Post-Game Talk: 11/16/17 | VGK 5 @ Canucks 2

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Brutal, so sick of it.

This team will not make the playoffs and these mediocre veterans will not change that outlook any time soon.
Yup.

The reality of the situation is that we're in need of two to three more elite prospects. Another top pairing defense prospect with major offensive upside, and then two more top six forward prospects. We've got a good glut of middle six prospects/young players and bottom four d prospects/young players, but you can't win a cup without having elite offensive producers.

I'm glad that the team is playing hard and is enjoyable to watch now, but the place we're at doesn't have a long term benefit for the team. Goldobin in the AHL, and Virtanen on the bench. These are two guys who need to be in the lineup consistently by the trade deadline... but they won't be. Who the f*** is going to want Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner, Dorsett's contracts? Why would Benning trade Vanek when he's trying to prove to ownership that there can be some improvement. He's only delaying the inevitable.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I hope the empty seats at Rogers multiply.

Who really wants to watch a collection of soft, slow, mediocre veterans who are not good enough to win anything.

the way i see it gaunce has scooped 8 minutes from virtanen and another 8 minutes off the slow veterans. so you are actually seeing more young guys without virtanen than with him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
giphy.gif

:laugh: now THAT takes talent lol

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
the way i see it gaunce has scooped 8 minutes from virtanen and another 8 minutes off the slow veterans. so you are actually seeing more young guys without virtanen than with him.

That's awesome, I wonder if we will see A goal this year from Gaunce. And the coach says Jake has to move his feet.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I do
gaunce doesn't need goals to be elite. gillis drafted him.

I don't care who drafted him, he needs to do more than take tripping penalties that cost his team a goal to replace Virtanen in the line up. Jake for the most part, played pretty well in his limited opportunities, ice time wise and with two aging players that cant skate with him. Gaunce has made little or no impact. Granlund was more noticable on the Sutter line.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Jake isn’t really bringing any offense to the table either. It’s a pretty negligible difference offensively, and even physically. Gaunce is the more responsible player and a better penalty killer.

Virtanen definitely has higher upside, but in terms of winning right now I don’t think he’s the better option.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Crazy busy lately, having moved and started a new job. Having a really good time now though!

8-3 Nucks. Go Nucks!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Difficult not to expect a blowout in this one. Roof is caving in on Vegas after their hot start due to their goalie situation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yup.

The reality of the situation is that we're in need of two to three more elite prospects. Another top pairing defense prospect with major offensive upside, and then two more top six forward prospects. We've got a good glut of middle six prospects/young players and bottom four d prospects/young players, but you can't win a cup without having elite offensive producers.

I'm glad that the team is playing hard and is enjoyable to watch now, but the place we're at doesn't have a long term benefit for the team. Goldobin in the AHL, and Virtanen on the bench. These are two guys who need to be in the lineup consistently by the trade deadline... but they won't be. Who the **** is going to want Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner, Dorsett's contracts? Why would Benning trade Vanek when he's trying to prove to ownership that there can be some improvement. He's only delaying the inevitable.
All 4 guys will require retention to be traded. So, all but Loui realistically are tradeable, just a matter of how much the Canucks can retain.

Have one spot open for this year and another one opens up next season when Hansen's comes off.

Sutter at $3 million per in cap would draw some interest. Dorset at $1.75 would as well. Gagner, hard to say for now.

When you overpay, you have to retain. No different than trying to move the twins. All of the vets pretty much require retention which just shows how bad their contracts are.

I think of all guys 27 and over, tanev wouldn't need retention. Edler, probably not either.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more Zac Dalpe!!

Waived today by CLB - who's with me!??

Reactions: Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Did somebody say... raise your dalpers?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more Zac Dalpe!!

Waived today by CLB - who's with me!??

Since he'd be picked off waivers the Canucks would be agreeing to put him on their roster. So if it means Jake is sent down to make the room, I'd buy into it. He is not getting a lot of game time anyways so he'd be better off playing every game in the AHL and making the Canucks have to bring him back. It would all be on him then. The Comets can't handle ANOTHER guy who would have veteran status.

I guess Gaunce would suffice, but he has to clear waivers himself first. LOL

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Vegas might surprise folks. Canucks have been known to under rate weak teams. They cannot coast through this one!
Agreed Vegas have good depth not pushovers. If their goaltending holdsup it will be a close game. Not like the Canucks score a lot. Maybe Ericksson and Sedins keep good play going. I still think Jake should be tried in defensive role on Sutter line. His skating and quickness is elite now that he is in shape. He should be getting pk training either here or in Utica. If you are not a pp player you need to be a pk player

Reactions: JuniorNelson

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The goalie situation is certainly affecting Vegas but make no mistake they are a hard working team. They don't stop moving their feet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad