GDT: 12/10/13 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Washington

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Not what I said. At all. I said I was surprised Coop didn't put Lindy in against the Caps because tandems (which we still technically have) tend to mean running with the same goalie until they go cold. Since Lindback didn't suck vs. the Jets (for once!), I somewhat expected he'd get the start. Obviously, my strong preference is for Bishop to be named #1 and screw the tandem.

Well then I apologize for my harshness. I have no problem with Lindback, but it seems to me that people are so steadfastly defending Lindback that they sometimes forget Bishop has been phenomenal and has been more deserving of play time. I thought you were guilty of it but I misinterpreted your message.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Bishop had 20 good games and 3 bad games, so let's sit him in favor of Lindback who had 3 good games and 6 bad games. You are one of the ones I was talking about when I said Lightning fans aren't happy being happy.

Its statements like this that make me go on my defensive rants of players. Bishop has had 5 bad games and Lindback just 2. Just cause he has 6 loses doesn't mean every game was bad. One of the loses should be Bishops but he took the backdoor lose. He's been less then 3 GA in all but the 2 bad starts, which you may say isn't great but it gave us a chance for a point. For how bad he supposedly is he's yet to get pulled unlike Bishop.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Its statements like this that make me go on my defensive rants of players. Bishop has had 5 bad games and Lindback just 2. Just cause he has 6 loses doesn't mean every game was bad. One of the loses should be Bishops but he took the backdoor lose. He's been less then 3 GA in all but the 2 bad starts, which you may say isn't great but it gave us a chance for a point. For how bad he supposedly is he's yet to get pulled unlike Bishop.

Bishop has always played several games more than Lindback, so him getting pulled really means nothing. Every goalie gets pulled sometimes. Every goalie occasionally has bad games. It happens. What you need to look for is each goalies trend. Bishop has been outstanding far more often than he has been below average. Lindback has been above average about the same amount of time he's been average. Point: Bishop. Just be happy that we have a legit #1 goalie and a backup that has showed flashes of it in small doses this year. Just be happy, please. Stop trying to undermine everyone else all the time. I enjoy playing a good amount of Devil's Advocate, but it just gets annoying and douchey when that is all you do.

Manny*

WSH-TBL (even-strength, close-score) offensive zone entries:

BbOmVzhCAAASumz.jpg:large

w/ pos.: Offensive zone entries with possession
SA w/ pos.: Shot attempts generated from entries with possession
w/o pos.: Offensive zone entries without possession
SA w/o pos.: Shot attempts generated from entries without possession
% w/ pos.: Percentage of team entries with possession
WZER: Weighted Zone Entry Rating

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
At least we won in CORSI. How many points is that worth in the standings?

A) Corsi isn't capitalized.
B) Controlling the play at even-strength compensated for the horrific PK results TB got tonight.

I get you were going for snark but, really, the whole point of the Corsi (all shot attempts) metric is its predictive value -- with enough sample size -- for future performance. It serves as a proxy for meaningful possession. Just as with football, winning the possession battle never guarantees success in individual games but if a club does it often enough, especially when the score is close so that one team hasn't resorted to a "prevent defense", it's usually a sign of a good team that's going to win the bulk of its games.

This isn't rocket science. You want the puck more than your opponent. When you have the puck more than your opponent, you're on the attack more than your opponent. This tends to result in generating more shot attempts (and, thus, scoring chances) as well as drawing more penalties than the opposition. It's not perfect but it's a good recipe.

If Richard Panik doesn't have a massive brain-fart to give the league's best power play 5:00 to play with, we're probably discussing what have seemed like a blowout of sorts for the Lightning, which unequivocally crushed the Capitals at even-strength. In other words, Washington was bailed out of a pretty terrible showing on its part for the vast majority of the game, really only dangerous when it had the man-advantage and for a handful of shifts when it didn't.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad