GDT: #11 New York Islanders @ New Jersey Devils: Forgot this was at 1PM edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I get trick or treating but the game ends at 3:30...let's say most people live within an hour of the arena, you can't do it from 4-6? Or even after dark though many parents frown on that nowadays. If they get matinees in January/February it'll be weather concerns. They can't all be in March and April.

And kids were allowed in free fwiw though the Devils kept that secret pretty well :P

Can't speak for cities but kids in the burbs don't start til 5 at the earliest.
It's an unwritten rule.

We got trick or treating done at the game and then tonight and just got back home.

A lot of youth soccer and football was this afternoon, but the Devils did do a good job for the kids on attendance today.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Capacity was cut down to something like 16,600 last season.

Sites like ESPN haven't updated it yet.

But a weak showing by our overall fanbase today for sure.

Hope it starts picking up.

Isles aren't really a draw at the prices they are selling and regular fans don't want to come out to a 1:00pm game.

They wanted families today and didn't do the best job at it. Why they didn't make the children are free bit up is beyond me.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I did meet a few Devils fans who drove up from Central PA.
They were good fans and we had to put up with a negative nancy a few rows on back.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
What a weird game....Played really strong 1st period, barely decent 2nd (lots of mishandles, broken plays), and horrible 3rd where, although it looked OK for a bit, there was no actual sustained offensive pressure in the 3rd, outside of like a few chances that never even got on net.

Team somehow squeaked out a win. No complaints here.

Totally LOL'ed in a good way at the Farnham show in the first. What an amazing way to start your NJ Devils career, and considering what the expectations were, that guy gets a medal.

Take it, move on.......

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Forgot to add, that was the first game in a while I've seen from Schneider where specifically watching opposition shooting it on goal gave me the uneasy feeling it would going to sneak in.. EVERY TIME. His rebound control was really poor today, and that shorty was well. UM. Yeah.

That's how shaky his play was today. But since its pretty rare that I will presume we won't see a game like that from him in awhile.

And he somehow edged out a win in Shootout and (he's generally pretty shaky in those). Planets are aligned.

Go with Schneids until we lose one, then maybe give Kinkaid a start for a rotation.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Bob Arsena would also say "Captain" when introducing the Captain of course for opening night intros...lol

Clarke does not do that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Forgot to add, that was the first game in a while I've seen from Schneider where specifically watching opposition shooting it on goal gave me the uneasy feeling it would going to sneak in.. EVERY TIME. His rebound control was really poor today, and that shorty was well. UM. Yeah.

That's how shaky his play was today. But since its pretty rare that I will presume we won't see a game like that from him in awhile.

And he somehow edged out a win in Shootout and (he's generally pretty shaky in those). Planets are aligned.

Go with Schneids until we lose one, then maybe give Kinkaid a start for a rotation.
We really don't need a rotation. Cory should probably be starting unless there's a back to back, if he's healthy. Though I don't think there's any problem with giving Kinkaid a random game in the middle of a schedule if there hasn't been back to back in a long time. Like maybe one start between now and Thanksgiving weekend when the next back to back is in a month from now.

And there's absolutely no reason to force Schneider to start both back to back's, unless Kinkaid is injured and our options are The Danis or Wedgewood.
I liked it when Bob Arsena would mention if it was a Devils player 1st NHL goal.

Kevin Clark doesn't.

I clearly do remember Kevin Clark announcing a couple player's first ever point during the announcement. I forgot who it was or even how long ago it was, but I do distinctly remember him doing it in the past.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Oops that was a misspeak on my part, i meant to say we should rotate him in (implied for a game or two if he plays really well), but naturally give Cory the majority of the work as per usual (brodeur style), unless he falters in a major way.

Not start a rotation split or anything like that.

Just don't do a PDB where the poor guy has to play like 20 games in a row.

Any chance we will see Mattaeu next game in place of O'Neill? Nothing against the guy personally, but i still don't see why we should keep Mattaeu sitting. At least give him more time. If he pans out more (Mattaeu), imagine what him and Kalinin could do on a single line.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Oops that was a misspeak on my part, i meant to say we should rotate him in (implied for a game or two if he plays really well), but naturally give Cory the majority of the work as per usual (brodeur style), unless he falters in a major way.

Not start a rotation split or anything like that.

Just don't do a PDB where the poor guy has to play like 20 games in a row.

Any chance we will see Mattaeu next game in place of O'Neill? Nothing against the guy personally, but i still don't see why we should keep Mattaeu sitting. At least give him more time. If he pans out more (Mattaeu), imagine what him and Kalinin could do on a single line.

What is panning out for Matteau at this point? Average 3rd liner at best?

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
What is panning out for Matteau at this point? Average 3rd liner at best?

Matteau's ceiling is probably a 2nd-3rd line tweener but I'd be satisfied with an average 3rd liner from him. That's what I think he's likely to be if he can figure things out at the NHL level. That still remains to be seen, of course.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Matteau will get back into the line up and get another chance.

I think the 7D thing might be coming to an end. Gelly didnt play that much after the first. He also didnt do anything on the PPs he was on.

Ill give credit to Hynes he isnt just double shifting the same guy over and over. He is doing a good job of rotating Camm, Henrique, Palmieri, Stemp, and Zajac on the 4th line. In the past i feel like it would have mostly been just 1 or 2 guys.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Matteau will get back into the line up and get another chance.

I think the 7D thing might be coming to an end. Gelly didnt play that much after the first. He also didnt do anything on the PPs he was on.

Ill give credit to Hynes he isnt just double shifting the same guy over and over. He is doing a good job of rotating Camm, Henrique, Palmieri, Stemp, and Zajac on the 4th line. In the past i feel like it would have mostly been just 1 or 2 guys.

I hope 7d doesn't have a long shelf life.
The forwards who double shift look gassed in the 3rd.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I think Moore is a solid addition. Him and Merrill have been pretty equal to me so far.

Moore is a quality, steady defensemen that isn't going to wow you, but he isn't going to be a liability at all either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad