• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
That is one area where our situation is different. Both the Mrs and I work for an organization with a great pension, and both have over 35 yrs in. Now we have been paying a lot into it, but we could both retire with 60%+ salary tomorrow. I will definitely retire somewhere between late this year and 2025. Great option since I don't turn 60 until later this year.

I am not waiting until I turn 65-67 to retire. I have 4 1/2 years until 62. I was at my prior job for 32 years and will have a pension from them. Add into the profit sharing from my current job and my current 401k we should be fine. Wife has a state job so she has to wait longer

Reactions: achdumeingute

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
1677371760962.png

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That is one area where our situation is different. Both the Mrs and I work for an organization with a great pension, and both have over 35 yrs in. Now we have been paying a lot into it, but we could both retire with 60%+ salary tomorrow. I will definitely retire somewhere between late this year and 2025. Great option since I don't turn 60 until later this year.
Good to see!

I unfortunately worked for an entrepreneur for many years and now working for myself so no pension coming my way. But with RRSP, money in the bank, and no mortgage, I currently can survive for 35 years at my current living rate. And given that I am 50, still lots of years to bank money.

The wife works for the gov't so she is in good hands pension wise. And her being 42, the 2 of us should be fine. Nice having that feeling at this age.

Reactions: Lord Defect

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You ain't kidding...I mean when you're buried in debt why risk even more dating or a 50/50 chance of a a successful marriage.

Buy a house
Get a female "roommate"
Get her to sign that she has no rights to the house
Charge her rent while also also have a fcuk buddy
Do relationship things you want to do...like trips, dinner out...split 50/50
Don't do relationships things you don't want to do...like her friends weddings, family gatherings
Tell her repeatedly your feeling won't change
Do this for 7 years
Reap the rewards

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
You ain't kidding...I mean when you're buried in debt why risk even more dating or a 50/50 chance of a a successful marriage.

and not to mention the very real possibility of that marriage ending even without the man 'cheating' and then losing the house and paying more money out of pocket to support their ex and then having to find a new place to live for themselves and pay even more money because of that.

I have a cousin who actually had his wife cheat on him, (he did not cheat) and she still ended up with the right to live in the house even when he owned the house completely in his name before they even married.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
and not to mention the very real possibility of that marriage ending even without the man 'cheating' and then losing the house and paying more money out of pocket to support their ex and then having to find a new place to live for themselves and pay even more money because of that.

I have a cousin who actually had his wife cheat on him, (he did not cheat) and she still ended up with the right to live in the house even when he owned the house completely in his name before they even married.
My buddy from HS who I just visited in Atlanta had his wife outright leave him and 3 kids after 19 years of marriage. He is forking over alimony till 2030 because she didn't work. He gave her his 401k but kept the house because heck he needed it for the kids she left with him to support. They are mostly out of the house though..2 of 3 in college now. The other a junior in HS. Luckily they aren't young children. He is dating somebody now and I told him to just do the being together but living apart deal. Remarrying at age 50 and risking a 2nd divorce is like Russian roulette to me. But he is kind of conservative and thinks that is wokeism and a way for people to have the option to leave when they want. I was like dude...that option is there regardless..your ex wife is exhibit A. I hope it works out if he does remarry...bc then if it doesn't and you are in your 60's and divorce a 2nd time you will never be able to retire.

Last edited:

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
My buddy from HS who I just visited in Atlanta had his wife outright leave him and 3 kids after 19 years of marriage. He is forking over alimony till 2030 because she didn't work. He gave her his 401k but kept the house because heck he needed it for the kids she left with him to support. They are mostly out of the house though..2 of 3 in college now. The other a junior in HS. Luckily they aren't young children. He is dating somebody now and I told him to just do the being together but living apart deal. Remarrying at age 50 and risking a 2nd divorce is like Russian roulette to me. But he is kind of conservative and thinks that is wokeism and a way for people to have the option to leave when they want. I was like dude...that option is there regardless..your ex wife is exhibit A. I hope it works out if he does remarry...bc then if it doesn't and you are in your 60's and divorce a 2nd time you will never be able to retire.
After 25 years and raising kids plus raising the ex. I like not having to be responsible for someone elses bs. or get blamed for the stupid things they do

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
After 25 years and raising kids plus raising the ex. I like not having to be responsible for someone elses bs. or get blamed for the stupid things they do
I bailed on my last gf because her lousy decisions were constantly becoming my problems to figure out for her. She lacked big girl pants....I have enough on my plate with my dad's passing taking care of everything for my mom and my brother who lacks big boy pants. Girl I am just getting to know now looks more like a legit potential partnership but we'll see....

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Just secured my Depeche Mode tix for Oct 25th...lookin forward. Only Philly date...
I was shocked to see they have made 8 albums since Violator. I can't name one song after that album though. Saw them twice back in the day. Back then it was strange to see a.band without a drummer or bass.

• Love
Reactions: kudymen and Embiid

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I was shocked to see they have made 8 albums since Violator. I can't name one song after that album though. Saw them twice back in the day. Back then it was strange to see a.band without a drummer or bass.
They've had some good hits after Violator but Violator was their peak at least from a mainstream perspective. When Gahan was all drugged out they released songs of faith and devotion...too melancholic after Violator but then they picked up again but never to the level of their 80's hits. They have been putting out albums since 1979-1980. They entered the Rock n Roll Hall of fame a few years ago which was great to see since Andrew Fletcher died soon after...

Their new album releases in March .The first single they released so far is pretty good...

I attended their Violator tour in Philly...it was awesome.

Last edited:

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE

On Songs of Faith and Devotion, their song, "In Your Room," ranks up there with anything they've ever done. "Walking In My Shoes" is also pretty good.

Reactions: Embiid and kudymen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad