GDT: #11 New York Islanders @ New Jersey Devils: Forgot this was at 1PM edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah O'Neill on the PP was a real WTF concept to me.

It's like they're desperately trying to get him to score his first ever point, to see how much longer he can go without a registering a point.

Tim Sestito got his first point in his fifth ever NHL game.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Yeah O'Neill on the PP was a real WTF concept to me.

It's like they're desperately trying to get him to score his first ever point, to see how much longer he can go without a registering a point.

Tim Sestito got his first point in his fifth ever NHL game.

I didn't think the coaching staff has been that impressed with Kalinin because they never give him a chance on the 1st 2 lines or on the PP but that changed towards the end when they starting putting him out at the end of the game.

Hopefully they try him out on the PP at the very least.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Funny how it works, heavily outplay Cbj and lose.
Heavily outplayed by NYb and win.

The game definitely involves some breaks. I agree the Devils didn't have their legs, especially in the 3rd. But I'm not surprised they found a way to win, considering how they limited the Isles to very few scoring chances. The team played extremely well in their own zone, making smart plays to exit the zone, and keeping the Isles to only a few periods of sustained attack.

This is what the Devils could not find a way to do the past few years. Maybe it helps that the young guys are better at bouncing back from fatigue.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I like that his hair is kind of longish.

It's been about 20 years since we had a guy with hair even as long as his, and his hair isn't even really that long anyway.

Every picture I've saw of him, he had a full face of hair. Has he been clean shaven all year? I wonder if he was thinking ''Oh ****, it's the Devils! I gotta shave this **** off man!":laugh:

He usually didn't have a beard here either. He's had longer hair occasionally, but I think that was for Locks of Love. Christiaan Minella played on the Baby Pens a few years ago and had a relative get diagnosed with cancer, a bunch of the players grew their hair out that year and some of the guys that played with him and were still with the team continued to do it.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
attendance/total capacity

11,605/17,625

66 percent of seats filled

I think the reasons for that is

1) Expensive seats
2) The attendance numbers are not lied about anymore (they always were heavily inflated)
3) The team doesn't have that much offensive talent

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014

1) Expensive seats
2) The attendance numbers are not lied about anymore (they always were heavily inflated)

If the team continues to win we will see the usual attendance uptick after Christmas. I know it was a day game but I still think everyone is in Mets mode as well too. But yeah the high original price of these tickets led to the low attendance and a large amount of these front running ******* to take the LIRR to Newark today.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

1) Expensive seats

More likely.

1: afternoon game
2: Halloween
3: mets
4: prices
5: people haven't jumped back on the bandwagon yet

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
More likely.

1: afternoon game
2: Halloween
3: mets
4: prices
5: people haven't jumped back on the bandwagon yet

People claim they want more matinees to take the kids to, and this was one. I guess that's why the Devils figured they could get blood from a stone and price like they were expecting a sellout, but their expensive pricing clearly backfired. Assuming the number is accurate the VAST majority of the attendees are sth's and plan holders, walkup sales were practically nil.

I don't think the Mets were a factor other than for people actually going TO Citi Field since the game times were so different. I would have gladly done a doubleheader if I felt like paying the $700 plus for a 500's seat down 2-1 in the WS lol but I could see most not wanting to gorge and go to both.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
People claim they want more matinees to take the kids to, and this was one. I guess that's why the Devils figured they could get blood from a stone and price like they were expecting a sellout, but their expensive pricing clearly backfired. Assuming the number is accurate the VAST majority of the attendees are sth's and plan holders, walkup sales were practically nil.

I don't think the Mets were a factor other than for people actually going TO Citi Field since the game times were so different. I would have gladly done a doubleheader if I felt like paying the $700 plus for a 500's seat down 2-1 in the WS lol but I could see most not wanting to gorge and go to both.

I'm sure there were people who wanted to take their kids trick or treating in the neighborhood and not have to buy them $100 worth of food and other crap. They need the matinee games on random Saturdays later on in the season.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Zajac_Funny.png

Zajac_Funny2.png

A very flattering picture of Zajac on NHL.com :laugh:

hahahaha look at the stupid Fishsticks fans faces in the background. LOVE IT!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm sure there were people who wanted to take their kids trick or treating in the neighborhood and not have to buy them $100 worth of food and other crap. They need the matinee games on random Saturdays later on in the season.

I get trick or treating but the game ends at 3:30...let's say most people live within an hour of the arena, you can't do it from 4-6? Or even after dark though many parents frown on that nowadays. If they get matinees in January/February it'll be weather concerns. They can't all be in March and April.

And kids were allowed in free fwiw though the Devils kept that secret pretty well :P

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I mean as a fan even with the good start I have zero interest in a 1:00PM game.

We could be a 100 point team and I'm not going to this game. Add in Halloween and people spending their money going out. It takes a bite out.

I also did see a a lot of mets jerseys in Hoboken going into the path.

Pricing mostly was the biggest difference. And not having enough families to make a 1 pm game work.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I get trick or treating but the game ends at 3:30...let's say most people live within an hour of the arena, you can't do it from 4-6? Or even after dark though many parents frown on that nowadays.

And kids were allowed in free fwiw though the Devils kept that secret pretty well :P

Hoboken was swamped all day with family trick or treaters. Starting before game time and all day.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The funny part is the 3-4 rows in front of me were all packed but my actual row had like one other person in it :P

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only thing I feel like stressing more than how awful our penalty kill is, is that Mike Cammalleri has a slightly lower cap hit than David Clarkson and his current contract expires the year before Clarkson's current one. I can't believe how much of a joke and pathetic that is. Cammalleri's was two years shorter and had a much longer and proven resume of actually being a goal scorer.

:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd take so much satisfaction in making the playoffs, based on an absurd amount of shootout and OT wins.

So people can say ''They aren't that good, they won all those OT and shootout games! So much luck!'' it would be payback for missing the playoffs that year where we went 0-13 in the shootouts.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I mean as a fan even with the good start I have zero interest in a 1:00PM game.

We could be a 100 point team and I'm not going to this game. Add in Halloween and people spending their money going out. It takes a bite out.

I also did see a a lot of mets jerseys in Hoboken going into the path.

Pricing mostly was the biggest difference. And not having enough families to make a 1 pm game work.

i didnt even watch and i was home…..decided to do siding on a shed extension instead…otherwise it would have been hockey and beers and nothing would have gotten done today.

really wanted an evening game to sit back and enjoy …maybe ill just tune in to the kessel/laughs game

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
attendance is a strange animal.

Pens announced a sellout this past thursday and the place was practically empty.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I couldn't watch this game. :rant: We're winning even with Schneider allowing at least one soft goal per game. That's nice.

Good debut by Farnham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad