OT: 101st Obsequious Banter Thread: The One After One 0 0, Oh My

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So will someone answer a question for me? Why couldn’t the police enter a school that had a armed assailant for 40 minutes or whatever it was. They knew the guy only had one thing in mind when he entered the school. They saw him. Why couldn’t they take him down before he entered the school. Then they had to wait until border patrol showed up.
So many things don’t make sense.
Enter Infowars....

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
FWIW, I haven't shared any thoughts on this issue, so please don't tell me I'd rather do nothing. I just called you out for you resorting to attacking and calling people names just because they don't have the same beliefs as you.

I don't own a gun, I've never shot a gun, I've never had any desire to own a gun, but thank you for assuming.

If I mischaracterized your views on this by assuming they were in line with the poster you were defending (sort of) and regularly agree with, I do apologize for that.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's ridiculous to pay the high entry fee and then pay even more to get to do the best stuff.

To be fair you dont have to pay extra to ride it...you'll just have to wait in line for hours. Thats fine for some but not for me..ill pay the $14-17. Hate wasting time waiting in lines.

Reactions: Cody Webster

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
False, the kinetic energy imparted from an AR-15 round is massively larger than a handgun round. Organs are ruptured to a degree that doesn't happen with slower rounds. Bones are shattered to a degree that doesn't happen with slower rounds.

There is a myth that the AR-15 platform fires an underpowered round. It's exactly that: a myth. There are accounts from the 1870s of soldiers firing .51 and .45-70 rounds and complaining they are too weak despite being able to down a horse with one shot. Every soldier through the ages tends to always be convinced their bullets are the worst and demands more power.
Nothing I've said is incorrect. The .233 round can kill. The military has been using it the last 60 years. But you can take multiple shots in the vitals and survive. The military has been reporting this since Vietnam. I've shot deer with wide, heavier bullets moving faster than the .223 (kinetic energy) and have left holes barley bigger than the round itself.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nothing I've said is incorrect. The .233 round can kill. The military has been using it the last 60 years. But you can take multiple shots in the vitals and survive. The military has been reporting this since Vietnam. I've shot deer with wide, heavier bullets moving faster than the .223 (kinetic energy) and have left holes barley bigger than the round itself.

I don't know what to tell you except to go check out the huge body of ballistics and medical research that disagrees with your statement.

Edit: by the way, both sides of the Vietnam war were absolutely certain their opponents' rounds were stronger. Every soldier is positive they're effective and it's the bullets that aren't.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It just gets worse and worse..

He shot toward two witnesses across the street at a funeral home before walking into one of the buildings, making entry to the school at about 11:40 a.m., Escalon said.

Despite previous accounts provided by law enforcement, Escalon said the shooter was not confronted by a police officer on the campus.

About four minutes later, local police including the Uvalde Police Department arrived on the scene.

"They hear gunfire, they take rounds, they get back, take cover, and during that time, they approach where the suspect is at," he said.

During that time, the shooter made his way through the hallways of one of the buildings and walked into a classroom that, according to Escalon, had its doors open.

"The initial officers, they received gunfire," Escalon said. "They received gunfire. They don't make entry initially because of the gunfire they receive, but we have officers calling for additional resources — everybody in that area."

The requested resources included negotiators, body armor, and a tactical team to the school. Escalon said officers also proceeded to try to evacuate students and teachers. But despite the large law enforcement presence surging on the school, officers then waited more than an hour for a tactical team from Border Patrol to arrive before confronting the shooter.

Officials will be conducting a review of the incident, including looking at whether officers could have arrived sooner to the school. Rep. Joaquin Castro called for that review to be handled by the FBI to clear up the "conflicting accounts" of local authorities.

"You got to understand, it's a small town," Escalon told reporters on Thursday.

But Escalon declined to answer questions as to whether law enforcement followed best practices for active shooter situations, which include attempting to confront the gunman immediately in order to reduce the number of injured and casualties.

"Law enforcement’s purpose is to stop the active shooter as soon as possible," a Department of Homeland Security pamphlet reads, as one example. "Officers will proceed directly to the area in which the last shots were heard."

They arrived 4 minutes after the shooter. He fired at them and so they took cover and did nothing, allowing him to then go to a classroom.

Had they the courage to do their jobs, they could have saved lives.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
In no way in the answer to the US issues with mass shootings, to give teachers guns. Christ sake.

Teachers get shit pay, deal with lots of shitty kids raised by shitty parents and as a whole, most have a heart of gold. As we have seen, they often sacrifice themselves for the kids. They don't want guns. They don’t want violence.

Fix the actual f***ing problem. People don't need to have guns on them in public. People don't need to EVER own a semi automatic weapon.

You want the right to bear Arms, well then you get the gun when that shit was written. They never envisioned today's world especially the US issues with guns.

But nothing will get done because your system is broken. Canada passed laws after its mass shooting and 2 years later, there was change. Sadly the US Is CLEARLY divided and care more about money and their side, than fixing a broken system.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
AR-15 is not a gun that is usually fired once correct? Isn’t the weapon made to fire multiple rounds in a few seconds?
I don’t care who owns a gun if it is for self defense. I just think it should be harder to obtain one then it is now. Especially in a state like Texas where you can buy something that kills just as easy as anything else.
It’s designed to fire as fast as one can pull the trigger. One bullet per pull. The same capability as a semi auto handgun or semi auto shotgun.

So will someone answer a question for me? Why couldn’t the police enter a school that had a armed assailant for 40 minutes or whatever it was. They knew the guy only had one thing in mind when he entered the school. They saw him. Why couldn’t they take him down before he entered the school. Then they had to wait until border patrol showed up.
So many things don’t make sense.
They could have and should have. I don’t claim to know for certain of their procedures but I believe it’s held standard that a barricade situation is to stand by for further instructions but gunshots being heard is a clear signal to go.
As far as him entering the building, info about that seems to change constantly so I won’t comment on that beyond not understanding why they didn’t stop him there, wonder how he got in, and why they didn’t follow him in then. He wasn’t barricaded at that point he was fleeing.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Am I dreaming this or wasn't there an idea way back that the constitution should be changed every 20 years or so

Reactions: Amorgus

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad