Post-Game Talk: 11/28/17 Canucks 2 @ Islanders 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Yup, went pretty much as expected. This Islanders team is legit if they get great goal tending. They, or the Lightning, are playing the Blues for the Cup, methinks.

The Canucks played against a measuring stick tonight. There's a long way to go, but it will be fun getting there.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Yup, went pretty much as expected. This Islanders team is legit if they get great goal tending. They, or the Lightning, are playing the Blues for the Cup, methinks.

The Canucks played against a measuring stick tonight. There's a long way to go, but it will be fun getting there.

Blues gotta prove they are not playoff chokers first. They do look stronger than previous years, I gotta admit. Quite a few players stepped up their games in unexpected ways. If they can sustain it and withstand the pressure in playoffs, yeah they'll likely be contending.

NYI should at least be able to make a splash in playoffs.

Either of these two teams are light years ahead of our own train wreck.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
P

Pouliot needs to get stronger on the boards no question but other than being out muscled by a 230 lb forward i thought he has looked pretty good tonight...smooth with the puck and makes good passes. At least has some flair in the offensive zone. The rest of this defence is a collection of plumbers pretty much void of offensive talent or the ability to get a good shot on goal.

Only caught the last 15 minutes and I thought Pouliot looked good, can't put all the blame on him for that goal.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
So you didn't watch the game?

Pouliot wasn't very good at all.

I disagree. His skating and puck movement was good tonight. Has some aspects of his game to improve on defensively but he was not the worst defenceman out there tonight.

Have not been impressed with Stecher since he has returned to be honest. Offensively some of these guys like Hutton and Edler are inept. Can't shoot their way out if a paper bag. At least Pouliot is showing some good instincts and starting to get his shot on net. Best outlet passer of the group.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I disagree. His skating and puck movement was good tonight. Has some aspects of his game to improve on defensively but he was not the worst defenceman out there tonight.

Have not been impressed with Stecher since he has returned to be honest. Offensively some of these guys like Hutton and Edler are inept. Can't shoot their way out if a paper bag. At least Pouliot is showing some good instincts and starting to get his shot on net. Best outlet passer of the group.

That's what I saw. He's a smooth puck mover.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
For someone accusing the others of not watching the games, you should review this one. And the last 15 were bad too.

Well, I admit when I don't watch and I don't shoot my mouth of and follow the prevailing sentiment just to be heard.
He looked pretty good to me, the last 15.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I've never posted on this board, just watching some highlights, just gotta say, holy shit, what a wrist shot by Horvat.

Reactions: The Drop

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Islanders got a good a solid vet team and they had us back on our heels for much of the game. Only a inspired performance by Horvat saved this from being a massive train wreck. Maybe the best symbol for this game was Boeser's yawn.

Good

Horvat - tried but couldn't carry the whole team

Tanev - don't know if he was actually good but was the best of the defenseman

Eriksson - made some nice plays and at least looked a threat to do something

Bad

Sedins - back to mostly looking old. When pressured hard just couldn't get the puck out of their zone

Burmistrov - got benched some. Totally ineffective. Seems like only a matter of time before he is shipped out. Some Russians just can't adapt to NA hockey in spite of having some good personal skills

Gaunce - worst game to date. Looked slow and and indecisive with the puck. Had the one good shift in the third but otherwise baggage. Got bounced around a bit by an Islander team with size on defense.

Granlund - getting to be a familiar pattern. Can't penetrate the defense and reduced to mostly chipping the puck out of his zone or chipping it into the other zone. Not much in the play at all.

Hutton - legs looked tired and he appeared to be skating in mud for much of the game and getting nothing on his shots. Abused around his net.

Pouliot - not all bad but looking more and more prone to the big gaffe that gives away a game. Lacks quickness around his net.

Baertschi - no show in this one. Got little time in the third. Might have been hurt by the shot Stecher whistled off his head.

Ugly

Gagner - seemed like he was making turnovers and giveaways all game. Play in his own end was atrocious. Got out of position, didn't pick people up going to the goal, never was a outlet for his defensemen, gave away the puck for open chances...... And, of course, was useless on offense. Up there, league-wise, with the worst off season signings.

Others

Virtanen - probably did enough good to make up for the bad. Showed off his speed and that did lead to some chances but also made some thoughtless and lazy plays. Looked bagged at times and some of worst mistakes came at the end of shifts.

Boeser - poor first period but then forced the play and created some chances. Have to say he looked second best to Barzal (who looked terrific).

Love how our defense nearly kills our players when taking shots on goals. Sort of epitomizes the inability of out d-men to score. Contrast between our defense and the Islander defense in terms of offense is quite stunning. We have no one like Leddy. Not even close.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hard to believe I'm writing this, but the Canucks were stronger defensively when Biega and Gudbranson were in the lineup....just no toughness and physicality in this lineup, particularly without Dorsett...it's a soft, soft group. And was also rubbing my eyes in disbelief...did Green really have Gagner and Burmistrov on the same line at times?....talk about a defensive black hole.

Finally the goaltending.....won't shock me at all that if Canucks are out of it again by the trade deadline, Demko gets an audition...Both Markstrom and Nilsson are backups at best....poor catching hands and terrible rebound control. Going to be a long year between the pipes until Demko is ready to take over.

Reactions: JuniorNelson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad