Prospect Info: 108th overall (4th round) Ben Harpur (D) from the Guelph Storm

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Stephen Harper has a kid named Ben. This pick is nothing more than garnering political favour with our almighty ruler.

I hope he has the mean to go with the size

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Oh my God I actually love this pick. I actually like this guy before he even broke into the away chill with the Guelph storm. He is a big player. Some people compared him to Chris Pronger. He is so big and has potential to grow into a solid top 4 defenseman. This is a pick Ottawa will not regret. I absolutely love this pick people have no idea how good this guy can become. He has loads of potential. I have watched this kid for 2 years and he is a great character guy. He does whatever you ask, hit, score, fight, block shots. This guy really reminds me of Paul Martin. He's that good and the fact we just drafted him is so Epic!! I'm that happy. You guys will love this player. I have raved about him for 2 years and now he's on my favorite team

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Found a brief mention of him in a sportsnet article.....

Nick Kypreos:
Even though I thought Pedan was the best player on the ice on either side I kept coming back to watching a rookie who was playing in his first OHL game, Ben Harpur. The Niagara-on-the-Lake-native is not draft eligible until 2013. Remember the name. If you get out to a Storm game this year you can’t miss him, he’s the huge 6’5 guy on the backend. Speculation is, when he fills out, Harpur will come in somewhere around 6’6, 230 (right now he’s hovering around 185) and is already drawing comparisons to Chris Pronger. And not just because of the size but also because he’s an above-average skater (his midget coach in Niagara Falls Rick Ferroni has a reputation of putting a sharp focus on skating with all his kids and Harpur is proof). Harpur has the mobility of a much smaller player who has a nasty streak as well. He played forward his entire life (right wing specifically) and didn’t take a shift on the blueline until last December but took to the position effortlessly. Come to think of it, given that fact perhaps comparisons to Brent Burns may be better than Pronger?

Look, I’m no scout (I don’t have enough black in my wardrobe for that gig) but this player really impressed me and knowing the Storm organization, they’ll do the right thing and bring him along slowly.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sheet-rfas/

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Oh my God I actually love this pick. I actually like this guy before he even broke into the away chill with the Guelph storm. He is a big player. Some people compared him to Chris Pronger. He is so big and has potential to grow into a solid top 4 defenseman. This is a pick Ottawa will not regret. I absolutely love this pick people have no idea how good this guy can become. He has loads of potential. I have watched this kid for 2 years and he is a great character guy. He does whatever you ask, hit, score, fight, block shots. This guy really reminds me of Paul Martin. He's that good and the fact we just drafted him is so Epic!! I'm that happy. You guys will love this player. I have raved about him for 2 years and now he's on my favorite team

If Jose is happy, I'm happy. :vhappy:

Sounds like a nice prospect. :nod::nod:

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Wow, great draft for Guelph. I've seen quite a bit of Harpur. Very solid d-man, not much offense but very steady is his own end. Great pick.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Comparisons to Burns and Pronger!! All take those anyway. I am a happy man right now

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Tall human punching bag. Looked at 3 online fights and he lost all 3. Spend most of the time turned away from the other guy or ended up on his butt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad