2 game losing streak.

3 goals in on 20 shots.

We are too easy to play against.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
While I appreciate a lot of what Green has done as coach this season, his treatment of Virtanen - particularly here - is baffling. That was Virtanen's best game by a country mile, I don't see how he doesn't get a single look in either OT or the shootout.

Markstrom continues to be somewhat Jekyll and Hyde. Has games where he is the only reason we are in them, and games like today where he singlehandedly lets the opponent back in the game. Didn't feel he was so good in New Jersey that he warranted the start over Nilsson today, either. Until one of those guys consistently acquits themselves, keep rotating them.

Eriksson continues his run of good play. Thought he was really strong today.

The ice was simply atrocious in this game.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Next game go

Baertchi Bo Boeser
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Goldy Gaunce Virtanen
Granny Gagner Vanek

Sit Burmur whats his point

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Guance and Virtanen had strong games. Granlund is so weak,its a shame hes losing every boardbattle.
Baertshi and Boesser had pretty weak games. Horvat was Ok, but got no help from his linemates.
Vanek was fine, Gagner had a goal, Burmistrov looked rusty
Sedins and Eriksson were the best Canuck line, unlucky to only score one goal.

The defense was alright, but Edler really should be of the PP, can we please try Stetcher or Pouliot on the top unit, I know the PP has been kind of on a roll for last 5 games, but edler is holding the PP back.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fairly slow game early that got very sloppy and exciting late. Probably should have won.

- I'll defend Markstrom's play in regulation as he made several exceptional saves around the one weak goal. But this is the second straight shootout where he was beaten clean high way too easily.

- Sedins were very good, especially early. Eriksson has more spring in his step and this last week or so is easily the best he's looked as a Canuck. That line had a very poor backcheck on the 3-3 goal, though.

- Virtanen's best game of the season aside from the game in Detroit. Was excellent and Green's failure to use him more or play him in OT should be heavily criticized.

- Gaunce likewise is looking excellent after a slow start coming back from his injury. Is just hilariously snakebit at this point - feel once he gets one, they'll start coming. Won so many puck battles tonight.

- Baertschi and especially Boeser were very poor tonight. Looked slow and generated nothing with either Horvat or Burmistrov centering them. Maybe Boesers worst NHL game. If he isn't moving his feet well, he looks very slow.

- Vanek looked useful again. Gagner scored but again looked useless most of the night. So weak on the puck.

- Tanev wasn't great against NJ but was back to himself tonight and easily our best defender. Hutton had a few iffy moments but was decent.

- Edler had an up-down night with some good play and some poor play. Pouliot wasn't awful but continues to be very weak in puck battles.

- Stecher to me isn't more than a 3rd pairing guy. Struggling to make any impact this year.

Reactions: Dissonance Jr

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
While I appreciate a lot of what Green has done as coach this season, his treatment of Virtanen - particularly here - is baffling. That was Virtanen's best game by a country mile, I don't see how he doesn't get a single look in either OT or the shootout.

Markstrom continues to be somewhat Jekyll and Hyde. Has games where he is the only reason we are in them, and games like today where he singlehandedly lets the opponent back in the game. Didn't feel he was so good in New Jersey that he warranted the start over Nilsson today, either. Until one of those guys consistently acquits themselves, keep rotating them.

Eriksson continues his run of good play. Thought he was really strong today.

The ice was simply atrocious in this game.
Have to agree with this.....for all the good things Green has done behind the bench, his handling of the goaltenders has been his weakest decision-making.....the disparity in playing time between Markstrom and Nillison is frankly ridiculous....reality is they just don't win when Markstrom plays....it's not that he plays badly, but just can't give them a save when they really need it....shootout was typical....two chances for a save to win it, and 0-2.....I know Green and Markstrom go back to their Utica days, but there's a difference between loyalty and stubbornness.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Man, the Rangers just did not want to win this game, did they? Hard to remember a sloppier effort, but that's an early morning game for you. Oh, and the ice was horrible. Like a curling rink out there.

Also don't get what Green has against Virtanen. Easily his best game this season, doesn't see ice in OT or SO. Don't get that at all.

Weak games from a lot of the young guys, but I'm willing to put that down to the weird-ass 11am start time.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory once again...

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Our 0-4 record after regulation will do that for you. Imagine if we could have snagged 2-3 of those lost points.

I don’t care how people think this was a point gained. We were never trailing and blew 2 leads.

Point lost.

I have no faith in this team going into a shootout.
Got a point, next game.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Gaunce had a good game. So strong along the boards. Him and Virtanen could be the makings of a very tough line to play against. They just need to find some consistent scoring (in Gaunces' case, any scoring).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad