12'/13' Draft Thread: Offensive flash is a beauty but defensive presence rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Yep, and imagine a Sundin-Kessel combo :naughty:

Can only hope he turns into that kind of an impact player. I doubt he'll be as clutch as Mats though.

In that case I am sold on Barkov :)

From what I've seen the games I stayed up to watch, he's actually very solid. Yea he won't be captain clutch unless he proves otherwise, but he is the quiet guy who will get the job done and to be honest those are my favourites.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
The clutch factor comes with experience, even the great Sundin wasn't known as Captain Clutch til around his late 20s (I think). After getting used to Sundin over the years, I really want a hulking #1 center to replace him.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
The clutch factor comes with experience, even the great Sundin wasn't known as Captain Clutch til around his late 20s (I think). After getting used to Sundin over the years, I really want a hulking #1 center to replace him.

Only knock on him so far as I've seen is his skating however he's gotten better from last year from what i've heard.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Its too bad that Barkov is sitting out today's game for the Fins against Canada.

I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Not that I think Barkov won't be a good player, But I think were going on about the wrong Scandinavian center around here.

Just my thoughts.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
On paper, N. Backstrom seems like the perfect comparable to Lindholm. Same team. Similar stats. Late birthday, so one of the older players in their draft.

I believe Backstrom was smaller when drafted as well, no?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Not that I think Barkov won't be a good player, But I think were going on about the wrong Scandinavian center around here.

Just my thoughts.

Well it really depends tbh. I really like lindholm and was just in awe at some of his plays but i think the man child and with his quiet and effective game would be a much needed fresh air in the center spot since sundin days. I also think he has a lot more to offer if he can touch that potential, he seems like a guy who is overflowing with hockey sense and intelligence too much infact that if he puts it together he can be one of the best player if not the best player in this draft. Sort of Kopitar-esque but better?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
On paper, N. Backstrom seems like the perfect comparable to Lindholm. Same team. Similar stats. Late birthday, so one of the older players in their draft.

I believe Backstrom was smaller when drafted as well, no?

More flash and more panache to him than backstrom but yea that's the comparison if not foppa-esque.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
How can you possibly say he isn't clutch? thus far he hasn't had a chance to prove otherwise. Ridiculous comment

Sundin is essentially the most clutch player in Leaf history (maybe NHL history, see OT winners). Its a huge part of who Mats is and what kind of player he is. That's why Sundin is such an unfair comparison for draft eligible prospects. Like the Kopitar one for Barkov.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
i think i would be happy with any of the top centers in the draft. **** we need one so badly.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I'd be quite content picking anywhere in the top 10 with Nurse, Shinkaruk, Nichushkin, Jones or Pulock available as well; though a center would be preferred.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Must. Be. A. Center.

I hate the idea of picking for position and if we did some how end up with the 2nd pick and Jones for example is there you take him. Also we don't know what could happen via trade or free agency.

But..

Looking around at our division rivals and seeing what we could be up against when you look down the middle we could be up against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad