OT: 105th Obsequious Banter Thread: Penny for Your Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
soon to be 4 yo g son runs around the house, repeating and singing those horid liberty mutual commercials. Should I be worried that he will turn out to be an insurance salesman?
My kids enjoy the commercial with all the mother in laws, the ones going through the fridge saying expired, expired.
Yeah well the get that confused with the inspire sleep commercials and run around saying things are inspire, inspire.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.

There would be so much poop in my pants that any other bears would smell me for miles

Originally read that as "Climber Falls Off Bear". Thought "A mountain named Bear or like a real bear?". Turned out better than both of those options. The first move with the dodge bull fighting style was clutch.

I thought this post
@Jack Straw how you making out after the fire? Hopefully life is getting back to normal.

followed directly by the start of this post

My hot take, or maybe my opinion. Geddy Lee was the weak link with Rush.

was leading to a possibly offensive joke.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
10 year anniversary next August and talking about possibly Hawaii trip.

Anyone been there? Best time to go between Aug-Dec?
Any time is a good time to go, but your dates roughly coincide with hurricane season.

We went in September (not this year) and the weather was amazing; obviously something you can't plan for in advance.

Oahu is the popular tourist island. We did Hawaii (the Big Island) and it was much quieter, by comparison, but also also fun beaches, hiking, and golf. Plus it has the observatory, and you can get some pretty awesome looks at the sky there.

I haven't hit the other islands, but I'm sure you could find paradise on every one.

Not to direct you away, but you'd have a much shorter commute to the Caribbean, which offers many of the same perks. ;)

Reactions: Tripod and Rebels57

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

We went in November several years back. Nice weather, though we were pushing rainy season.

Reactions: Tripod

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Question: Is it grocery shopping or food shopping?

I mean what's the difference?

Had somebody say food shopping is a pet peeve to them....lol

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Question: Is it grocery shopping or food shopping?

I mean what's the difference?

Had somebody say food shopping is a pet peeve to them....lol

The simplest demarcation for me is "food" shopping means buying food, but "grocery" shopping means food and other household items.

Either way, they're colloquially used the same.

Reactions: Embiid

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

Been there 10 or so times. It basically rains every 4 hours for 30 minutes (not really, but kinda). It's humid, but not HOTAF Florida humid. I don't think there is a real bad time to go.

Aside from Pearl Harbor, I'm not a fan of Oahu.

I think Maui is the best, as it has everything, tourist stuff and outdoors stuff, in a mostly compact package . The big island is great, but so very spread out. I've stayed in Kona alot, and have some now distant family in Hilo. The big island doesn't have alot of touristy stuff like Waikiki. Kauai was all outdoors stuff, and closed at 8pm (this was 15 years ago). I didn't go to princeville though.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
My life right now...

Dining room
tempImagePFiHPZ.jpg

Also dining room
tempImageeOxwub.jpg

Ye Olde Kitchen
tempImagebKp8Gm.jpg

Living room
tempImageteDwSS.jpg

Den/family room/office
tempImage30u2am.jpg

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015

Adding: We did Kona, the Big Island, and Moloka'i, with one night on Oahu before flying out.

If you want to kick back and get away, Moloka'i is the place. One hotel, no stop lights. There's still things like hiking and diving, as well as the mule ride down into the leper colony, but a lot fewer tourists than anywhere else.

The Muanakea observatory on Hawai'i is really neat. It's open at night and they have telescopes set up for viewing stars and other visible bodies.

Kona has the Na'pali coast (think the helicopter flight in in Jurassic Park) and is a bit less crowded than Oahu IME.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
My life right now...

Dining room
View attachment 595521

Also dining room
View attachment 595522

Ye Olde Kitchen
View attachment 595524

Living room
View attachment 595523

Den/family room/office
View attachment 595526
Good luck sir! I hope it's fixed soon for you. I had a friend survive the Caldor fire 2 years back. His house survived. He said the bill to clean the house from smoke/heat damage has been well over 250k...(insurance),not to mention the life disruption.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Any time is a good time to go, but your dates roughly coincide with hurricane season.

We went in September (not this year) and the weather was amazing; obviously something you can't plan for in advance.

Oahu is the popular tourist island. We did Hawaii (the Big Island) and it was much quieter, by comparison, but also also fun beaches, hiking, and golf. Plus it has the observatory, and you can get some pretty awesome looks at the sky there.

I haven't hit the other islands, but I'm sure you could find paradise on every one.

Not to direct you away, but you'd have a much shorter commute to the Caribbean, which offers many of the same perks. ;)
Appreciate everyone's feedback!

As for the distance, yeah it's far. But we have done the Caribbean multiple times: Dominican Republic, Mexico x5, Cuba, cruise that visited St.Marteen, Antigua, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, St.Kitts, St. Lucia.

So thinking of something 'special" for 10 year.

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
Appreciate everyone's feedback!

As for the distance, yeah it's far. But we have done the Caribbean multiple times: Dominican Republic, Mexico x5, Cuba, cruise that visited St.Marteen, Antigua, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, St.Kitts, St. Lucia.

So thinking of something 'special" for 10 year.
Oooh. Almost forgot.

If you hit the Big Island, this restaurant is a great treat. It's in Volcano National Park, and if you get a reservation for around sunset, you can see the glow from the Kilauea caldera:

the-rim-dining.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad