Post-Game Talk: 11/25/16 | Canucks 1 @ Stars 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Crappy time for Baertschi to get injured given that it looked like he was starting to get his confidence back. Hopefully it's a short-term thing.

When they say foot injury.. its usually all or nothing -- needs a day or 2 for soreness to subside due to taking a puck off of it... or 6-8 weeks for a hairline fracture.
Usually.

Hoping its simply swollen and sore.

What weird reverse of fortunes from last season when it was consistently our dmen getting picked off by injuries... (edit.. actually on second thought... it was everyone last yr)

We win anyway..
Keep the scoring up boys..

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Half of our forward are AHLers... wouldn't have hurt to have one of Pulkkinen, MPS or Griffith now..

My sentiments exactly....at least waiver wire pickups wouldn't mean continuously raiding the team in Utica.....they also play tonight and have massive holes in their lineup....I don't know if any of these waiver guys are better than Megna, Chaput, Labate or Grenier, but regardless, that's one ugly NHL lineup for tonight's game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Crappy time for Baertschi to get injured given that it looked like he was starting to get his confidence back. Hopefully it's a short-term thing.

Yeah, that really sucks. His last 2 games were very good and gave hope that maybe he was going to break out. Very disappointing setback.

Irrelevant. He's not here next year and we need to know what we have with Markstrom.

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

If Miller gave us an obviously better chance to win, MAYBE there's some argument there. But their stats have been almost identical for two years. And one guy is theoretically a huge long-term part of the team while the other will be gone next year. Markstrom should be getting 50 starts this year, but without Miller's injury/illness he'd be on pace for 25 yet again.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
another convincing win and i feel a lot of ppl will be tuning into the next game.

a loss and a thirtsy friday night it will be

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Yeah, that really sucks. His last 2 games were very good and gave hope that maybe he was going to break out. Very disappointing setback.

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

If Miller gave us an obviously better chance to win, MAYBE there's some argument there. But their stats have been almost identical for two years. And one guy is theoretically a huge long-term part of the team while the other will be gone next year. Markstrom should be getting 50 starts this year, but without Miller's injury/illness he'd be on pace for 25 yet again.

This. Look, I'm a Marky homer and you all know that. But Benning seems to agree and yet, he's still clearly the backup. He gets the back end of b2b's and when both have been available - Miller has been chosen most of the time. I don't mind Miller, I think he's fine when rested - but when are we going to see what we have in Marky? Otherwise we will be right back signing another expensive goalie in the summer.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This. Look, I'm a Marky homer and you all know that. But Benning seems to agree and yet, he's still clearly the backup. He gets the back end of b2b's and when both have been available - Miller has been chosen most of the time. I don't mind Miller, I think he's fine when rested - but when are we going to see what we have in Marky? Otherwise we will be right back signing another expensive goalie in the summer.

It's just so stupid.

They've just re-signed Markstrom long-term and Miller is a 36 y/o UFA. The team isn't very good. Unless Markstrom is absolutely crapping the bed (which hasn't been the case) he should be starting the majority of the games. To be doing anything different is completely nonsensical.

We're going to go into next year with Markstrom having played 30 games yet again and have no idea what we've got in him still. And then Benning is going to go out and spend $5 million on Cam Ward or something as a result.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
We're really piling on the AHL/replacement players. If a higher up player goes down we'll be hurting even more.

In:
Chaput
Grenier
Labate
Megna

Out:
Hansen
Baertschi
Skille
Dorsett

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I don't understand why we didn't pick up any skill players from the waiver wire. This management baffles me again and again

embee

Apr 29, 2011
You know, our record isn't all that bad, especially when compared to supposed "top notch" teams like Dallas.

And the fact that half our team is injured already.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You know, our record isn't all that bad, especially when compared to supposed "top notch" teams like Dallas.

We've actually been pretty healthy.

We're 25% of the way into the season and the only significant injuries have been Hansen (8 games) and Tanev (13 games).

The 4th line has been a war zone but all the bodies dropping there don't really make a ton of impact.

Basically our top 9 forwards and top 5 defenders have only had 1 guy out for half the time. That's about as good as it gets.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
When they say foot injury.. its usually all or nothing -- needs a day or 2 for soreness to subside due to taking a puck off of it... or 6-8 weeks for a hairline fracture.
Usually.

Hoping its simply swollen and sore.

What weird reverse of fortunes from last season when it was consistently our dmen getting picked off by injuries... (edit.. actually on second thought... it was everyone last yr)

We win anyway..
Keep the scoring up boys..

I had 2 hairline fractures in my foot a few months ago and only missed 1 say of work - to get x-rayed and see the Doc. No boot needed. I'm 54 yrs old - my job doesn't have the physical pressures that an NHL player has, but I'm hauling a 3yr old around everyday at home. These NHLers are too pampered!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

You know, this is the big illusion with the three-point NHL....despite just three regulation wins in 20 games, the Canucks record "really isn't all that bad"....no matter how badly you suck, the standings always say 'you're still in it"....this is Gary Bettman's preferred method of 'competitive balance'.....you can go on a nine game regulation losing streak like the Canucks, but hope will always spring eternal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You know, this is the big illusion with the three-point NHL....despite just three regulation wins in 20 games, the Canucks record "really isn't all that bad"....no matter how badly you suck, the standings always say 'you're still in it"....this is Gary Bettman's preferred method of 'competitive balance'.....you can go on a nine game regulation losing streak like the Canucks, but hope will always spring eternal.

Yup.

Our record last year doesn't look 'that' bad - 31-38-13. Only 7 games below .500!

But when you take out the OT losses that were just 'losses' under the old system and the SO wins that would have been ties, our actual record by 80s/90s rules was 25-47-10. A 60-point team.

And you see the same thing this year. Even though we only have 3 regulation wins in 20 games and the worst goal differential in the NHL ... we're only 3-4 points out of a playoff spot on account of all the loser points and free points we're accumulating.

And yeah, it's impossible to be that far out of a playoff spot at this point. 4 points out after 20 games projects to 16 points out after 82. To focus on this is to chase a mirage.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yup.

Our record last year doesn't look 'that' bad - 31-38-13. Only 7 games below .500!

But when you take out the OT losses that were just 'losses' under the old system and the SO wins that would have been ties, our actual record by 80s/90s rules was 25-47-10. A 60-point team.

And you see the same thing this year. Even though we only have 3 regulation wins in 20 games and the worst goal differential in the NHL ... we're only 3-4 points out of a playoff spot on account of all the loser points and free points we're accumulating.

And yeah, it's impossible to be that far out of a playoff spot at this point. 4 points out after 20 games projects to 16 points out after 82. To focus on this is to chase a mirage.
What people overlook is that we aren't just chasing the last playoff spots, we are also chasing them with a bunch of other outside teams. So we have to beat the last team and all the other chasers on hot streaks (ie that go on 7-2-1 or 6-2-2 streaks etc).

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Uh, in what universe is our record "not all that bad"?????

How about comparing to actual top notch teams like the Hawks and Habs?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Niemi starting today.
Pickard starting tomorrow.

We seriously need to count how many teams play their backups (even though I'm not sure if I'd consider Niemi to be Dallas' backup) against us. It's honestly ridiculous at this point.

embee

Apr 29, 2011
Holy ****. I try to say something positive and I get torn to shreds.

I know we suck, everyone knows we suck. I was trying to look on the bright side but apparently its all a bunch of sadists in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad