Post-Game Talk: 100!

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I hope we can rest a couple other guys too quite honestly. Not sure if we’re even able to call up more AHL guys, but I’m sure Drai/Hyman/etc could use a rest with the schedule we have.

Ekholm looked so much better after a 5 day break, I bet his hip issue is kinda always lingering and letting it rest up can make you feel great for months.

I really wanna know what’s bugging McDavid, like if it’s something that could return to 100% with rest in the off season or surgery. I want McDavid scoring more goals again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think he read it as points/game but you were posting ppwerplay points/game
I'm still trying to parse what the post means. I was reading it as total points because of the phrasing like " 88 goals and 178pts/179games. "

As written I don't understand it.

I'm assuming now this meant GFON PP/60mins?

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
:rolleyes: Yup, he was definitely a suspend in a game they one 5-1 where he was excellent outside of a nice goal from Kolesar.

You people are dumb.

Holloway? I know you're not a big fan of the kid, but that was a solid night which, to me, should earn him more looks.
Definitely a suspend, WTH does that even mean? You people? I knew that was you MR Cherry. He’s slow on wraparounds, I didn’t say he was terrible goalie.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Definitely a suspend, WTH does that even mean? You people? I knew that was you MR Cherry. He’s slow on wraparounds, I didn’t say he was terrible goalie.
I meant to say suspect, so apologies. Yeah, but that point is still dumb because it didn't result in anything and it happens to a lot of goalies

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm still trying to parse what the post means. I was reading it as total points because of the phrasing like " 88 goals and 178pts/179games. "

As written I don't understand it.

I'm assuming now this meant GFON PP/60mins?
My post says exactly what it was meant to say. After his first three years in the league Nuge was 8th in power play points per 60 minutes over that period behind the seven players I mentioned, Backstrom, Giroux, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Ovechkin and James Neal. All of them would clearly be viewed as top stars except possibly Neal who many may not think of as a top offensive star given how his career ended. However, as I pointed out in those three years Neal was actually a top point producer with 178 points in 179 games played over those three years. ie:

Neal may look out of place in this list but we do need to remember that over those three years he had 88 goals and 178 points in 179 games.
In fact over those three years Neal was tied for 17th in total points.

The point being made by @bucks_oil that I was responding to was that Nuge has always been a top pp producer even before McDavid. This reinforces that.

Reactions: oljimmy

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He was literally setting up RNH and Hyman multiple times as I mentioned in my original post. If they cashed those Grade A chances, maybe your opinion on him changes.

As another poster mentioned, the league's top producers are the ones that lead the league in turnovers. What's more important: a flawless game without creating any offensive chances or a riskier style that results in the odd turnover but creates a lot of offence?

I don't buy this "points aren't everything" perspective. Points LITERALLY contribute to goals, which ultimately helps your team wins games. I don't understand why so many people completely disregard his elite offensive contributions and focus on the occasional bad pass or turnover. I can't wrap my head around why this player is SO unappreciated, especially among his own fanbase.

I hardly think the word "abysmal" applies to his performance last night. He's had a down year and some bad games, but last night certainly wasn't one of them.
Points aren't everything in the playoffs. You need to play the right way. 62 win Tampa learned that after being swept by CBJ, the Oilers seems to be learning this now

I'll admit I might have been a little hard on Drai, he did some great stuff last game, looked good with his new line mates, but he had a few BAD turnovers ones that you shouldn't make. You can't win in Playoffs doing this.

He also had a few lazy forechecks. Stuff the stats don't show

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My post says exactly what it was meant to say. After his first three years in the league Nuge was 8th in power play points per 60 minutes over that period behind the seven players I mentioned, Backstrom, Giroux, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Ovechkin and James Neal. All of them would clearly be viewed as top stars except possibly Neal who many may not think of as a top offensive star given how his career ended. However, as I pointed out in those three years Neal was actually a top point producer with 178 points in 179 games played over those three years. ie:

In fact over those three years Neal was tied for 17th in total points.

The point being made by @bucks_oil that I was responding to was that Nuge has always been a top pp producer even before McDavid. This reinforces that.
Thanks for the explanation. Well expressed and clear now.

Points aren't everything in the playoffs. You need to play the right way. 62 win Tampa learned that after being swept by CBJ, the Oilers seems to be learning this now

I'll admit I might have been a little hard on Drai, he did some great stuff last game, looked good with his new line mates, but he had a few BAD turnovers ones that you shouldn't make. You can't win in Playoffs doing this.

He also had a few lazy forechecks. Stuff the stats don't show
Drai leads the team in TKA. The stats do show that. In addition to being 2nd only to McD in NHL production the last 8 seasons I think it probable that we're getting our moneys worth. More than 50NHL players make as much or more than Drai does.

Reactions: Duke74

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
As bad as 6 games in 9 days is...5 games in 7 days is worse.

Its inexcusable.
I seriously wonder how many other NHL teams have had to deal with this?
It wouldnt surprise me at all if this was another NHL Oilers special.
When the first round of the playoffs was a best of five, teams played (potentially) 4 games in 5 nights. That’s the closest I can remember to your scenario and that’s really not as bad and the league dumped that format many years ago. That this schedule was foisted on the Oilers and only the Oilers (no other team finishes with a schedule remotely similar to this) an argument can certainly be made the league is attempting to manipulate the post season. As eye rolling as that might sound, anybody that’s watched Oiler playoff games and seen for themselves the officiating the Oilers have had to overcome knows they aren’t a favourite franchise of the league.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When the first round of the playoffs was a best of five, teams played (potentially) 4 games in 5 nights. That’s the closest I can remember to your scenario and that’s really not as bad and the league dumped that format many years ago. That this schedule was foisted on the Oilers and only the Oilers (no other team finishes with a schedule remotely similar to this) an argument can certainly be made the league is attempting to manipulate the post season. As eye rolling as that might sound, anybody that’s watched Oiler playoff games and seen for themselves the officiating the Oilers have had to overcome knows they aren’t a favourite franchise of the league.
Couldnt agree more.
I will be really curious to see if the League gives the Oilers an extra couple of days before the first round series starts. If they dont then how can anyone objectively look at this and not think that the League is attempting to manipulate the post season?
Not a good look at all.
Stay tuned.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Couldnt agree more.
I will be really curious to see if the League gives the Oilers an extra couple of days before the first round series starts. If they dont then how can anyone objectively look at this and not think that the League is attempting to manipulate the post season?
Not a good look at all.
Stay tuned.
Doesn’t look any better that they bumped up the start date to the post season by 2 days after the regular season schedule was announced. This might partially explain why the Oilers didn’t object to the schedule.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Doesn’t look any better that they bumped up the start date to the post season by 2 days after the regular season schedule was announced. This might partially explain why the Oilers didn’t object to the schedule.
I didnt realize that. Its going from bad to worse.
I mean I get that building availability play a huge role in scheduling but if the League is seriously trying to be fair and impartial then why wouldnt they just extend the season by a day or 2 (to accomodate things) before they sent the schedule out to the teams for approval?
Why then (after approval) go and move the playoffs up by 2 days?
I just dont get this at all.

I also dont get why the Oilers didnt lodge a formal complaint to at the very least shine a light on this BS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad