GDT: 12/10/13 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Washington

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The Good: The 18-9-26 line was absolutely flying out there. Also, Kucherov. Nice snipe in regulation and what a SO goal! Killer almost scored a goal too and Palat hit the post late in the 3rd. 5 goals, 42 SOG and 2/5 on the PP - I love it.

The Bad: Bishop had a bad night. It happens. D coverage was awful, PK was 2/5 - not good enough, especially against Ovechkin and the Caps. Oh and we got absolutely manhandled in the faceoff circle (win rate: 37.93%).

The Ugly: Panik. That play gets called every single time. Just stupid and unnecessary. I don't even think the major penalty was uncalled-for. That's a play that doesn't belong in the game IMO. Alzner should be happy that he was able get his hands between himself and the boards in time or his head would've smashed even harder against the boards (check 0:25 of the video below). As for Panik: 5:29 TOI says it all. With Pyatt and Labrie closing in on a return and Tyrell having to clear waivers Panik is the obvious choice to be sent back to Syracuse.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
^^there are no reentry waivers anymore so Tyrell would not be subject to them if we decide to send him back. Labrie is useless out there and hasn't even fought much in the games he's played. Pyatt will be back but I'm sure will be very cautious with his play. We need someone who can forecheck hard, hit and chip in on occasion. I'd rather have Panik then any of them right now, he's risky to put out every shift but when he finally gets his offense going he's more then worth it. I feel Brown should go down when Pyatt comes back rather then Panik. Brown would be better served getting top line minutes in the A. If you demote Panik it can have a negative affect on him worse then what happened with Connolly.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
^^there are no reentry waivers anymore so Tyrell would not be subject to them if we decide to send him back. Labrie is useless out there and hasn't even fought much in the games he's played. Pyatt will be back but I'm sure will be very cautious with his play. We need someone who can forecheck hard, hit and chip in on occasion. I'd rather have Panik then any of them right now, he's risky to put out every shift but when he finally gets his offense going he's more then worth it. I feel Brown should go down when Pyatt comes back rather then Panik. Brown would be better served getting top line minutes in the A. If you demote Panik it can have a negative affect on him worse then what happened with Connolly.

I'm glad you aren't in charge of lightning operations.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Brown has shown time and time again he deserves to be in the NHL. What's more, he helps the team. If he loses his spot, I sure hope it's because someone wins it from him.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
he's risky to put out every shift but when he finally gets his offense going he's more then worth it.

Yeah, we'll agree to disagree here. His poor decisions have arguably cost us two games now. There were certainly other factors last night, but during his penalty we went from 4-2 to 4-4. Risky is a term I'd prefer not to associate with one of our players.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
His production based on time on ice is pretty good, he hasn't even got his offense on track yet. If he remains up and gets hot he would provide great secondary scoring. He's trying to hard to make plays and instead is making dumb ones. His hockey IQ isn't the best, he had some issues with bad penalties in the A but his scoring made up for it but he's not scoring right now. He's not the only player to ever take a penalty on our team, but it seems like whenever he gets a penalty we fail to kill it off so it becomes worse.

I like Brown and think he's a good energy player but he's not chipping in much, granted he isn't getting many minutes or put in a scoring role. Connolly wasn't producing, his role was reduced and everyone wanted him demoted but Brown gets a pass? We have Tyrell and Pyatt soon who can provide what Brown is right now while Brown can improve his offense in the A. It's also the same with Taormina and Barberio, the coaching staff is cutting their minutes which is making them virtually useless out there and playing Brewer way too much. I know we're banged up but we need to send down players who are waiver exempt if we are gonna play them less then 10 minutes.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Marty was pissed. And Coop was dead on with Panik. He's a ****ing liability right now.

Bish didn't have his best game, but at the same time, can you blame him for any of Ovi's goals except MAYBE the last one? You just can't leave Ovechkin open. If Stamkos was blasting those shots, we wouldn't be dogging the goaltender for letting them in, and Ovi's shot is if not as good, nearly as good as Stammer's.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
DC basically asked if Marty would like to see some inexperienced people go back down to the A to get more experience... Marty says, "Well Damian, everyone has their Christmas list, right?..."

I'd be pisssed, too. Dude has been carrying the team on his back since Stammer got injured and he's being asked to do it with a roster of 13 rookies. (I think it's 13) It's like he's running a training camp by himself...

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
Marty is playing a lot better these last few games, going to the slot and being quick on the powerplay, which are good signs for the team. Purcell is getting his shot off quicker, he's hit a few posts lately and had a nice shootout goal, so he's close. Johnson and Palat's confidences seem to be growing.

Panik reminds me of someone who has really low self esteem, who keeps shooting himself in the foot to prevent success, because he feels he doesn't deserve it. Get the kid a good sports psychologist to pump up his self esteem. Purcell and maybe Killorn would benefit from going also, I think. Hell, have someone come in and talk to the whole team for a day or two.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Damn. I've never seen Marty so upset. DC basically asked if Marty would like to see some inexperienced people go back down to the A to get more experience... Marty says, "Well Damian, everyone has their Christmas list, right?..."

I don't think the question was "send people back down to the A" as much as "it's probably tough with all the roster turnover and all these new guys being thrown right into the fire".

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I think you're putting more of a negative spin on the question and answer than is actually there.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I don't think the question was "send people back down to the A" as much as "it's probably tough with all the roster turnover and all these new guys being thrown right into the fire".

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I think you're putting more of a negative spin on the question and answer than is actually there.

I think you might be right. Still though. He was pretty pissed.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't understand how some people on here are giving Bishop a mulligan for last night. He was plain and simple not very good. Sure Ovie scored 4 of the goals and he's the best scorer going right now but he needs to make a couple of those saves. The shootout was terrible for him too. If Lindback would've played last night he would be crucified as being a bum. His worst game (Pittsburgh) was very similar to this. Both gave up 5, 4 for Ovie and 3 for Crosby, both a last minute goal, we lost the Pitt game but got a point last night. Lindback was bashed so hard for that game but I see no such thing to Bishop. Hopefully Cooper gives Lindback the start against Detroit he's deserved it with his play lately and Bishop hasn't.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Damn. I've never seen Marty so upset. DC basically asked if Marty would like to see some inexperienced people go back down to the A to get more experience... Marty says, "Well Damian, everyone has their Christmas list, right?..."

Never seen Marty that upset before. He seemed to be a inch from crying or punching someone.

I can't blame the guy. Especially how this year started out, and how quickly this team has fallen apart from all of the injuries. This isn't what he was looking for this year. No one can control injuries, but I understand that he is getting close to being retired and he wants to make the most of these last years.

That is the first time that I've thought "Marty might ask to be traded" in a long time. If Stammer's (and others) injury takes longer to heal than expected, I wonder if the Captain asked out of the Rookie training camp that our team has become... I couldn't blame him for it either.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don't understand how some people on here are giving Bishop a mulligan for last night. He was plain and simple not very good. Sure Ovie scored 4 of the goals and he's the best scorer going right now but he needs to make a couple of those saves. The shootout was terrible for him too. If Lindback would've played last night he would be crucified as being a bum. His worst game (Pittsburgh) was very similar to this. Both gave up 5, 4 for Ovie and 3 for Crosby, both a last minute goal, we lost the Pitt game but got a point last night. Lindback was bashed so hard for that game but I see no such thing to Bishop. Hopefully Cooper gives Lindback the start against Detroit he's deserved it with his play lately and Bishop hasn't.

God damn you're ****ing dense. If you don't understand why we give the guy who had a .934 save percentage going into the night a mulligan for a bad game over the guy who has a save percentage under .900, you're just dense.

I get that you enjoy trolling and taking up for ****** players. It's your schtick, and I get it. It's just a stupid ****ing schtick.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
If Lindback would've played last night he would be crucified as being a bum. His worst game (Pittsburgh) was very similar to this. Both gave up 5, 4 for Ovie and 3 for Crosby, both a last minute goal, we lost the Pitt game but got a point last night. Lindback was bashed so hard for that game but I see no such thing to Bishop.

Actually for the Pitt game in question, most people were blaming Panik's dumb penalty for losing the game. Dude was in tears on the bench when Pitt scored. Even he blamed himself. I don't remember anyone saying much other than acknowledging Lindback missed some key saves, just like you see here that people know Bishop didn't have a great night last night.

FWIW, I was surprised Lindback didn't get the start last night after his solid performance against the Jets. Take it up with Coop.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
God damn you're ****ing dense. If you don't understand why we give the guy who had a .934 save percentage going into the night a mulligan for a bad game over the guy who has a save percentage under .900, you're just dense.

I get that you enjoy trolling and taking up for ****** players. It's your schtick, and I get it. It's just a stupid ****ing schtick.

Dude, he's a contrarian, plain and simple. He will never agree with popular opinion or common sense, doesn't matter how right or wrong he knows he is.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Man...we are 17-10-3 after being the 3rd worst team last season, and our franchise center is out with a broken leg. Let's get a grip guys. Did you hear Blackhawks fans harnessing the doom and gloom after Bishop stole a 6-5 OT winner for us?

Marty isn't going to ask for a trade. Bishop is allowed a mulligan. Pyatt will not come back playing cautious/scared.

We are 1 point out of the 3rd spot in our division with 2 games in hand. We're not the Sabres. It's a tough loss, but not worthy of some of the comments I've read. We'll move onto the next game, with Cooper setting things straight and holding the mistake-makers accountable.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Actually for the Pitt game in question, most people were blaming Panik's dumb penalty for losing the game. Dude was in tears on the bench when Pitt scored. Even he blamed himself. I don't remember anyone saying much other than acknowledging Lindback missed some key saves, just like you see here that people know Bishop didn't have a great night last night.

FWIW, I was surprised Lindback didn't get the start last night after his solid performance against the Jets. Take it up with Coop.

Why would Lindback get another start because of one solid game when Bishop had a sub-1.00 GAA his last 5 or so games. He was playing great, but Lindback had a pretty decent game so **** Bish, let's start Lindy for the rest of the year. I just don't understand everybody's logic on here. Seriously, ******* people just can't ****ing be happy.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Man...we are 17-10-3 after being the 3rd worst team last season, and our franchise center is out with a broken leg. Let's get a grip guys. Did you hear Blackhawks fans harnessing the doom and gloom after Bishop stole a 6-5 OT winner for us?

Marty isn't going to ask for a trade. Bishop is allowed a mulligan. Pyatt will not come back playing cautious/scared.

We are 1 point out of the 3rd spot in our division with 2 games in hand. We're not the Sabres. It's a tough loss, but not worthy of some of the comments I've read. We'll move onto the next game, with Cooper setting things straight and holding the mistake-makers accountable.

Thank you! A reasonable person with some common sense finally shows up. Bad loss but EVERY team has those. Not an exaggeration, every...single...team has bad losses.

After all the good Bishop has done this year, he is absolutely allowed to have a mulligan. If it turns into a pattern it's a different story, but one game and everyone is willing to jump ship and start Lindback for the rest of the year. Every time we have a game like this and I see the reactions it reminds me that Bolts fans just aren't happy being happy. Relax people. We are still in a playoff spot and competing with pretty much every team we play despite a top 3 player in the world missing from our lineup, missing our #1 defenseman, and playing with double digits of rookies.

But seriously, enough of all the doom and gloom ladies and gents. We will be fine, we've held a playoff spot even though we've been hit with the organizational injury bug of the millennium. I don't know what else I can throw out there that hasn't already been said, but stop and think people.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I thought the Phoenix game was his mulligan or maybe the LA, you can keep giving him the benefit of the doubt after every bad game but I won't. Do I think he's played great and shr be our starter, yes. Doesn't mean I can't criticize him for a bad game which he clearly had. Since the Pittsburgh game it's been hard to criticize Lindback because he has improved every game, just cause his save % can't match Bishops doesn't mean he's the only we're allowed to bash.

At least I have a schtick, I'm sorry I don't follow the masses and just agree with everyone else. What would the point of a discussion be if its all the same rosy crap from everyone?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why would Lindback get another start because of one solid game when Bishop had a sub-1.00 GAA his last 5 or so games. He was playing great, but Lindback had a pretty decent game so **** Bish, let's start Lindy for the rest of the year. I just don't understand everybody's logic on here. Seriously, ******* people just can't ****ing be happy.

By that logic why would we give Bishop the start after he has a bad game? We should just say **** Lindback lets start Bishop the rest of the year. I like competition and think it should be fair, I haven't felt Lindback got a fair chance this year. He has a bad game sits for 5, he has a good game sits for 5, how can he get any momentum or confidence that way?

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Why would Lindback get another start because of one solid game when Bishop had a sub-1.00 GAA his last 5 or so games. He was playing great, but Lindback had a pretty decent game so **** Bish, let's start Lindy for the rest of the year.

Not what I said. At all. I said I was surprised Coop didn't put Lindy in against the Caps because tandems (which we still technically have) tend to mean running with the same goalie until they go cold. Since Lindback didn't suck vs. the Jets (for once!), I somewhat expected he'd get the start. Obviously, my strong preference is for Bishop to be named #1 and screw the tandem.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
By that logic why would we give Bishop the start after he has a bad game? We should just say **** Lindback lets start Bishop the rest of the year. I like competition and think it should be fair, I haven't felt Lindback got a fair chance this year. He has a bad game sits for 5, he has a good game sits for 5, how can he get any momentum or confidence that way?

Bishop had 20 good games and 3 bad games, so let's sit him in favor of Lindback who had 3 good games and 6 bad games. You are one of the ones I was talking about when I said Lightning fans aren't happy being happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad