GDT: #11| New York Islanders @ San Jose Sharks | November 1st 10:30 PM | F/L 3-1

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
From day one Martin's ceiling was apparent. He's a decent 4th liner-and that's about it. He's a heart and soul guy, and every franchise's fans (not just ours) overrates those players--because we can relate to them more on a personal level. But the reality is he was never more than a decent 4th liner...I remember when I stated that 2-3 years ago....boy did my inbox blow up with hate mail. :laugh::laugh:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Thought that this game was very sluggish throughout, for both sides.

The team did do a nice job of limiting prime scoring chances, but so did the Sharks. All of our shots were from the perimeter with very little traffic in front of the net.

Nelson Tavares Okposo - Two of the three looked much better this game offensively than they had in previous games. They still need to simplify and rely on their teammates more and stop trying to do everything individually. If Okposo or Tavares stickhandle at the blue line and turn it over one more time they really should be benched for a bit. It's absurd how much they've been doing it this season. I'm not talking about entering the zone so much as when we already have possession.

Grabovski Nielsen Kulemin - Thought this group was our best line again tonight. They are very very good defensively, and they create some offensive chances. Goals will come from this line if they stay together.

Martin Strome Lee - Honestly, I thought Strome and Lee played very well. Martin was a black hole offensively and Strome needs more than one person to pass to.

Conacher Cizikas Clutterbuck - Meh...They hit some things. They stirred the pot. Not much of anything else though. Thought Conacher was more engaged without getting top line minutes though. Still would rather have Martin and Clutterbuck swapped.

Defensively I thought Leddy looked pretty good tonight, as did Hamonic. 1 bad lapse on the PK cost us a goal, otherwise they were pretty solid all night. Pavelski might have had that one great opportunity from the high slot, but overall it was a nice job by this bunch.

Talk all you want about how many goals he gave up, but Halak played very well tonight. None of those goals are easy saves, and all would be categorized as extremely difficult saves. Hertl in tight like that is just real hard, especially when you're on the goal line (like he's supposed to be) with play behind the net. The second goal is a ridiculous deflection. The third is just a solid 3 on 2 execution and is the only one of the bunch were I thought he had a shot at possibly making the save.

Thought this was a game the team played well in, much improved over the 5-0 loss last game, but they need to do better at creating high quality offensive chances. I still like the idea of the kid line and Bailey going to the top line. That gives us the best offense, with the best defense in my eyes. The Ducks will be a challenge, but there's time to prepare, so hopefully they can fix the facking PK.

Also, when they did use the 1-2-2, I thought it was very effective.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Our coach is an idiot. Plain and extremely simple. Why mess with the Nelson/Strome/Lee line? Grabovski would have been more than acceptable playing with Tavares. Would have left Kulemin/Franz/Clutter as an effective defensive line.

Did we win any faceoffs last night?

Putting Martin on the 3rd line was perplexing to say the least. He hasn't been good but he was downright awful against he Avs.

Last edited:

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Our coach is an idiot. Plain and extremely simple. Why mess with the Nelson/Strome/Lee line? Grabovski would have been more than acceptable playing with Tavares. Would have left Kulemin/Franz/Clutter as an effective defensive line.

Did we win any faceoffs last night?

Putting Martin on the 3rd line was perplexing to say the least. He hasn't been good but he was downright awful against he Avs.

Capuano has the biggest crush on Martin, I don't get it.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Talk all you want about how many goals he gave up, but Halak played very well tonight. None of those goals are easy saves, and all would be categorized as extremely difficult saves. Hertl in tight like that is just real hard, especially when you're on the goal line (like he's supposed to be) with play behind the net. The second goal is a ridiculous deflection. The third is just a solid 3 on 2 execution and is the only one of the bunch were I thought he had a shot at possibly making the save.

Agree with this completely. The weakest goal given up was by Niemi on Okposo. Halak played well.

That first goal is on Boychuk, by the way.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Is Nelson going to stay on the top line with JT? Or is Kulemin now going to play on top line?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Halak had a good game. The problem is he has played poorly in most games so far. Part of it is a broken line of communication with his defensemen. You see at least one of those plays every game where he's thinking zig and they zag...

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Can we stop saying that something is wrong with him and say that he is playing like absolute ****? Every other player sucks when they are bad, but JT "must be hurt". Could we be a more beaten down franchise? This entire **** is so embarrassing I can't deal. If he's hurt and he's not taking himself out in game 11, he's ****ing up. But more likely, he ****ing sucks right now. He's not a god people.

It's always someone else, but if your best players are not your best players you won't win. Really quite simple but it's easier to blame Cappy, Conacher, Martin ect. It's kind of humourous how hero worship blinds people on this board. :)

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
It's always someone else, but if your best players are not your best players you won't win. Really quite simple but it's easier to blame Cappy, Conacher, Martin ect. It's kind of humourous how hero worship blinds people on this board. :)

I agree, Dehann, Tavares, Halak are three key players who aren't playing to the ability we all know they can play. Not worried about it yet because people we have to remember it's only 10-12 games in, I think I may be the minority who says we work out the kinks and get back on track really soon. This is the best team we have had in a while and even though cappy sucks and is bringing this lineup down big time by putting guys like Strome on the 4th line, I think we will still find a way to win hockey games

As for cappy, terrible use of players, clueless coach. you have to be shortening the bench in a tied game with 5min left, we should NOT be seeing Matt Martin out there late in the game chugging around barely moving. It's just common sense. Also these new lines are terribad, I like Kulemin with JT but Strome on 4th line....common cappy use your noggin for once. Only gives Nelson one game On line 1. I understand we are on a losing streak but let some lines gel together for Christ sakes. If we were to get bylsma, I think we win the division. Still think we missed out on laviolette big time this summer by keeping Freddie flintstone...don't miss out on another cup winning coach. FIRE CAPPY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad