Prospect Info: 108th overall (4th round) Ben Harpur (D) from the Guelph Storm

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Big guys like that are somewhat gambles but we can afford to take those gambles with our organizational depth! If they pan out, they really pan out so nice to see Murray take some "risks".

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
I am a London Knights fan and live in London so I know this guy very well and this will tell you something. Whenever Harpur stepped on the I've I got scared to death. He hits so hard, skates so well, mobile, versatility, range and so much. He is the big defenseman we have needed for so long. Remember this name everyone. Ben Harpur

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I am a London Knights fan and live in London so I know this guy very well and this will tell you something. Whenever Harpur stepped on the I've I got scared to death. He hits so hard, skates so well, mobile, versatility, range and so much. He is the big defenseman we have needed for so long. Remember this name everyone. Ben Harpur

I think you're going a bit overboard. I'm from Guelph, watched him 15+ times this year. He's going to be a solid player, but he's no Chris Pronger.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
I think you're going a bit overboard. I'm from Guelph, watched him 15+ times this year. He's going to be a solid player, but he's no Chris Pronger.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, my father actually has season tickets to the Storm too and loves the pick. Lets just wait and see but the potential is huge

Last edited:

simplefan

May 25, 2008

Is he as good as Samuel Morin?

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
We are all entitled to our own opinions, my father actually ha season tickets to the Storm too and loves the pick. Lets just wait and see but the potential is huge

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the pick too. I just kinda disagree about his ceiling.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Is he as good as Samuel Morin?

Both he and Morin are 2 different players. Morin will be close to Tyler Myers if not better than Tyler Myers. Morin has potential to be a franchise defenseman in this league. I doubt he will regress like Myers but I am sure Myers can remedy that.

Ben Harpur to me is yes no Chris Pronger To me he might be just like a Jonathon Ericsson. That big defenseman who can shut down the top lines on the other teams, great skater, mobility, range, defensive positioning and has some offensive potential, at best can score up to 5 goals a year. If Harpurs stats were better to me this kid could of went as high as the 2nd Round. Harpur only had 3 goals and 12 assists. He has great raw potential that could translate him into a solid top 4 defenseman in the future. I don't know when Harpur makes it to the NHL, it could be up to 4 years. But if he can reach his potential he can become a great Defensive Shut Down Defenseman like a Jonathon Ericsson and have some young Chris Phillips in him.

If he could get a little more offense in him than his chances of being a future top 4 defenseman are huge, but if not at best he makes the NHL or has a chance to as a top 6 defenseman. But the thing about Harpur and Morin is intriguing, Morin only had 1 more point than Harpur, and it was only 1 more goal so that should tell you a little something that maybe he has some Morin in him too, you never know in this business

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Sens scout Greg Royce offered up his thoughts and projections for Ben Harpur after the Sens selected him 108th overall. Here's what he had to say...

On Harpur:

Ben's a big body, a defensive defenceman who plays a shutdown role for Guelph, he's pretty raw. It was his first year in the league last year, he really improved after Christmas. He's really coming into his own, he's learning to be more assertive, using his size more and as that comes forward I think he'll be able to handle the puck a little bit more and his confidence will grow.

On how he projects:

I think he's going to project in the future as a complimentary defenceman in the 5-7 role. Defensive guy, stay at home and move the puck and use his size to his advantage.

Homerun?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't like this pick.

He always steals my kisses.

Did it t happen when you pulled into Nashville Tennessee

Ben+Harper.jpg

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Good site with reliable analysis.

31. Ben Harpur - Defenseman - Guelph Storm
Harpur is a hulking defenseman who was much better in the second half of the season than he was the first. That sort of progression has to be encouraging. In the second half, he looked much more comfortable handling the puck (especially in his own end) and really improved his breakout pass. Defensively, he looked more confident using physical force, in addition to his long reach, to break up plays. By the end of the season, he looked more comfortable in his role as a shutdown type of defenseman. He certainly has the size to be a force in his own end. His skating is a bit of an issue, but it's not awful, especially for a defender of his size. He'll just need to work on his lateral and backwards agility in order to become a more reliable defender off the rush. And obviously, he'll also need to continue to get stronger and become more of a physical force, especially in front of his net. But I think he's trending upwards.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2013_7198.html

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Very encouraging. Switching from forward to defense at the beginning of his OHL career was a huge gamble. He could be one of those guys, if he's allowed to spend at least 3 seasons in Bingo (after his OHL career), could turn into a solid 4-5 guy. Who cares about points....if he can be a nasty brick wall in the defensive end, he'll be a valuable asset to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad