OT: 118th Obsequious Banter Thread: February is the month of food days

What are your favorite food(s) celebrated by a special day in February? (Choose up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Didn't even need to see who posted this. It looked like a CTown post.

Dial it back another 20-25 years and I could answer this question.

Now, get off my lawn.
The best cartoons were on channels 3, 4, and 5, that I found by TURNING THE TV DIAL WITH MY OWN HAND.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Happy Pi day

U3uWaIH.gif

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
i am willing to bet you will be disappointed..they haven't been the same in years...though the glazed pies are better than the baked ones
That pisses me off when food companies change ingredients to cut costs. Shrinkflation is bad enough but totally changing the integrity of the actual physical product you are consuming is insulting especially it is an iconic brand....

The best cartoons were on channels 3, 4, and 5, that I found by TURNING THE TV DIAL WITH MY OWN HAND.
So you didn't use a broom stick with a chiseled out wedge at the base like my dad created?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@Chinatown88 Am I crazy or is this song lifted straight from a JRPG? I want to say a FF, but I'm not sure. (8:37 if I messed up the timestamp. It's being weird.)

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
@Chinatown88 Am I crazy or is this song lifted straight from a JRPG? I want to say a FF, but I'm not sure. (8:37 if I messed up the timestamp. It's being weird.)

Me GoogleFu'ing and ending up on 2008 forum websites with broken links trying to figure this out was not on my card. DARN YOU

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Me GoogleFu'ing and ending up on 2008 forum websites with broken links trying to figure this out was not on my card. DARN YOU

It's some kind of new dub by the company that owns that YouTube channel, which is what makes this so hard.

P.S. You don't hear the crunch when Kaga bites into the pepper because they dubbed shitty music over the top. :thumbd:

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
It's some kind of new dub by the company that owns that YouTube channel, which is what makes this so hard.

P.S. You don't hear the crunch when Kaga bites into the pepper because they dubbed shitty music over the top. :thumbd:
Not the OG dub? Blech. I've seen those videos pop up on my signed out algorithm from various Youtube app instances that I deploy. Never wanted to click on em now I never will.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not the OG dub? Blech. I've seen those videos pop up on my signed out algorithm from various Youtube app instances that I deploy. Never wanted to click on em now I never will.

The voices are the same as the original English broadcasts. It's just the music.

*Edit* Wait, Kaga is dubbed instead of subtitled now. That one is different.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
The voices are the same as the original English broadcasts. It's just the music.

*Edit* Wait, Kaga is dubbed instead of subtitled now. That one is different.
Reminds me of when Quantum Leap starting coming out on DVD. They didn't want to pay to be able to include the original music so suddenly most of the actual original 'classic songs' used in the show disappeared.

Another company purchased the rights to release it and put out a Blu Ray with the original music a few years ago though.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Also, the National Archives needs volunteers to transcribe their digital uploads. When I heard this, my first thought was "that's unpaid intern work" but then they revealed that they really really really need people who can read cursive. So my guess is that the interns can't read the documents.

I'm chipping in as I can. I figured I'd start at the start and searched for the Revolutionary War, and picked an Admiralty Court prize hearing from 1777. It's a court transcript, and it starts off intensely boring and chock full of bloviation. Then the defendants told their story and it got fun.

Three ship owners from Philadelphia hired a captain in 1776. They got permission from the Continental Congress to export flax seed. Now, I don't know if Congress knew where they planned on taking it. But their plan, was Ireland. IRELAND. During the Revolutionary War, with the leave of Congress and not any occupying force. So they get into Londonderry and sell their stuff, before the customs officer realizes what side they're on and he seizes their ship. Because, no shit. After a few days they talk him into releasing it, at which point they go to Liverpool. Where they are told to f*** off on account of being American enemies. So then they go to London, where there was enough sympathy for the American colonies that they were able to stay for months while they tried to find cargo to haul. One of the owners had gone by land from Liverpool to London and scoured everywhere for anything to ship. Nothing. Nobody was going to give American enemies business, what with the war. So one of them goes to Holland and secures a shipment. It seeming a constant miracle that they're just allowed to bum around London occupying a berth.

So they pick up their stuff in Holland, and on their way back decide "Man, the British sure have been hassling us to death. What if we sail under a British flag and fake British papers so they leave us alone?" They did this, and the result was that an American privateer seized them instead. And thus in February of 1777, a year after they started this half-considered enterprise, they were in prize court arguing to get their ship back before it was sold off.

I love the audacity of deciding to take a business trip to Great Britain while fighting a war with Great Britain.
The American way.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
That pisses me off when food companies change ingredients to cut costs. Shrinkflation is bad enough but totally changing the integrity of the actual physical product you are consuming is insulting especially it is an iconic brand....

So you didn't use a broom stick with a chiseled out wedge at the base like my dad created?
They were bought by Bimbo and everything changed.

Reactions: Embiid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad