Post-Game Talk: #11 - 11/05/21 | RANGERS @ oilers | 9:30 - MSG PLUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think a lot of you are right on the points you're making about where to play Kakko and Georgiev's struggles.

1) It's clear as day that Kakko doesn't fit with Panarin and Strome. He doesn't fit the identity of a Strome cover forward (Goodrow/Fast) or a designated play finisher (Kravtsov). Just doesn't work. He needs to be with a group where he can cycle and use his strength on the boards.

2) Chytil seems to work best on a north-south line with the grinders. I think that's an interesting little data point to consider going forward- he may simply be at his best in a 3C role with guys like Blais and Goodrow long term.

3) Lundkvist's best game as a Ranger, though he's still getting Zac Jones level sheltered minutes.

4) Georgiev hasn't been the same since the incident. In his first few years he was inconsistent, but on balance quite good. Now he's one of the worst in the league. Kinkaid has earned the next game that calls for a backup.

5) There's a very hard decision to be made about where Lafreniere fits in this current lineup. If he wasn't a 1OA pick, he'd be in Hartford right now. He probably still should be.
Chytil and Kakko have shown chemistry. Maybe Blais Chytil Kakko

Georgiev has been ass before the incident. Ever since the covid break he has been ass.

Laf is really bad in our zone. He's making bad plays with the puck. If he cleans it up he'd be ok. I think that's the main reason he was taken away from Chytil and Blais. All 3 of them together is a disaster waiting to happen. Considering he only wants to play or feels comfortable at 'LW', he's the one to move down to the 4th

Lundkvist + Kravtsov stonks on the rise. Hopefully by the end of the season their value is sky high

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
There's really not many good line combinations I can see with the group of players on the roster. Goodrow isn't a good fit on either of the 1st or 2nd line, quite frankly he should probably be centering the 4th line. Rooney made a bigger impact at 5v5 last night than Goodrow has all season. Kakko I guess could move up to the top line, maybe with Hunt on the 2nd line as the forechecker/defensive presence. Keep Rooney-Chytil-Blais. Lafreniere-Goodrow-Reaves/McKegg.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
There's really not many good line combinations I can see with the group of players on the roster. Goodrow isn't a good fit on either of the 1st or 2nd line, quite frankly he should probably be centering the 4th line. Rooney made a bigger impact at 5v5 last night than Goodrow has all season. Kakko I guess could move up to the top line, maybe with Hunt on the 2nd line as the forechecker/defensive presence. Keep Rooney-Chytil-Blais. Lafreniere-Goodrow-Reaves/McKegg.
Roster construction is based on Laf and Kakko taking the next step.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
At this point, Kakko is always the 1st forward back on defense. He's the 'Center' of that line in a traditional sense. How about we put someone else on that wing with limited offensive capabilities? Goodrow or even Hunt would work.

Panarin and Strome go East West ALL DAY unless Kakko is on the other side of the ice... then... 'it's too risky'.

OR

we break up Strome and Panarin. It's not working.... and I'd put Kreider back on the right where he's scoring off the rush with his snap shot and speed.

Panarin Zibs Kreider
Blais Strome Kakko
Laffy Chytil Goodrow
Hunt Rooney Reaves
-

Panarin Zib Strome. Let the big sistas play footsy together.
Kreider Chytil Kakko.
Laffy Goodrow Blais
Hunt Rooney Reaves

Reactions: skipmowerman

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I'm amazed at how much we panic with the puck in our own zone. There's still no 'structure' in getting the puck out. There's still limited to no puck support. Once again, a lot of that comes to our centers. They just aren't good enough. Playing center is a lot more than putting up points and offense.

Is it time to try
KAM Fox
Lindgren Trouba
to help mitigate the puck moving issues?

lost in all of this, Lundkvist had his best game as a Ranger and Chytil had his best game of the season.

Oh hell no! WTF has Miller done to deserve that spot? Why drop an anchor on your speed boat?

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
Hunt can’t play on the 2nd or 1st line as this guy just DOES NOT PASS THE FREAKIN PUCK EVER!,,

Reactions: Richard Banger

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's McDavid he's like the modern Mario. I think only 2 or 3 of those goals were really on Georgie. he played pretty good, but Edmonton is just so big and fast and full of talent and they are better than us. And we almost beat them, brought them to OT. Not a bad performance by the Rangers considering the opponent. We scored 5 goals

LOL First of all 2 or 3 goals being on you is enough to call it a horrible game. Second, try four.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have a feeling that Georgiev may be waived (he would probably be selected) in the next few days. Kinkaid is a serviceable backup. May depend on when Wall is ready to play.

I'd love that but I get this feeling he's going to be another coach's pet where the guy sucks but is loved by the coach for no reason other than perceived hard work.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
5387496921001_6153530042001_6153528031001-vs-385x385.jpg

Tough loss, everyone. Really, I couldn't have done it any worse if I were the coach.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
We shouldn't have to be talking about how many other players our #2 and #1 overall picks can't play with. They should be good enough to still be good. What a depressing thing.

Reactions: RagFinMet

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I have more than a small amount concern that the back end (with the exception of Fox) is regressing from last year. Paging Jacques Martin.
It seems like we've move to a much more aggressive man on man defense. There's major growing pains typically.

I remember Washington struggling for around half of the season when Laviolette got there. It looks like chaos in our own zone. No one knows what their teammate will do. That comes with more experience, or at least we'd hope.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
The lines are bad. Goodrow on the first line doesn't work, Kakko with Panarin doesn't work. That should be an easy change.

There are two things wrong: there's no forecheck to speak of and they get pinned in their own zone chasing the puck around. These are the same problem. They chase the puck around and then are tired and have to dump and change, thus no forecheck. This is generally how the first 20 or so games of a new man-to-man system are. Does anyone remember the first half of 13-14? It was exactly like this, that team got pummeled in their own zone until like mid-January.

That said, they still win this game with an NHL goaltender in net lol

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If it was a man getting the same response there would be nothing made of it, everyone wants equality and then when they are treated the same they whine about it. I love Mollie but she shouldn't expect any different treatment than anyone else.

agree completely and I doubt Molly wants to be treated any different than anyone else. If gallant “sweethearted” her instead of giving it to her like he would any one else. That to me would be disrespectful

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I saw the same thing. All they needed was a power play, and they got themselves going. Oilers will never be out of a game this year with an offense like that.

OUR pp got them going, it was all downhill after that shitty pp we had.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Not sure if it’s mental or physical but Georgiev is not an nhl caliber goalie at this point. He looks incredibly shaky almost like he can’t see the puck and just is hoping it hits him. Even pretty basic saves he doesn’t really catch cleanly and let’s awful rebounds off. Doesn’t need to be said but with shesterkin in net we win this game. Probably even with an average or worse backup like kinkaid. Given how close the division will be, having a backup like this may cost us a playoff spot

Reactions: Tob and duhmetreE

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly, my biggest takeaway from last night is that the sooner Hunt is out of the lineup and Reaves is back in, the better.

And, can we stop lazy stick-checking superstars, please? Part of this "get tough" movement should be checking these guys instead of getting undressed by them.
I thought Hunt was one of the guys setting a strong physical tone. He wasn’t poke checking. I felt good with him on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad