GDT: #11 New York Islanders @ New Jersey Devils: Forgot this was at 1PM edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Just finished the DVR of the game. Way to go Cammmmmmrod. Nice first pick for the farmer.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
What is panning out for Matteau at this point? Average 3rd liner at best?

That's like our ideaaaaaaaaaal. But to be honest, i don't think he's gotten enough games in for me to make any judgement that he is not worth developing anymore, and conversely, I've seen enough of O'Neill to say he is nothing special and probably not worth investing a lot of further time into.

If Matteau could turn out to a Zubrus (in his younger days), I would be completely pleased. I'd like to see him in for O'Neill. Just give the guy some games, Hynes. O'Neill still hasn't racked up a point either in all his time playing on 3rd line, PP, etc, and is playing way more minutes compared to what Stefan was getting.

Doubt he'll change it up though, as the team is still on a relatively good roll....

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Honestly, I'm not sure why we are penciling Matteau with a ceiling of any NHL player at this point.

Because a ceiling would be his highest potential. A floor would be his lowest. His floor is probably not being an NHL player at all. Now time will tell whether he ends up closer to his ceiling or his floor.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Because a ceiling would be his highest potential. A floor would be his lowest. His floor is probably not being an NHL player at all. Now time will tell whether he ends up closer to his ceiling or his floor.

No I know. I just don't think we've seen enough of him at all (not saying he's deserved more NHL viewing either) to warrant any comparison to any NHL player, at this time.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
No I know. I just don't think we've seen enough of him at all (not saying he's deserved more NHL viewing either) to warrant any comparison to any NHL player, at this time.

That's fair enough. When/if he gets in the line-up more we will probably have a better sample size by which to make comparisons.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Matteau is 21 years old. If he was handled properly, he should still be waiver exempt and able to go back and forth to the AHL.

Matteau's issue is not his ceiling, but instead his poor handling by the Devils.

That said, the reality is that Matteau has not shown offensive potential at any point after being drafted.

I wonder if/when the Devils can send him down for "conditioning"?

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Matteau is 21 years old. If he was handled properly, he should still be waiver exempt and able to go back and forth to the AHL.

Matteau's issue is not his ceiling, but instead his poor handling by the Devils.

That said, the reality is that Matteau has not shown offensive potential at any point after being drafted.

not sure they are looking for offense out of him at this point i think his average play along the walls and his occasional bad play defensively has kept him out of the lineup not to mention the team is on a winning streak so coach isn't rocking the boat.. hynes proven he will stick with guys, i think right now matteau is a victim of the recent success coupled with he still has not played great..

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

You can blame Devils for 'poor handling' by not sending him back to junior before 10th game in his first season.

But I think the real disappointment is on Matteau himself. He hasn't improved at all since that first season and you could argue he looked better in his first season than he does now.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
You can blame Devils for 'poor handling' by not sending him back to junior before 10th game in his first season.

But I think the real disappointment is on Matteau himself. He hasn't improved at all since that first season and you could argue he looked better in his first season than he does now.

It's hard for me to say that a 21 year old should be ready for the nhl. Outside of the very top end talent, 21 is still very young for the league. The fact that Matteau can't crack the lineup isn't a big deal IMO. It's certainly not enough of a red flag to start saying he's peaked.

Otoh, if people want to use his AHL performance last year to show stagnation, I think that's very fair.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Matteau hurt Matteau. If he wasn't such hot **** in Junior, he wouldn't have been kicked off the team. I don't think he worked all that hard to improve himself and relied on his size, which got him by as a kid, but everybody is his size now.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Dangerous to make assumptions about a guy's effort level based solely on your perception as a fan.

Most of the time, in the NHL, in the minors, in life, people are trying hard as hell and still fall short.

My take is that Matteau is not the type of player that fans think he is or want him to be - aka Zubrus-style blatantly physical grinder-type. His game, when he has looked good, has mostly been about being in the right place at the right time in the dirty areas, specifically when someone else has drawn the coverage. He seems like the sort of player who needs to be paired with a slick playmaker, puck-possessor-type.

The problem is his skating is poor and he's not so crafty or smart to make up for it in other ways. And maybe rightfully, he doesn't get the minutes to figure his **** out. I definitely agree with those who think that calling him up and burning those years off his ELC was a huge mistake. He needs to play and figure out who he is.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
Dangerous to make assumptions about a guy's effort level based solely on your perception as a fan.

Most of the time, in the NHL, in the minors, in life, people are trying hard as hell and still fall short.

My take is that Matteau is not the type of player that fans think he is or want him to be - aka Zubrus-style blatantly physical grinder-type. His game, when he has looked good, has mostly been about being in the right place at the right time in the dirty areas, specifically when someone else has drawn the coverage. He seems like the sort of player who needs to be paired with a slick playmaker, puck-possessor-type.

The problem is his skating is poor and he's not so crafty or smart to make up for it in other ways. And maybe rightfully, he doesn't get the minutes to figure his **** out. I definitely agree with those who think that calling him up and burning those years off his ELC was a huge mistake. He needs to play and figure out who he is.

Yea, we drafted him as the relentless, vicious half-grinder, half-scorer type. He's lost the whole 'vicious' part though. Have a feeling that's a big reason why he is how he is now. Wouldn't be surprised if he's eventually a 20 point player though.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Haven't been home the past couple games while in progress but watched it later and was pleasantly surprised! Tavares was out but we'll take what we can get.

Didn't have high hopes after the blown lead and that very disappointing short-side goal that was allowed to tie things up. Gotta hand it to Nielsen for threading the puck to the one vulnerable spot there. Real glad we got a win vs. isles though because (although our team is almost entirely different now) we came out on the bottom of every matchup vs. islanders last season.

How do goalies keep falling for that same move JJ does every time in the shootout? :laugh: The Cammalleri sneak for the win was super sweet too, definitely redeemed a horrid shootout attempt earlier this year when he missed the net. I was really surprised because tricky wristers are his bread n butter not that finesse winner.

Grats to Farnham on the assist and 1st NHL goal, would never have predicted that would happen...and likely no one else did either! At any rate I'm glad he had a memorable debut with the team even if it's a mere flash in the pan.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Matteau became the Zubrus of his prime, that would be incredible for us. Not even the Ovechkin inflated Zubrus, just the one the Devils had from 2007 to 2012 or 2013.

In very little time this season, he's looked like the Zubrus from 2013, not quite the 14-15 Zubrus type bad.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If Matteau became the Zubrus of his prime, that would be incredible for us. Not even the Ovechkin inflated Zubrus, just the one the Devils had from 2007 to 2012 or 2013.

In very little time this season, he's looked like the Zubrus from 2013, not quite the 14-15 Zubrus type bad.

I think Kalinin has a better shot at this and yes it would be excellent.

Prime Devils Zubs is a type of player you want around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad