12'/13' Draft Thread: Offensive flash is a beauty but defensive presence rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Not sure if this scenario has been bantered around but lets say the Leafs are out of the playoff picture and are selling off assets at the deadline.

Trade:
Clarke Macarthur for a late 1st (Yes, he'll get one if the market is good)

Draft:
Zach Fucale - G - Halifax Mooseheads

He's 6ft1 and change, and should grow to above 6'2 once he's NHL ready, he's also added close to 15lbs this past year and is in the 180lb-185lb range.

Despite gaining some meat on his body, he's still a quick goaltender in terms of lateral speed. He's very relaxed in the net and lets the play develop and reads it well.

He's a butterfly tendy with good rebound control, a good glove and plays the angles well.

Someone will take him with a late 1st round pick.

Other notable goalie prospects: All of these could be had in the 2nd round or later
Eric Comrie - WHL
Tristan Jerry - WHL
Spencer Martin - OHL

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Thanks chuck.

I hope we take at least two goalies in this years draft. Keep stacking those goalie prospects, and one is bound to workout.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not sure if this scenario has been bantered around but lets say the Leafs are out of the playoff picture and are selling off assets at the deadline.

Trade:

Draft:

He's 6ft1 and change, and should grow to above 6'2 once he's NHL ready, he's also added close to 15lbs this past year and is in the 180lb-185lb range.

Despite gaining some meat on his body, he's still a quick goaltender in terms of lateral speed. He's very relaxed in the net and lets the play develop and reads it well.

He's a butterfly tendy with good rebound control, a good glove and plays the angles well.

Other notable goalie prospects: All of these could be had in the 2nd round or later
Eric Comrie - WHL
Tristan Jerry - WHL
Spencer Martin - OHL

MacArthur being dealt, likely would be to a contender, and the pick as you point out would be late. I think the top goalie prospect is going in the top 15.

I'd be okay if the Leafs drafted one between 10-15 with their own pick if Nichushkin is gone.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
MacArthur being dealt, likely would be to a contender, and the pick as you point out would be late. I think the top goalie prospect is going in the top 15.

I'd be okay if the Leafs drafted one between 10-15 with their own pick if Nichushkin is gone.

I personally think Fucale will slide past 15.

This team has more needs and options in the 10-15 range than taking the top rated goalie prospect, Fucale.

The jury is still out on what Fucale is, meaning at this point he's not a clear-cut number one goaltender, which to me means we should spend our own pick elsewhere.

But if we can acquire a later pick and Fucale is there, then I'd acquire him just on the fact that he does have the tools to become a very good goalie.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I personally think Fucale will slide past 15.

This team has more needs and options in the 10-15 range than taking the top rated goalie prospect, Fucale.

The jury is still out on what Fucale is, meaning at this point he's not a clear-cut number one goaltender, which to me means we should spend our own pick elsewhere.

But if we can acquire a later pick and Fucale is there, then I'd acquire him just on the fact that he does have the tools to become a very good goalie.

Well I agree if the Leafs are free falling at the deadline, move as many assets as possible and if they have multiple picks definitely grab a goalie prospect. Gibson was highly rated when the Leafs were grabbing Percy. Now I would have went with a highly skilled forward over Percy and Gibson, but it looks like Anaheim lucked out, taking him with their 2nd. pick.

Two goalies taken in the first round, one at 19 this year could be a blip, or maybe a reluctant acceptance that sometimes you have to address the need. BPA is subjective anyway when projecting 3-5 years into the future.

World Juniors this year highlighted the last two drafts in net.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
CHL prospects game tonight and we can get a closer look at some of the Players available for the Draft, I'm not sure where thye Leafs will be picking but there are a few players, I would like to get a peek at.

7:00pm-10:00pm Sportsnet Ontario CHL: Top Prospects

Team Orr vs. Team Cherry

Rosters and Profiles

http://www.homehardwaretopprospects.ca/roster/listBlocks

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
CHL prospects game tonight and we can get a closer look at some of the Players available for the Draft, I'm not sure where thye Leafs will be picking but there are a few players, I would like to get a peek at.

7:00pm-10:00pm Sportsnet Ontario CHL: Top Prospects

Team Orr vs. Team Cherry

Rosters and Profiles

http://www.homehardwaretopprospects.ca/roster/listBlocks

Tonight, my focus will be on the following prospects, mostly outside of the top 10:

Team Cherry:
1. Frederik Gauthier
2. Anthony Mantha
3. Nathan MacKinnon
4. Darnell Nurse
5. Samuel Morin
6. Mirco Mueller
7. Zach Fucale
8. Tristan Jerry

Team Orr:
1. Oliver Bjorkstrand
2. Anthony Duclair
3. Adam Erne
4. Curtis Lazar
5. Sean Monahan
6. Kerby Rychel (I see him once or twice a week, but it'll be good to see him here)
7. Seth Jones
8. Nikita Zadorov
9. Spencer Martin
10. Phillipe Desrosiers

I'll probably not post during the game, and just take notes from what I can gather. I LOVED when it was at the WFCU in 2010, because we got to take our minor team that we coached to the game, and they loved it. Great event to attend.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Tonight, my focus will be on the following prospects, mostly outside of the top 10:

Team Cherry:
1. Frederik Gauthier
2. Anthony Mantha
3. Nathan MacKinnon
4. Darnell Nurse
5. Samuel Morin
6. Mirco Mueller
7. Zach Fucale
8. Tristan Jerry

Team Orr:
1. Oliver Bjorkstrand
2. Anthony Duclair
3. Adam Erne
4. Curtis Lazar
5. Sean Monahan
6. Kerby Rychel (I see him once or twice a week, but it'll be good to see him here)
7. Seth Jones
8. Nikita Zadorov
9. Spencer Martin
10. Phillipe Desrosiers

I'll probably not post during the game, and just take notes from what I can gather. I LOVED when it was at the WFCU in 2010, because we got to take our minor team that we coached to the game, and they loved it. Great event to attend.
Thoughts on Rychel since you see him so much? Pretty intriguing prospect for me.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Thoughts on Rychel since you see him so much? Pretty intriguing prospect for me.

He's a power forward with pretty solid scoring touch, and despite only being 185-190lbs, he's really strong on his skates. He has great hockey sense, and is a nightmare in the goal mouth, where he does his best work.

He's absolutely not afraid to muck in up in the corners, and will probably develop into a player that causes headaches for the opposition, as he's a bit of a chirpy fellow. He has a good shot, and he'll drive the goal with the puck without hesitation.

I see Rychel as a solid 2nd line wing/center prospect. I didn't like the entitlement that he was often noted for when he came to Windsor, but he's really developed into a leader both on and off the ice.

He's really improved since coming into the OHL, and doesn't look like he's about to slow down. He's a guy that I would love to pick in the middle of the 1st, from the mid-teens to the early 20's.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Not only Macarthur, plan on a few guys moving for picks unlike last year.

I can't be the only guy to think that this Leaf team will do better than expected...

That said MacArthur should have been traded last trade deadline. I agree with not trading Grabo (I know you don't but that's another issue altogether), but MacArthur was the perfect opportunity to sell high on. I imagine it was a team with an extra pick or one needing a winger. Pittsburgh or Washington maybe? Maybe Florida? So we would have had an opportunity to get Subban, Maata, Hertl.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Players on my watch list are:

Justin Bailey ( I have had this kid targetted since Sept, suddenly has 11 goals off a slow start, progressing)

Seth Jones (Best player in the draft thus far this year)

Drouin (looking fwd to seeing his creativity in this format)

Sean Monahan (finally playing with decent players)

Nurse (want to see if he has the IQ to play at a high level against skilled players)

Rychel

Domi

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can't be the only guy to think that this Leaf team will do better than expected...

That said MacArthur should have been traded last trade deadline. I agree with not trading Grabo (I know you don't but that's another issue altogether), but MacArthur was the perfect opportunity to sell high on. I imagine it was a team with an extra pick or one needing a winger. Pittsburgh or Washington maybe? Maybe Florida? So we would have had an opportunity to get Subban, Maata, Hertl.

I like Macarthur, but our team to move fwd needs to get Ashton, Biggs, Frattin, into the line up. Mac was part of that super team at the Worlds, think he would make an ideal 3rd line winger on a contender.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I like Macarthur, but our team to move fwd needs to get Ashton, Biggs, Frattin, into the line up. Mac was part of that super team at the Worlds, think he would make an ideal 3rd line winger on a contender.

He serves a purpose here, at least until the deadline, when his value can (hopefully) be maximized by his play.

He's a 50pt winger that can play 2nd or 3rd line minutes for this club.

Other than that, I agree.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
He serves a purpose here, at least until the deadline, when his value can (hopefully) be maximized by his play.

He's a 50pt winger that can play 2nd or 3rd line minutes for this club.

Other than that, I agree.

He could help give us some third line scoring. Might give us an interesting three scoring line format to role with.

Build a line around Kessel/Lupul, second line around Grabovski/Kulemin, third line around MacArthur/JVR and place Kadri/Bozak/Frattin where they fit. Role with Mclement on the fourth line (really starting to feel the absolute uselessness of all those depth players we have...)

Give us some nice secondary scoring that would stop Kessel/Lupul from being our entire offense. And likely leads to finishing with a pick in the 13th to 22nd spot...(keeping it draft focused lol).

Badger Mayhew*

Players on my watch list are:

Justin Bailey ( I have had this kid targetted since Sept, suddenly has 11 goals off a slow start, progressing)

Seth Jones (Best player in the draft thus far this year)

Drouin (looking fwd to seeing his creativity in this format)

Sean Monahan (finally playing with decent players)

Nurse (want to see if he has the IQ to play at a high level against skilled players)

Rychel

Domi

MacKinnon?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Trade:

Draft:

Eric Comrie - WHL
Tristan Jerry - WHL
Spencer Martin - OHL

I really like Eric Comrie from the WHL.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
imo you should use a late pick on a goalie every year, as there seems to be more elite goalies picked in the later rounds then players. espicially now that you don't have to sign a Euro goalie for 4 years if I heard right about the new CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad