GDT: 11/19/15 "Duck And Don't Run" - Ducks VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think its time to shake this team up and needs to start with Gallant. The players aren't responding to him anymore and some of his player/line decisions are horrendous. I hope Broward forks over the money sooner then later cause the team is going to lose those extra 2,500 season ticket holders they got over the summer. Its sad when I can predict a lose before a game even starts.
We lost because of a PP goal, as well as a SH goal.

Hardly Gallant's fault, as much as I dislike him myself.

EstConf96*

Gallant is your scapegoat ?

I haven't seen Bjugstad, Jagr or Pirri trying for games and yet only a couple of guys around here call them out...

Our forwards aren't doing anything in general, defensively or offensively... They aren't willing to sacrifice !

It's been 5 games like that, and people still try to claim Gallant is the reason ?

I'm sincerely believing those kids don't care or don't have that much character...

Finally now, the only guy that can turn this franchise around get us on board !

Thank you Sasha !

Edit: Oooopppssss... Forgot I paused my stream to smoke, my comments where after the SH-goal and just as Barkov got his goal !

Well a successfull army/team needs a great general/coach so i do not think going after Gallant is that far off at this point.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

I haven't seen Bjugstad, Jagr or Pirri trying for games and yet only a couple of guys around here call them out...

Our forwards aren't doing anything in general, defensively or offensively... They aren't willing to sacrifice !

It's been 5 games like that, and people still try to claim Gallant is the reason ?

I'm sincerely believing those kids don't care or don't have that much character...

Thank you Sasha !

Edit: Oooopppssss... Forgot I paused my stream to smoke, my comments where after the SH-goal and just as Barkov got his goal !

He's not my scapegoat, but I do think he deserves some blame.

I agree with you Bjugstad and Pirri have been awful. They've been invisible. Bjugstad needs to start playing like he's actually as big as he is. He should be mandhandling guys in the corners and winning battles.

Pirri is another story. He's such an awful skater that he can't keep up with the play. His bread and butter is his one-timer on the PP but it's not getting it done. He's not an OV or Stamkos where the other team knows he's gonna shoot, but they can't do anything about it. He has a good shot but....that's all.

Jagr I give a pass. I don't think he's played bad. He's just older so I don't expect him to go 100mph the whole game. He has enough skill to compensate for that.

I thought this was Campbells worst game as a Panther. I'm starting to wonder if he's hurt or something. He had a bunch of turnovers, lazy plays, slow skating, etc. the complete opposite of what his game usually is.

Anyways, about what I expected tonight.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The team needs to play better

Randydropthemic.gif

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
New Jersey isn't making the playoffs. Take solace in the fact that despite the poor play they are at worst 2 back from Boston and 1 back of Detroit. They aren't even in a hole.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh

Thank you Sasha !

I don't care where the shake up happens. It just needs to happen. Whether it's the GM, coach or players.

We'll actually I'd prefer a number 1 forward, but then I'm afraid Gallant will **** him up.

flpanthers10

NHL to LAS VEGAS
Dec 24, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
We lost because of a PP goal, as well as a SH goal.

Hardly Gallant's fault.

Not trying to start an argument here. But have you watched how out of sync this team has been for the last month? Passes not connecting and players just not hustling. They lose most of the battles. Its bad when you can predict a goal coming because of their inability to make a simple puck clear their zone. I believe that falls on the shoulders of the coach and its an accountability issue. Its starts with the coach and trickles down the chain.

Your right, we did lose because of a PP goal (Players got beat and hooked his man) and SH goal came from an out of sync pass.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
New Jersey isn't making the playoffs. Take solace in the fact that despite the poor play they are at worst 2 back from Boston and 1 back of Detroit. They aren't even in a hole.
5on5 it wasn't a poor game at all, though there was moments near the end of the 1st & 2nd period where Ducks got some serious pressure going.

Lazy PP, lazy penalties (I know the Jagr holding penalty was weak, but he would have received a tripping penalty anyway) and a really brutal turnover on the PP by Bjugstad cost the game.

Not trying to start an argument here. But have you watched how out of sync this team has been for the last month? Passes not connecting and players just not hustling. They lose most of the battles. Its bad when you can predict a goal coming because of their inability to make a simple puck clear their zone. I believe that falls on the shoulders of the coach and its an accountability issue. Its starts with the coach and trickles down the chain.

Your right, we did lose because of a PP goal (Players got beat and hooked his man) and SH goal came from an out of sync pass.
We've looked a lot better recently.

flpanthers10

NHL to LAS VEGAS
Dec 24, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
5on5 it wasn't a poor game at all, though there was moments near the end of the 1st & 2nd period where Ducks got some serious pressure going.

Lazy PP, lazy penalties (I know the Jagr holding penalty was weak, but he would have received a tripping penalty anyway) and a really brutal turnover on the PP by Bjugstad cost the game.

No, we've making other teams look better is more a accurate statement. I defend this team to my last breath, but they aren't producing at all. Just imaging if Lu wasn't in net and we had some mediocre goalie in goal. You would be singing a different tune about this team.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
That game was ****ing gross... they have to simplify... shoot the ****ing puck. Get the puck deep.. hit someone and go to net.. that passing was disguating... jagr was ****ing terrible that game and made some aweful decisions... if your gonna turn your back to protect the puck expect to get hit or cross checked and don't cry to refs when u get knocked down...

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
That was one of the worst games I've ever been to. No energy, couldn't connect a pass, sloppy play, stupid decisions, overpassing, not shooting enough. Just awful. They wasted a great goaltending performance, again.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Where are my Florida Panthers from the first 4, 5 games of the season ?

THAT is what I was expecting this year...

:cry:

Not some half-hearted, scared and disorganize effort like we had for a month !

:cry:

Gallant should be suspected, maybe, if you like... But I'm tired of those short-cuts like "fire the coach", look at the Ducks, they are the prime example... They weren't winning at the start, everybody was screaming how Bourdeau is a frustrating coach and the players weren't responding to him anymore...

Boudreau isn't the guy making a pretty back-hand between the legs no-look pass in OT...

Just like Gallant isn't the guy making a pretty fumble off the stick on an ever important PP...

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
I've thought about it quite a bit, and I think I finally agree with the "it's not the coaches fault" crowd. I'm ready to pin this about to be lost season season on the players. Ever since they put themselves together as a group, started some of the most maddening line-ups ever, sat and started the wrong players and basically played most of the games with a terrible structure and game plan, I hope they feel bad when their coach and GM get canned for not making it to the playoffs. Again. They should be ashamed of cashing those fat checks.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Players are creatures of habit and it's contagious. Just like last year they won quite a few games by getting outworked in the first period (relying on Lu) and then outworking their opponents and gaining momentum down the stretch. Last game they got doubled in shots, and still win because of Lu. That game plan worked, so they figure we might as well keep it going. Against the Bolts they got outskilled and outshot. Against the Ducks they got outworked, intimidated, and outshot. Both games were similar in that the Cats can't break out of their own zone due to poor support and passing that leads to little puck control. Luck was with them against Tampa but not tonight.

Gallant chose to go big to match up against the Ducks and the team had a shot right up until the end thanks to Lu even though the Ducks won most of the one on one battles. It's amazing that smaller skilled teams can actually match up well with them and I think Chicago and Dallas will give them fits this year. If we actually had some small fast skill guys that could put the puck in the net, I think that would be the way to go against them. Unfortunately those players haven't developed at present. There was some mix and match during the 3rd that was interesting, so we'll see if any of that carries over against the Rangers. Hopefully the ego's will stay out of the way and they play as a team.

Vince, Nick, and Huby looked decent in the 3rd but I want to see Smith on that line in lieu of Huby. Vince was given the responsibility of distributing and they came close a few times. Smith gives them more of a finisher and adds speed, but I'd give my left arm to see Brick, Tro, and Nick. Ah, maybe next year. :)

I don't think Gallant and Tallon have much chemistry at this point as far as who should be here and who should be in the AHL. Coming out of the next 5 or 6 games at .500 will be an achievement.

Last edited:

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
They have to beat the bottom feeders and have success against the teams around their level, because against the top third of the league, they are getting dominated. The next two weeks could be ugly, but hopefully they can sneak a couple of wins.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

They've looked a lot better than they looked on the West Coast but they still aren't playing well, last year they dominated so many teams and this year they haven't played like that nearly as often.Where's the cycle gone?

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I didn't watch the game, but based on the last two games this team has two many passengers. It takes more than three players asserting control over a game (Ekblad, Barkov, Luongo) to win against any NHL team.

The horrific special teams is confounding. It should be better this year but its just as bad as last year. Theoretically, we have better players. So the fault there is on the coaches.

There has also been this disturbing trend where players are over passing the puck, passing poorly....also coaching. Need better puck support, more short passes.....

Basic problem with the team is that if Jagr and Campbell can't control the game what other veterans can ? Which of the young players can ? Just Barkov and Ekblad. Bjugstad can score goals but thats it. Trocheck can create and forecheck but thats it. Pirri can shoot but thats it. Howden can skate but thats it.

Too many older veterans like Bolland and Jokinen are not playing their roles right now. Too many young players aren't playing a complete game.

I think the blame has to go on the coaches. This team has parts but no one knows how to put it all together.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
The 3 game bump. We have to have the least amount of 3 or more wins in a row by a team in the last 15 years in the league by a far margin. I think we can count those 3 game win streaks on one hand

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
After every loss its always the same search for reasons why we cannot beat good teams and its just simply not being talented enough plain and simple. Only 2 players I would say are elite on this team and that's Luongo and Ekblad. Barkov is emerging but I will wait until the end of the year to see his full body of work but it looks like this will be his breakout year to put up some respectable numbers. Bjugstad has all the tools to be elite but he has to be one of the softest big men forwards I have ever seen. Could you imagine if Bjugs had Brickleys fire and agressiveness? He'd be a superstar. Bjugs should be dominating smaller players all the time but he plays like Ray Whitney out there trying to stick handle thru guys. Also why is it when bjugs receives a pass on the PP he has to take little strides to shoot rather than letting it go. That delay in shooting allows the goaltender to recover or a dman to get his stick to block his shot. I know wants to put some extra mustard on those shots with those strides but his shot is plenty hard and if just lets it go the instant he receives the puck he'd be more successful. Bjugs is a good player even with his soft on ice game but he belongs on the wing so the other not elite but good player Trocheck can play on the 2nd line at center. Trocheck is not a winger and he totally disappears playing on the wing. Did anyone notice him tonight? I sure didn't. Then you have Jagr and Huby. I love Jagr and I have a ton of respect for him but to be leaning on this guy at his age is just sad. On a good team I think he would be on a 3rd line, maybe 2nd and just think about it, a 43 old legend is the best RW we have in the entire organization and playing on the 1st line here. Then you got Huby. Our supposed best LW in the entire organization and time after time he loses puck battles on the boards. Yes he competes and has improved his defensive game but getting an A for trying isn't good enough. 1 goal this year. Tonight he could have scored 2 and nada.

I think some point and i mean sooner rather than later, the blue print has to be looked at objectively and we start critically thinking of what we got here. Are these the players to take us to the promise land or a core that will lead us to a Stanley cup one day like what Tallon did in Chicago. I say hell no. Not even close. The talent has to be upgraded here and start moving guys around and trading players and put together a new core because this one just simply sucks. Barkov and Ekblad are excellent core players. Luongo has some years of elite in him. When I see Bjugstad and Huby, I see an enigma whos not bad but doesnt play to full potential and the other a player who is nothing special. This team needs to course change before its too late.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
After every loss its always the same search for reasons why we cannot beat good teams and its just simply not being talented enough plain and simple. Only 2 players I would say are elite on this team and that's Luongo and Ekblad. Barkov is emerging but I will wait until the end of the year to see his full body of work but it looks like this will be his breakout year to put up some respectable numbers. Bjugstad has all the tools to be elite but he has to be one of the softest big men forwards I have ever seen. Could you imagine if Bjugs had Brickleys fire and agressiveness? He'd be a superstar. Bjugs should be dominating smaller players all the time but he plays like Ray Whitney out there trying to stick handle thru guys. Also why is it when bjugs receives a pass on the PP he has to take little strides to shoot rather than letting it go. That delay in shooting allows the goaltender to recover or a dman to get his stick to block his shot. I know wants to put some extra mustard on those shots with those strides but his shot is plenty hard and if just lets it go the instant he receives the puck he'd be more successful. Bjugs is a good player even with his soft on ice game but he belongs on the wing so the other not elite but good player Trocheck can play on the 2nd line at center. Trocheck is not a winger and he totally disappears playing on the wing. Did anyone notice him tonight? I sure didn't. Then you have Jagr and Huby. I love Jagr and I have a ton of respect for him but to be leaning on this guy at his age is just sad. On a good team I think he would be on a 3rd line, maybe 2nd and just think about it, a 43 old legend is the best RW we have in the entire organization and playing on the 1st line here. Then you got Huby. Our supposed best LW in the entire organization and time after time he loses puck battles on the boards. Yes he competes and has improved his defensive game but getting an A for trying isn't good enough. 1 goal this year. Tonight he could have scored 2 and nada.

I think some point and i mean sooner rather than later, the blue print has to be looked at objectively and we start critically thinking of what we got here. Are these the players to take us to the promise land or a core that will lead us to a Stanley cup one day like what Tallon did in Chicago. I say hell no. Not even close. The talent has to be upgraded here and start moving guys around and trading players and put together a new core because this one just simply sucks. Barkov and Ekblad are excellent core players. Luongo has some years of elite in him. When I see Bjugstad and Huby, I see an enigma whos not bad but doesnt play to full potential and the other a player who is nothing special. This team needs to course change before its too late.
Interesting thoughts about giving it a little more time, but I doubt waiving a magic wand would somehow produce a few players we could use as we don't have the talent other teams want in return. Have to hopefully get some more good players in the next few drafts that can fill in missing links to bring us a cup contender.

Tallon drafted big down the middle but he didn't get physical players. I don't think I've ever seen either one of them put a hit on someone and knock them down. You just can't change a guys temperament. Neither of them would ever drop the gloves to protect a teammate. Go no further than Rick Nash to see another big man who plays a soft game, although he can be goaded into physical play on occasion. That doesn't mean they don't use their size. Nick is very good at protecting the puck on breakaways or coming off the boards. He had an excellent game in the faceoff circle tonight and to my surprise I thought he looked very good with Trocheck on the wing in the 3rd. He deferred to Vince to drive possession and distribute which almost resulted in a couple of goals. Barkov knows how to use his size very well also to protect the puck and drive to the net. His timing is very good and he does get chances at tips and deflections that Nick could only dream about. It's just a matter of getting these guys with proper linemates at some point in the future that can actually shoot and score with consistency.

Even if we crap out and not make the playoffs, it's really something we should stomach for a few more drafts. I'm more than willing to do that than tear most of it down and start a rebuild.

Last edited:

EstConf96*

Interesting thoughts about giving it a little more time, but I doubt waiving a magic wand would somehow produce a few players we could use as we don't have the talent other teams want in return. Have to hopefully get some more good players in the next few drafts that can fill in missing links to bring us a cup contender.

Tallon drafted big down the middle but he didn't get physical players. I don't think I've ever seen either one of them put a hit on someone and knock them down. You just can't change a guys temperament. Neither of them would ever drop the gloves to protect a teammate. Go no further than Rick Nash to see another big man who plays a soft game, although he can be goaded into physical play on occasion. That doesn't mean they don't use their size. Nick is very good at protecting the puck on breakaways or coming off the boards. He had an excellent game in the faceoff circle tonight and to my surprise I thought he looked very good with Trocheck on the wing in the 3rd. He deferred to Vince to drive possession and distribute which almost resulted in a couple of goals. Barkov knows how to use his size very well also to protect the puck and drive to the net. His timing is very good and he does get chances at tips and deflections that Nick could only dream about. It's just a matter of getting these guys with proper linemates at some point in the future that can actually shoot and score with consistency.

Even if we crap out and not make the playoffs, it's really something we should stomach for a few more drafts. I'm more than willing to do that than tear most of it down and start a rebuild.

I like your optimism but i sure hope we can turn it around without having to put all the cards on the draft and put a good team around Ekblad and Barkov rather sooner than later. Would be a shame if they have to spend the best years like Bure here in south Florida.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I like your optimism but i sure hope we can turn it around without having to put all the cards on the draft and put a good team around Ekblad and Barkov rather sooner than later. Would be a shame if they have to spend the best years like Bure here in south Florida.
We'll have to get in a ridiculous bidding war to get anybody decent in UFA, and to me it's not worth it unless it's to replace Soup. Both of those guys are just babes, so I would be disappointed also if we couldn't somehow put a cup contender on the ice in 5 years and at least a decent playoff team in 3. A trade would require multiple current core and a #1 draft pick to get a scoring wing who may or may not work out. This is the route that I fear ownership will take as they begin to panic as losses will continue to plague the franchise. Who knows, it may work but I wouldn't bet on it.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

This. We are far from out of it. Unfortunately Pirri seems to have disappeared. He and Bjugstad really need to get it going. No excuses. Them getting back to normal would help things greatly and make us a much better team. Pirri has his limitations for sure, but he's better than this. I don't think canning Gallant right now is the answer. When Guy Bucher is your savior, you've got problems.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
This. We are far from out of it. Unfortunately Pirri seems to have disappeared. He and Bjugstad really need to get it going. No excuses. Them getting back to normal would help things greatly and make us a much better team. Pirri has his limitations for sure, but he's better than this. I don't think canning Gallant right now is the answer. When Guy Bucher is your savior, you've got problems.

And we do. Almost too many to mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad