OT: 103rd Obsequious Banter Thread: "Summertime, and the livin's easy."

If you had to fight a tortoise or a sloth, which do you choose?

• Tortoise

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Sloth

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I think the only time I had Jim’s was when there used to be one at the Roosevelt Mall. It was so long ago I honestly don’t even remember & it seems like this one got shut down for too many health code violations around 2017 anyway.

The original Steve’s is right down the street from there on Bustleton Ave. So it probably didn’t really have a chance anyway. People in the Northeast are way too loyal to Steve’s & Joe’s.
I grew up in Abington, never went to Steve's until a few years ago and it was excellent. We used to rely on Joseph's, which I guess is in Fox Chase, Piccolo's, and Old Napoli which was right by Huntingdon Pike and Rockledge Ave. Joseph's had really good cheesesteaks and hoagies.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I grew up in Abington, never went to Steve's until a few years ago and it was excellent. We used to rely on Joseph's, which I guess is in Fox Chase, Piccolo's, and Old Napoli which was right by Huntingdon Pike and Rockledge Ave. Joseph's had really good cheesesteaks and hoagies.
I live a couple of miles away from Dalessandros.....I mean it is ok but also overrated. Chubby's across the street is actually probably better although its been some time I have done the taste test. Trying to cut back on the red meat...

Steve's off Cottman in the NE is actually pretty good IMO but it's been some time as well...I know some people prefer the chopped up steaks vs the slices.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah the two big spots in the Northeast didn’t really get the attention beyond locals until like the last decade or so. Obviously it’s not a tourist part of the city & the locals in the center & southern part act like the northern part of the city doesn’t even exist. So it went under the radar for a while.

I think it was like Glen Macanow from WIP did his cheesesteak list with like 40 or so locations in & around the city I think that helped the perception. I think even he admitted much to his surprise that the Northeast low key had some really good spots. I think Steve’s, Joe’s, & the Grey Lodge were in his top 5-10. The Grey Lodge is now closed. At was like a bar/restaurant type place in Lower Mayfair.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I went to Steve’s once and felt cheated by the amount of meat in the sandwich. I think there was one slice.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I live a couple of miles away from Dalessandros.....I mean it is ok but also overrated. Chubby's across the street is actually probably better although its been some time I have done the taste test. Trying to cut back on the red meat...

Steve's off Cottman in the NE is actually pretty good IMO but it's been some time as well...I know some people prefer the chopped up steaks vs the slices.
Chubbys is the best in that area hands down.

Yeah the two big spots in the Northeast didn’t really get the attention beyond locals until like the last decade or so. Obviously it’s not a tourist part of the city & the locals in the center & southern part act like the northern part of the city doesn’t even exist. So it went under the radar for a while.

I think it was like Glen Macanow from WIP did his cheesesteak list with like 40 or so locations in & around the city I think that helped the perception. I think even he admitted much to his surprise that the Northeast low key had some really good spots. I think Steve’s, Joe’s, & the Grey Lodge were in his top 5-10. The Grey Lodge is now closed. At was like a bar/restaurant type place in Lower Mayfair.
The gray lodge closed? I actually kinda liked that spot.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I go there fairly frequently. There are times where I feel like the sandwich is massive and they gave me extra meat and then other times where it’s not.

No rhyme or reason.
Get the steak meat as a burger. So much better. There’s no rhyme or reason that it is, but it is.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I go there fairly frequently. There are times where I feel like the sandwich is massive and they gave me extra meat and then other times where it’s not.

No rhyme or reason.
The one time I was there it was plenty more than adequate. This was the one off I95, I think near Academy Rd. I got a hoagie to take home for dinner too and it was excellent.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
The best part about Steve's is the liquid American cheese. It absolutely shits on regular whiz.

That said, cooper sharp is the pinnacle of cheese steak cheese. Angelo's (who makes the best steak in the city) has been known to make cooper sharp long hot whiz as well as cooper/long hot bread on occasion. Consider yourself lucky if you stumble upon either of those opportunities.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Any of you dog people use invisible fence? I just had it installed because my smaller dog dug under the nice wood fence I had installed and got out. Now the company that installed is giving me training to do and wondering how effective this training is.
I remember a neighbor putting one in their back yard. The dog got shocked once, then refused to ever go out in the back yard! Our second dog would not come in from the yard. Bought a shock collar. He learned to listen quickly. It is that "teenage" time around 2 that you need to enforce control. After that they listen, at least Spaniels do.

Reactions: Jack Straw

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The best part about Steve's is the liquid American cheese. It absolutely shits on regular whiz.

That said, cooper sharp is the pinnacle of cheese steak cheese. Angelo's (who makes the best steak in the city) has been known to make cooper sharp long hot whiz as well as cooper/long hot bread on occasion. Consider yourself lucky if you stumble upon either of those opportunities.

Steve’s is heavy handed with that cheese too. I prefer that personally. My dad only likes a little bit of cheese wiz so even when I ask for light on the cheese it’s still pretty heavy.

Light to them is probably a normal proportion of cheese to every where else. It got to the point I was just tired of hearing him complain I just got the steak with onions & no cheese. I just got a cheese wiz cup & put it on light myself. My dad just likes a thin drizzle of it.

I think light to them is like one scoop of the cheese & a dousing of it opposed a multiple one which is the normal.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Any of you dog people use invisible fence? I just had it installed because my smaller dog dug under the nice wood fence I had installed and got out. Now the company that installed is giving me training to do and wondering how effective this training is.
I have an Aussie so there is no need!

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I remember a neighbor putting one in their back yard. The dog got shocked once, then refused to ever go out in the back yard! Our second dog would not come in from the yard. Bought a shock collar. He learned to listen quickly. It is that "teenage" time around 2 that you need to enforce control. After that they listen, at least Spaniels do.
This dog is 6 and I’ve had her for 5 years now. She’s pretty timid, gets frightened by thunder and other loud noises. We did the first day of training today and I could see that it really stressed her.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
This dog is 6 and I’ve had her for 5 years now. She’s pretty timid, gets frightened by thunder and other loud noises. We did the first day of training today and I could see that it really stressed her.
Nervous pups are tough. Mon has a shelter dog that is now 14, she has never been been trainable. Scared of her own farts.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Is the Joe's being talked about the place that used to be called Chink's?

Cuz its weird. I lived about 8 to 10 blocks away from it for a few years and had steak sandwiches a number of times because they had a family deal type thing with # steaks + # fries. I never thought there was anything that special about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad