having nothing to do with the shit defense in front of him.

As for Cooper, there were more than a few posts about the supposed riot act that Cooper read them between periods. Not to mention Engblom's fawning.

lol I mentioned the riot act and that was mostly in jest.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Vasi was a couple minutes and a stupid stickhandle away from having consecutive shutouts, so he wasn't only good just against the Oilers. But yes too many softies overall

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Can you elaborate further?
I found an article that goes into it deeper but its behind a pay wall.

Long story short, the idea is to let the opposing team posses the puck along the outside.
Theoretically letting the opponent cycle on the outside should limit scoring chances.

Problem comes when teams attack the open space and everyone on defense is left reacting.

The flames 3rd goal was a perfect example of that. Cirelli is in is "zone" and the flames player is allowed to walk in and tee it up.

I'll try to find a better more detailed explanation.

Reactions: Hoek

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
fmd, i stopped watching that period -- sorry. Stupid stats assignment.

BUT look im back now, we should get 5 goals this period.

Reactions: Master P

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Coop ain’t gonna get fired during or after this season. Too much recent success + cap hell. I think the earliest would be after next season. No way he gets axed midseason.
Well, then I guess we get to watch this shit show for another 4 plus months. But no more than that.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

I think we're asking for Blashill to be let go. Its his defensive structure that isn't working.

Talk to det fans, they will say the exact same thing.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I think we're asking for Blashill to be let go. Its his defensive structure that isn't working.

Talk to det fans, they will say the exact same thing.

Don’t disagree there. I just don’t see a scenario happening where Coop is the fall guy anytime soon.

Do we even block shots anymore? Feel like that’s something that isn’t mentioned? Where do we rank in team blocked shots?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Don’t disagree there. I just don’t see a scenario happening where Coop is the fall guy anytime soon.

Do we even block shots anymore? Feel like that’s something that isn’t mentioned? Where do we rank in team blocked shots?
Again, I think the lack of blocked shots is part of the defensive structure.

I hate to sound like a broken record but just keep your eye on Cirelli and Hagel here @ 1:35

We all know Cirelli can play defense. The issue is that he's not playing man.

Its fairly obvious that the players are being told to stay in their "zones".

The more I watch it you can even see Hagel attack the flame in the corner but then retreat back to his zone which leaves that flames player all alone.

Reactions: Hoek

BoltsFanSinceDay1

Apr 27, 2019
I found an article that goes into it deeper but its behind a pay wall.

Long story short, the idea is to let the opposing team posses the puck along the outside.
Theoretically letting the opponent cycle on the outside should limit scoring chances.

Problem comes when teams attack the open space and everyone on defense is left reacting.

The flames 3rd goal was a perfect example of that. Cirelli is in is "zone" and the flames player is allowed to walk in and tee it up.

I'll try to find a better more detailed explanation.
Thanks, that would be great. Because as it is, this "scheme" seems to go against our players' instincts. Doesn't seem to match the players we actually have. Very frustrating.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
By Coop's own admission, there wasn't even a great speech or anything like that, and his message wasn't even about winning the game, but just getting to OT.
Agreed. There will be smaller dominos to fall before it gets to Coop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad