GDT: 11-14-2017 Canucks at Kings 7:30 PST, FSW; Game #18

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
IMO, our lack of center depth is showing in our inability to transition out of our zone. Notice that we don't get hemmed in when Kopitar is responsible for receiving the outlet pass, because he works to make himself open and accessible. Compare that to Kempe/Amadio who are no where to be found. The bottom 9's tendency to blow out of our zone for the stretch pass is forcing our D to make terrible passed (not to mention that the D already makes terrible passes on their own).

Getting Jokinen on the bottom 6 might help this, he has good possession stats. Getting Gaborik back may help as well, a bit more experienced winger. Carter's absence will be sorely felt though.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Our shooting percentage has now fallen below the league average. Back to where we've been for the past few years.
The losses suck but even with them we're still in first place. We're now at a sustainable winning percentage,which is still a 108 point pace.
The San Jose game we should have won. Jones stood on his head and stole the game. We're just use to being on the other side of that.
Sadly the best thing that could maybe happen is a road trip but we've got to survive till we get there at the end of the month.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
IMO, our lack of center depth is showing in our inability to transition out of our zone. Notice that we don't get hemmed in when Kopitar is responsible for receiving the outlet pass, because he works to make himself open and accessible. Compare that to Kempe/Amadio who are no where to be found. The bottom 9's tendency to blow out of our zone for the stretch pass is forcing our D to make terrible passed (not to mention that the D already makes terrible passes on their own).

Getting Jokinen on the bottom 6 might help this, he has good possession stats. Getting Gaborik back may help as well, a bit more experienced winger. Carter's absence will be sorely felt though.
I agree about the B6 rushing up ice without giving a thought that maybe the D needs someone to help them out. not so sure about Kempe, as many have pointed out he seems like a natural at the wing but is needed at C. Amadio im not sure is centering any line but the few times i saw him coming back to help the D he had a defender on his back while the other F's were ahead of the play. There needs to be much better communication between the guys because it seems like they're just scrambling when pushed..

Last edited:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
It would be nice if Stevens instructed the bottom 6 to play pure Sutter style hockey, and to only allow the top 6 to be creative and controlled entries and taking rush chances. If the bottom 6 can only keep possession down low and forecheck like this team used to do in the Sutter days, we will be a lot better defensively and offensively.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It would be nice if Stevens instructed the bottom 6 to play pure Sutter style hockey, and to only allow the top 6 to be creative and controlled entries and taking rush chances. If the bottom 6 can only keep possession down low and forecheck like this team used to do in the Sutter days, we will be a lot better defensively and offensively.

The "fourth line" earlier this season was the best of both worlds there, totally dominant. I miss our problem simply being the third line's identity :( CLifford-Shore-Lewis is a f***ing force and exactly what we need.

Our top six is fine, it's our bottom six that doesn't have the ability to play this version of the game, I agree with you. Our top six suffered from Sutter hockey, our bottom six (due to injuries, mostly) is suffering from Stevens hockey. And our defense is getting punished for it because they are looking pretty shaky after a solid start.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
now that Cammy is gone maybe a slight realignment is in order to better help the defense... obviously losing Carts is starting to take a toll but hopefully Gaborik can he that 3rd line soon along with Jokinen.. maybe something like this when Carts gets back
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Carter-Toffoli
Pearson-Jokinen-Gaborik
Clifford-Shore-Lewis
but for now im ok with what we've been rolling except AA who just isn't an NHL player....
Iafallo-Kopitar-Toffoli
Pearson-Kempe-Brown
Jokinen-Shore-Lewis
Crescenzi-Laich-Amadio
AA

Last edited:

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
The "fourth line" earlier this season was the best of both worlds there, totally dominant. I miss our problem simply being the third line's identity :( CLifford-Shore-Lewis is a ****ing force and exactly what we need.

Our top six is fine, it's our bottom six that doesn't have the ability to play this version of the game, I agree with you. Our top six suffered from Sutter hockey, our bottom six (due to injuries, mostly) is suffering from Stevens hockey. And our defense is getting punished for it because they are looking pretty shaky after a solid start.

Ugh, that Clifford Shore Lewis line was really great :help:

Exactly the kind of presence we need in the bottom 6 right now. Responsible hockey that stays out of our own end.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I don't get the AA hate on this board. The guy is not a scorer and is not expected to be a scorer. So even if he gets 0 goals, no one should be hating on him. The good thing about AA is that he is physical, can stick up for his teammates, and unlike other bottom 6 forwards, he can actually drive the play from defense to offense and enter the offensive zone with control of the puck.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I don't get the AA hate on this board. The guy is not a scorer and is not expected to be a scorer. So even if he gets 0 goals, no one should be hating on him. The good thing about AA is that he is physical, can stick up for his teammates, and unlike other bottom 6 forwards, he can actually drive the play from defense to offense and enter the offensive zone with control of the puck.

There is no hate AB just facts... AA doesn't warrant playing time over laich, Amadio, the concession stand vendors and others..
if AA played a game similar to KC then he would be of use but he doesn't and the fact is he lacks the IQ needed to thrive in that role... stop with that non sense in bold.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
There is no hate AB just facts... AA doesn't warrant playing time over laich, Amadio, the concession stand vendors and others..
if AA played a game similar to KC then he would be of use but he doesn't and the fact is he lacks the IQ needed to thrive in that role... stop with that non sense in bold.

I disagree. Laich and Amadio have been susceptible of being pinned down in the D zone the past several games. AA is better than these players at getting out of the D zone with control of the puck. From our bottom 6, I would say only Lewis and Shore are better than AA in this aspect of the game. Laich, Dowd, and Amadio, on the other hand, cannot get out of the D zone or sustain much play in the offensive zone.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Maybe he "can" but he doesn't and never has. He's regularly been the bottom of the team by the eye test AND the metrics and that's with by far the softest deployment and zone starts on the team. And it's not just not scoring, he's very clearly a defensive liability as well. You can say he's miscast and I'll agree with that, but statistically he's the worst forward we've had in years. When I see him I still see some untapped potential--he's got potentially good hands and skating, he's spirited--but the results speak for themselves and they say 'garrrrbaaaaage.' It's not just about not scoring, it's zero identity, though to his credit he's finally gotten some people to drop the gloves with him at least. He's not smart/fast enough to get in on the forecheck and hit, and when he does, they're largely useless hits (puck is gone, not good enough hitter to drop anyone, doesn't win the battle he initiates, need I go one?).

Yes, I hate him. Unapologetically. He's one of the rare ones who absolutely deserves it from just about every angle. Average size, average speed, low IQ, no offense, no defense, can throw a few punches with the very few welterweights in the league.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I disagree. Laich and Amadio have been susceptible of being pinned down in the D zone the past several games. AA is better than these players at getting out of the D zone with control of the puck. From our bottom 6, I would say only Lewis and Shore are better than AA in this aspect of the game. Laich, Dowd, and Amadio, on the other hand, cannot get out of the D zone or sustain much play in the offensive zone.

They're all different shades of terrible, I'll agree with you there.

But arguing our #13 forward is better than our #14 and #15 forwards and the poor rookie who is forced to play a few minutes a night with them isn't really compelling reason to not dislike AA. At the very least Laich is actually good on the boards and hits effectively and can do some things defensively even if he's a black hole offensively. Dowd has some vision and is sadly one of the best on the roster at moving the puck off the boards into play for us, and has thrown two of our biggest hits this year, it's unfortunate he's bad at most everything else. But the three of them playing together is a special layer of hell reserved only for the Kings fans who had the pleasure of seeing similar lines play in the 2000s.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Heres my thing and it makes me furious...
AA got what 13-13-12 min the last few games and is paired at times with the 2nd line for various reasons, my problem is those minutes should be going to Amadio if he's to develop properly or else send him down, Laich is also much better than AA and if you can't see that im sorry.. we've seen Laich create some pretty good plays when paired with Shore and Lewis and Dowd is Ok... but give any of those guys the time AA gets and Id bet we'd get much better production.. You stated AA fights, standds up for teammates and what not but he doesn't even do taht great of a job at that... he's like that running joke, " You had one job to do but..." he sucks at it... I think with Jokinen it will be easier to establish the B6 pairing in a more effective manner...
We know Laich-Shore-Lewis have chemistry , the problem is integrating the other guys.. Aa, Amadio, Cresi, Dowd... maybe tinker with it and surround the rook with vets, and/ or Dowd with Shore-Lewis
Dowd-Shore-Lewis
Laich-Amadio-Jokinen

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Two powerplay goals given up, and the lone even strength goal given up by your bottom six line and bottom pairing dmen. The only bottom six forward to generate more than 1 shot on goal last night was Lewis, which shows they didn't have the puck much or do much of anything if/when they did have it.

You also had Alec Martinez leading the team in turnovers last night, and the team went in shutdown mode after gaining the lead, which has happened in two consecutive games now.

Bad habits are creeping in, and I feel like the Kings are starting to resemble a one-line team.

We went from experiencing the ultimate high with the exciting game against the Ducks, to experiencing quite a few lows of late with these unacceptable performances against division rivals in the Sharks and Canucks. Two games they should have won, and valuable points squandered.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Carter is out, his replacement has 2 points in 7 games.
Lewis was scoring like a top 6 player, now he's not.
4th line was awesome with Clifford, then he got hurt.
We already have what? 6? guys that have made their nhl debut this year and we're not even 20 games into the season.
Iafallo is on the top line and has 1 goal on the season. Don't get me wrong, he's been great but he has to start producing more in that role.

All of these things are completely understandable, expected even, but this is a large part of why we are where we are.

On the bright side Kopitar and Brown have been en fuego and we're still in first in the division. Plenty of time to right the ship, they weren't ever going to go 72-10, especially with Carter out.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Rosen pointed out that even hour high-danger scoring chance shooting % was nearly dead last in the NHL in this stretch. So something's gotta give on the luck front at least. Our play tanked as well as our luck. I think both will turn around soon, and hopefully it's just normal ebbs-and-flows.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, and I like that. They can't hide behind coaching, they can't hide behind anything. Kopi is a good captain even if he's soft spoken, he always takes the whole team upon himself and this year it means that much more since he's top echelon in scoring. That's leadership.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad