Post-Game Talk: 100!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You selectively edited my post.
I actually said...If its going to help then there is no reason to play McDavid.
So to expand on that...if it is going to help Connor then its better IMO to prioritize the playoffs as opposed to finishing first.

As I mentioned having to close out what amounts to a long season by playing 6 games in 9 days is a recipe for fatigue and/or injury.
So even in a general sense I would rather see a rested team not finish first as opposed to a more fatigued team finsihing first.
Well, that's my point. I don't think resting McDavid for 2 weeks if he's healthy and ready to go is going to help. Does he really need THAT much rest headed into the playoffs if he's not nursing a lingering injury?

What I'm saying is that there's more choices than just sitting McDavid for the rest of the regular season or playing him 6 games in 9 nights or what is now 5 games in 7 nights.
What I'm suggesting to you is that McDavid should get at least a few games in before the end of the season especially since the division is still up for grabs. If they sat him lets say 2 games, it would be 3 games in 7 nights which I doubt runs him into the ground.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nuge is great on the PP cause it mostly eliminates his weaknesses. This year he is less effective cause he is back to post or just missing the net on most of his shots. His passing though is still great.
Its fair to mention. The objective of course of a PP is to score. To cash. People may not like to look at it but the two players that are NOT finishing as much as they should on the PP are Nuge and McD standing at 4, and 7 PP goals each. Given the chances they've had and feeds they get they should have many more goals playing on that unit. The two have gone cold on the PP. Basically from a scoring pov Drai, Hyman and Booch are contributing lionshare of goals.

McD has only 33% of the PP goals he scored just last season. Nuge has only 26% of last seasons total. Thats more than odd. Really that degree of drop in just one year is hard to fathom.

Difficulty with the unit as a whole is teams can look off Nuge more because he just isn't finishing. So he can get parked in an open spot and teams this year not paying for it. They can overcommit elsewhere on pk.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, that's my point. I don't think resting McDavid for 2 weeks if he's healthy and ready to go is going to help. Does he really need THAT much rest headed into the playoffs if he's not nursing a lingering injury?

What I'm saying is that there's more choices than just sitting McDavid for the rest of the regular season or playing him 6 games in 9 nights.
What I'm suggesting to you is that McDavid should get at least a few games in before the end of the season especially since the division is still up for grabs. If they sat him lets say 2 games, it would be 3 games in 7 nights which I doubt runs him into the ground.
The thing is that you and I dont know the extent of his injury. Thats a very important point.
That is exactly why I framed it the way I did when I said...if it is going to help McDavid.

Again...if it is going to help McDavid (and consequently the team) then I absolutely do support sitting him and prioritizing the playoffs. Especially considering the ridiculous scheule to close out the season.

I am not at all sure why you take issue with this. I mean its a completely reasonable take.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’m down 3 pairs at the moment.

Jets are my #2. Please knock off Colorado. There might even be some underwear in it for you. :naughty:
As long as you get them washed before giving them away.:D

Last night they were missing 5 important pieces, their captain, top dman in the league, top line forward, 2 solid bottom 6 forwards.

I’m not a Vegas fan, but they have been decimated by injury all year, sure hope we get them first round before they get all their chemistry back.
Won't matter, Skinner will outplay whoever they have in net.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The thing is that you and I dont know the extent of his injury. Thats a very important point.
That is exactly why I framed it the way I did when I said...if it is going to help McDavid.

Again...if it is going to help McDavid (and consequently the team) then I absolutely do support sitting him and prioritizing the playoffs. Especially considering the ridiculous scheule to close out the season.

I am not at all sure why you take issue with this. I mean its a completely reasonable take.
If he's injured still then of course you don't play him the rest of the regular season, that should go without saying.

What I'm debating and I thought was being discussed is the rest vs. getting games in argument. If he's injured still, there is no debate, you let him recover until the playoffs.

Do you think Knoblauch and staff as well as McDavid himself are foolish enough to push the envelope for regular season games if he's injured? If he plays in the next week, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that he was given a clean bill of health.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What a fantastic game they played. It's like, without McDavid, they all aren't waiting around for him to do the heavy lifting. From Drai down to Carrick, they all contributed and played a near perfect game, like they had something to prove to everyone else. A big A+ for all of them.

- Skinner was solid, Hill was not
-Nurse played a very good game, but still, a couple brain cramps presented themselves, both resulting in breakaways, one of which was the shorthanded score.
Cody Ceci is playing some of his best hockey now, love to see it.
-Holloway had by far his best game since he turned pro. Was all over the ice, with control, always on the right side of the puck, defensively responsible, and laid a heavy forecheck all night long until he was finally rewarded. Man, if he can continue this on most nights, we have another really good weapon at hand.

I hate St. Louis, but if that OT point they got against us helps them knock Vegas out of the playoffs, and we still finish first in the division, I will forgive them.:D

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If he's injured still then of course you don't play him the rest of the regular season, that should go without saying.

What I'm debating and I thought was being discussed is the rest vs. getting games in argument. If he's injured still, there is no debate, you let him recover until the playoffs.

Do you think Knoblauch and staff as well as McDavid himself are foolish enough to push the envelope for regular season games if he's injured? If he plays in the next week, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that he was given a clean bill of health.
The team had done the same with Drai. Continue to play him through nagging injuries in relatively meaningless regular season down the stretch games.

Its even been widely reported now that last season the Oilers had run McDrai too hard down the stretch, and that potentially they ran out of gas in postseason.

I mean this is why multiple SC winning teams have parked players and played LTIR games and such. Obviously resting star players prior to playoffs is a good idea. If you have that margin and ability to do it, then do it.

One can't with nagging injuries (and I believe the present one is) simply say "clean bill of health" With anything from strains to bruising to contusion etc is not as simple as that. Obviously if theres a substantial injury that precludes playing, and is risky to play with, you don't play. But this late in season teams are dealing with often several players that are less than 100%. By end of playoffs not many players are 100%.

To wit its commonly stated that a player would miss because its regular season, but that the same injury they would be playing if it were playoffs. This indeed was stated relative to the present McD injury.

Reactions: Kinibo

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The team had done the same with Drai. Continue to play him through nagging injuries in relatively meaningless regular season down the stretch games.

Its even been widely reported now that last season the Oilers had run McDrai too hard down the stretch, and that potentially they ran out of gas in postseason.

I mean this is why multiple SC winning teams have parked players and played LTIR games and such. Obviously resting star players prior to playoffs is a good idea. If you have that margin and ability to do it, then do it.

Is there an example of teams resting stars for multiple weeks (not on LTIR or obviously injured) for the sake of rest going into the playoffs?

Again, I'm not suggesting to play McDavid every game. I'm saying that he should get a few games to remain sharp, as long as he has a clean bill of health. If there is lingering injury then you shut him down for the rest of the regular season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
While I completely agree....

Drivesaitl, your bias is showing here - you couldn't leave this one alone? There was nothing in my post that could be construed as me disregarding the contributions of other players to our PP... in fact I specifically mentioned our FOUR playmakers on the PP. I suppose I missed out on mentioning Hyman.

I was simply stating that Nuge's role is sometimes unheralded, which of course can only happen because he is overshadowed by the legitimately Elite HoF level talent he plays with... that was clearly implied. And, as evidence of his unheralded role, I was responding to a poster suggesting we replace him with Evander Kane - and gave the reasons why that wouldn't work.

Also... as further evidence of Nuge's influence on that PP. Check his historical PP60 numbers, they are legit top 10-20 of all time (and were so before McDrai arrived)... and if you recall, in McDrai's first couple of seasons brilliant Eakins had Letestu on PP1 in Nuge's current position and Nuge centering PP2. That change alone led to our PP going from bottom half to top-5 overnight simply due to the puck possession (repossession) attributed to Nuge (not that I should need to say this, but to be clear I mean vs Letestu, not vs McDrai... it being understood and obvious that they were already elite on their own in this regard)
To add to what you said, after his first 3 years in the league Nuge sit 8th in the league in ppp/60 behind Backstrom, Giroux, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Tavares and Ovechkin. Neal may look out of place in this list but we do need to remember that over those three years he had 88 goals and 178 points in 179 games. THis may surprise people who often think Nuge's pp success started with McDavid.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

McDavids situation is being described as a LBI. I have no reason to think thats a bullshit narrative so I am taking it at face value. So thats where I am coming from regarding McDavid.
If the playoffs started tomorrow then McDavid would likely play. Finishing first is not nearly as important IMO so if there is any doubt about playing McDavid then they should absolutely err on the side of caution.

When it comes to finishing first...my take is that I am not convinced that expending the energy required to play 6 games in 9 days (and win the majority of those games) just to finish first is worth it.
Scheduling 6 games in 9 days first and foremost should not even be a thing in the NHL. Its an example of schedule mismanagement by the NHL. Its a recipe for potential fatigue and injury and thats esepcially true to close out a regular season. This is not normal and as such I would prefer the team not expend the energy for an apparent advantage that may not ultimately be worth it.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Is there an example of teams resting stars for multiple weeks (not on LTIR or obviously injured) for the sake of rest going into the playoffs?

Again, I'm not suggesting to play McDavid every game. I'm saying that he should get a few games to remain sharp, as long as he has a clean bill of health. If there is lingering injury then you shut him down for the rest of the regular season.
Has a team ever had to play their final 5 games in 7 days?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Add another poster to the Draisaitl Cult of Hate.

Draisaitl "only" got two points, but could have had numerous others as he set up RNH and Hyman for multiple grade A chances as well as hit a post himself.

I thought that he performed well stepping up in McDavid's absence. At this point, I don't know what people expect from him. Maybe the standard is five points per game while playing a flawless puck possession game and backchecking on every shift.
Dude chill he literally was turning pucks over with spinning behind the back passes constantly. he was playing pond hockey.

That shit ain't going to fly in the playoffs. I am not a Drai hater, I call it like I see it. He had a rough game

Points aren't everything. They can hide abysmal play

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I hear you.
I have been watching hockey a long time and I cant ever remember scheduling this bad.

Does the team actually have a choice? Could they have not signed off on this?
Doubt the league cares what the Oilers say.

You’d have more luck telling the players to go through the PA and file a complaint about there being too many games in a short time period.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Dude chill he literally was turning pucks over with spinning behind the back passes constantly. he was playing pond hockey.

That shit ain't going to fly in the playoffs. I am not a Drai hater, I call it like I see it. He had a rough game

I challenge you to provide any proof that he had a bad game because I completely disagree. I thought he was clearly the best player.

2 points, good advanced stats, only 2 recorded turnovers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
As bad as 6 games in 9 days is...5 games in 7 days is worse.

Its inexcusable.
I seriously wonder how many other NHL teams have had to deal with this?
It wouldnt surprise me at all if this was another NHL Oilers special.
You wouldn't let an AHL team or CHL team play that schedule.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

He was literally setting up RNH and Hyman multiple times as I mentioned in my original post. If they cashed those Grade A chances, maybe your opinion on him changes.

As another poster mentioned, the league's top producers are the ones that lead the league in turnovers. What's more important: a flawless game without creating any offensive chances or a riskier style that results in the odd turnover but creates a lot of offence?

I don't buy this "points aren't everything" perspective. Points LITERALLY contribute to goals, which ultimately helps your team wins games. I don't understand why so many people completely disregard his elite offensive contributions and focus on the occasional bad pass or turnover. I can't wrap my head around why this player is SO unappreciated, especially among his own fanbase.

I hardly think the word "abysmal" applies to his performance last night. He's had a down year and some bad games, but last night certainly wasn't one of them.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Doubt the league cares what the Oilers say.

You’d have more luck telling the players to go through the PA and file a complaint about there being too many games in a short time period.
You give the league too much credit here, it's just a pure incompetence from the league.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To add to what you said, after his first 3 years in the league Nuge sit 8th in the league in ppp/60 behind Backstrom, Giroux, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Tavares and Ovechkin. Neal may look out of place in this list but we do need to remember that over those three years he had 88 goals and 178 points in 179 games. THis may surprise people who often think Nuge's pp success started with McDavid.
I'm confused by this post. Nuge had 132pts in 182 games his first 3 seasons. Only 41 goals.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Has a team ever had to play their final 5 games in 7 days?

I want to reiterate, as I outlined in my previous few posts, that I'm not advocating for McDavid to play all the games. I just don't want him to be shut down for the rest of the regular season simply for rest purposes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad