GDT: #11| New York Islanders @ San Jose Sharks | November 1st 10:30 PM | F/L 3-1

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Yqys8W.png

Preview

All time series record: The Sharks lead 15-14-3 with a 2.9 GFPGA While the Islanders are averaging 3.1 GFPGA. Islanders all time @ San Jose are 7-8-1 with a 2.9 GFPGA the Sharks are averaging 2.6 GFPGA at the NVMC

After being blanked for the first time this season, the New York Islanders voiced their concerns about struggling to score goals.

Preventing them may be their biggest problem at this point, though.

New York looks to avoid a third straight defeat Saturday night against a San Jose Sharks team that's playing a rare home game.

The Islanders (6-4-0) have dropped four of six, going 0 for 6 on the power play in Thursday's 5-0 loss to Colorado that began a five-game road trip.

Other than a seven-goal outburst in a victory over Dallas last Saturday, New York has totaled nine goals in its past five games. It couldn't break through against the Avalanche despite holding a 40-23 shot advantage, including 14-4 in the third period.

"In this league, every night, got to score two to three to win," coach Jack Capuano said. "If you don't, you're not going to win hockey games."

John Tavares hit the crossbar at the end of the first period, one of many chances the Islanders failed to convert.

"Got to find a way to get a little bit more gritty," Tavares said. "Find a way to get an ugly one, get a bounce to go your way. It's obviously a frustrating loss."

Offense has been a problem for the Islanders, but their breakdowns at the other end of the ice seem to be causing even bigger issues. New York has allowed at least three goals in nine of its 10 contests and at least four in four of its last five.

The 36 non-shootout goals it has given up rank among the most in the league. Jaroslav Halak, who signed a four-year, $18 million contract in the offseason, is 3-3-0 with a 3.50 goals-against average, while backup Chad Johnson has a 3.75 GAA in four starts after taking the loss Thursday.

Halak is likely to be in net for this contest. He made 20 saves as the Islanders registered a season-high 45 shots in a 4-3 shootout win over the Sharks on Oct. 16.

San Jose is 5-0-2 in its last seven meetings with New York, and it returns home after completing a 2-0-1 road trip with a 4-3 shootout loss to Minnesota on Thursday.

The Sharks (6-4-2) had lost four straight prior to the trip. They held a two-goal edge in the third period, but Antti Niemi couldn't hold the lead despite making a career high-tying 43 saves.

"We showed signs of fatigue a little bit," coach Todd McLellan said. "Then when the fatigue stepped in, we were not mentally clear on some of the decisions we made and we fed them."

San Jose plays 16 of its first 21 on the road, but has managed to hold its own so far despite the travel. After this contest, the Sharks get four days off before hosting Vancouver, then embark on seven-game trip through the Midwest and East Coast.

"We'll take the points any way we can get them," McLellan said.

Backup Alex Stalock made 42 saves in the first meeting with the Islanders, but Niemi could be back in net for this matchup. Niemi, who posted a 1.89 GAA while starting each game of the recent road swing, is 1-0-1 with a 3.25 GAA in his career against New York.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

http://islanders.nhl.com/

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I have a wedding to go to tonight, going to miss the game. I do have a bad feeling about it though, we beat them once but will it happen again on the road? Hopefully Nelson has chemistry on the 1st line!

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
1st line is the least of our worries.
Halak has to track and freeze the puck better, our disgraceful pee wee league PK has to show up and act like they are in the pros.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
Interesting line changes, most importantly, Conacher finally being demoted from the first line.

Like Strome going back to his native center role, but would rather see Strome centering the third line with Lee to his left, and CC to the right, then drop Conacher and Cizikas to the fourth line with Martin, seems more balanced to me. Not sure I like Lee and Martin on the same line, as both aren't the quickest skaters.

Just get a freakin' win boys, whatever it takes to get it done.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Is the Hammer back?

I see he's on the second pairing: DeMonic

But, is this offical?

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I have a wedding to go to tonight, going to miss the game. I do have a bad feeling about it though, we beat them once but will it happen again on the road? Hopefully Nelson has chemistry on the 1st line!

We saw it before last year.

1st line will be fine imo, I'm extremely upset about the bottom 6 lines though.

Bottom 6 look horrible on paper, 2 guys on the 4th line that shouldn't be there.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
really liking our lineup. maybe the best this year. i would prefer Bailey or Grabner over Conacher, but hopefully that day will come soon. Nelson on the 1st will allow Cappy to put them out in the last moments of the game, without us fans having to cover our eyes and hold our breath.

seems like a very good 1st line, a very good 2nd line, and a 3A and a 3B. as long as the 3rd lines are getting about 13-14 minutes, i think it will be good.

good to see Hammer back.

now, the goaltending. is it them, or our defensive system, that needs to be dealt with? i am leaning toward system, but let's face it. neither of our goalies have shone consistently.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Interesting line changes, most importantly, Conacher finally being demoted from the first line.

Like Strome going back to his native center role, but would rather see Strome centering the third line with Lee to his left, and CC to the right, then drop Conacher and Cizikas to the fourth line with Martin, seems more balanced to me. Not sure I like Lee and Martin on the same line, as both aren't the quickest skaters.

Accoding to Staple, flip the bottom 6.
Strome/Lee/MM will be the 3rd line
Con/Zeek/CBuck will be the 4th
Don't know why Lee is on RW. One improvement is swap CB and MM, move Lee to LW and slot CB on RW and Strome has two energetic big bodies to center.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Don't know why Lee is on RW. One improvement is swap CB and MM, move Lee to LW and slot CB on RW and Strome has two energetic big bodies to center.

This is what the bottom 6 should be

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.

Ya, don't get it either, bottom 6 should be as follows;

Lee - Strome - Clutter
Con - Zeek - MM

Like that much better, just seems more balanced while utilizing native positions, would love to see Strome at center......

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think Cappy is trying to balance out the bottom 6, which is why you see a mix and match I think he sees the weaknesses of MM and Conacher and is trying to dilute it by adding other complimentary players.

I am not looking forward to todays game...It's soooo fricken late...for us living in Europe. Good thing you guys haven't turned your clocks back...or it would be even worse.

camper*

If your take a better look as in the case of a quick colorado team....Martin caught 2 quick guys from behind..after the first line made a bad line change........because he is tall/big/lanky do not assume he cannot motor cause he can.........his sride is not of a small player having to move his feet twice for every Marts stride...then factor in once he catches you he will but a hurting on you.....the small guy cannot.:naughty:

camper*

I think Cappy is trying to balance out the bottom 6, which is why you see a mix and match I think he sees the weaknesses of MM and Conacher and is trying to dilute it by adding other complimentary players.

I am not looking forward to todays game...It's soooo fricken late...for us living in Europe. Good thing you guys haven't turned your clocks back...or it would be even worse.

This Post is coming from a guy who thought macdonald was wonderful:nod:
Marts punch is being wasted between 2 non finishers todate.....he is the jack hammer..yet no matter how much he loosens up the puck with no finisher its wasted?.....hope this helps coming from a ex finisher

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
"Strome with a superb pass to Martin. He has a wide open net but instead decides to hit the opponent for his 10th hit of the night!"

Lines suck and they better be wrong. I have a really bad feeling about tonight. 2-1 win for Sharks but Halak gets going.

As always great GDT!

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
^ At this point I'd consider a 2-1 loss an improvement. I agree with other posters who want Lee and Clutter with Strome.

I really just want to hold SJ to 2 goals no matter how many we score. If we do that, i'd even be okay with the loss.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
This Post is coming from a guy who thought macdonald was wonderful:nod:
Marts punch is being wasted between 2 non finishers todate.....he is the jack hammer..yet no matter how much he loosens up the puck with no finisher its wasted?.....hope this helps coming from a ex finisher

:cool:...I'm still on McDonald's side! He'll make it..I swear.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Conacher should have less than 10 minutes of ice time. 4th line, doesn't PP, and doesn't PK.

Having Hamonic back is huge. He stabilizes our defense so much.

These California teams are tough, especially on the road. I would call this a victory even if we lose, but one or a few o f the following things happen: We give up less than 3 goals. Halak looks sharp. JT gets out of his funk and the 1st line looks good. We give up limited PK goals against.

Water actually fell from the sky yesterday in California. Kind of a lot. Maybe it's a sign.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Sj 6
nyi 2

Just curious, do you ever predict victories? I recognize that we are playing a strong team tonight, but you have predicted losses the last two games (three including tonight), and possibly more as I don't recall your predictions before the Winnipeg game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad